AFK leveling (/pet hunt)

CraigIstKrieg
Rookie
Rookie

AFK leveling (/pet hunt)

Post by CraigIstKrieg » Wed May 26, 2010 5:31 am

Hey all, I'm level 75 on my engineer now and I'm looking for a good spot for AFK leveling, sorry if you don't approve of this but sometimes I have other things to do and it would be nice to get a bit of XP while I'm away.

Currently I'm in Biomare in the Alpha Bio Construct room, I can set my pet on hunt which is great for about 10 minutes but it get stuck attacking a guard above since the ceiling is bugged. I've tried different places in the Biodome with little success, usually ending up with my pet running off to get 5 mobs and then becoming out of range and lovingly bringing them back to me.

Has anyone got any good suggestions for this type of activity on RK?

Cheers

PS: Sorry if something similar has been posted previously, I tried searching but apparently I don't have search privileges!

Tarradax
Wordbearer

Re: AFK leveling (/pet hunt)

Post by Tarradax » Wed May 26, 2010 6:45 am

One word for you: Missions.

Now, more words: /pet hunt + /follow. Just make sure you have an offensive aura on the bot.

And even more words: AFK-leveling is cheap.
Ye' Olde Fixer Guide, By Me.

/Tarradax, Proud Owner of Questionable Morals.
/Baene, It's Like A Beanbag Chair. With a Gun. And a Temper.
/Bonekrakka, Get Your Choppas Ready, Boyz! Time For A WAAAAAAGH!
/Happythought, Hand-Made Silk Kites! Beautiful Strings!
/Littleshank, Choose Difficulty: []Hard []Medium []Easy []Very Easy [X]Atrox Melee Adventurer.

Completely Unrelated To Anything Link

CraigIstKrieg
Rookie
Rookie

Post by CraigIstKrieg » Wed May 26, 2010 7:28 am

The problem with missions is that you will inevitably run out of enemies and very quickly too. :(

Saavick
ModSquad
ModSquad

Post by Saavick » Wed May 26, 2010 7:59 am

Also if you want to really level afk, not for like the time to make a cup of coffee but for say half an hour, missions are very dangerous since you'll eventually get stuck somewhere and lose /follow on your bot and then when the bot gets too far he'll return with any mobs he was fighting.
You could try some of the villages around the 20k outpost, if you sit somewhere safe on a roof I guess it'll work fine.

That said, I have to mention that afk leveling is indeed pretty lame :D
Saavick 200 doctor Lokuta 200 soldier Violentmeany 200 enforcer Angrymeany 200 engineer
Vladja 200 agent Meany 200 fixer Littlemeany 200 adventurer Skathi 200 soldier
Luettl 199 bureaucrat Nuclearmeany 190 nano-technician Ingundis 182 martial artist
Sunilda 182 meta-physicist Boesemueny 179 trader Haadriah 163 martial artist
Mueny 136 meta-physicist Ryahna 131 adventurer Whaaaaaa 122 bureaucrat
Wildmeany 100 adventurer Svanhvita 100 engineer Kvada 80 enforcer Babysaav 66 doctor
Vladdy 64 trader Achilla 60 soldier Angrymueny 60 fixer Ealhswith 56 agent
Enragedmeany 25 enforcer Yngvildr 15 soldier

Llie
Seasoned
Seasoned

Post by Llie » Wed May 26, 2010 8:28 am

I've never really tried this, but I've always wondered: for maximal lameness, would it be possible to set an engy pet -- just about any engy pet -- loose in a backyard and leave yourself logged in for a few days, weeks... whatever, and get 1XP per virtually insta-spawned mob forever. :laughing8:

Saavick
ModSquad
ModSquad

Post by Saavick » Wed May 26, 2010 8:31 am

Llie wrote:I've never really tried this, but I've always wondered: for maximal lameness, would it be possible to set an engy pet -- just about any engy pet -- loose in a backyard and leave yourself logged in for a few days, weeks... whatever, and get 1XP per virtually insta-spawned mob forever. :laughing8:
hahaha :D
Saavick 200 doctor Lokuta 200 soldier Violentmeany 200 enforcer Angrymeany 200 engineer
Vladja 200 agent Meany 200 fixer Littlemeany 200 adventurer Skathi 200 soldier
Luettl 199 bureaucrat Nuclearmeany 190 nano-technician Ingundis 182 martial artist
Sunilda 182 meta-physicist Boesemueny 179 trader Haadriah 163 martial artist
Mueny 136 meta-physicist Ryahna 131 adventurer Whaaaaaa 122 bureaucrat
Wildmeany 100 adventurer Svanhvita 100 engineer Kvada 80 enforcer Babysaav 66 doctor
Vladdy 64 trader Achilla 60 soldier Angrymueny 60 fixer Ealhswith 56 agent
Enragedmeany 25 enforcer Yngvildr 15 soldier

Homestar
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Homestar » Wed May 26, 2010 8:58 am

Unless you do this with REALLY weak targets that your pet will finish off with no problem, there really isn't anywhere where AFK leveling is worthwhile. Anywhere where the killin' is good has a chance of your pet loosing aggro or social mobs going after you as well.

The very concept of your idea reminded me of AFKhemists(AFK Chemists) back when I used to play Ragnarok Online. They got a pet that you could sort of script AI for. A majority of them went to some lower level dungeon and set their pet to full aggro while they slept. Really ticked a lot of people off, but that's a whole other story.

Tarradax
Wordbearer

Post by Tarradax » Wed May 26, 2010 12:35 pm

Llie wrote:I've never really tried this, but I've always wondered: for maximal lameness, would it be possible to set an engy pet -- just about any engy pet -- loose in a backyard and leave yourself logged in for a few days, weeks... whatever, and get 1XP per virtually insta-spawned mob forever. :laughing8:
Until the point the pet aggros the guard....
Ye' Olde Fixer Guide, By Me.

/Tarradax, Proud Owner of Questionable Morals.
/Baene, It's Like A Beanbag Chair. With a Gun. And a Temper.
/Bonekrakka, Get Your Choppas Ready, Boyz! Time For A WAAAAAAGH!
/Happythought, Hand-Made Silk Kites! Beautiful Strings!
/Littleshank, Choose Difficulty: []Hard []Medium []Easy []Very Easy [X]Atrox Melee Adventurer.

Completely Unrelated To Anything Link

idef
Flagged
Flagged

Post by idef » Thu May 27, 2010 2:24 am

If you managed to kill one mob every second, it'd take 65 years 4 months 10.44 days to level from zero xp to level 200. And if you started now, you'd be finished in September, 2075.

Level 100 would only take 1 year 4.965 days,
lvl60 1 month 6.166 days and
lvl24 2 days 15 hours 22 minutes 30 seconds.

But only if my simplification of constant flow of xp at rate of 1 xp/s would be true.

(Can you run AO in virtual machine...)
Don't ask me, I just lurk here... and post mostly webdev stuff. What was this forum about again?
Idef 174 fixer / Badhorse 200 crat with the hat / Aidef 220/30/70 fixer (this one might be paid)

CraigIstKrieg
Rookie
Rookie

Post by CraigIstKrieg » Thu May 27, 2010 2:50 am

Very impressive figures lol, I think it might be slightly more productive to level while at the keyboard.

I'll test out some areas and come back with my results. I only wanted a few levels - my girlfriend and I work full time so can only play on weekends and it would be nice if we weren't grinding constantly whenever we played so I guess I'm not that lame for wanting to AFK level?

Randomchance
Seasoned
Seasoned

Post by Randomchance » Thu May 27, 2010 4:49 am

Whats so great about the destination that you are so keen to get there? Relax and have fun on the journey.

If you are really keen to get afk pet leveling to work, try scripting it a little.
(for example /pet hunt, select-pet, /assist, /pet follow, /pet attack, rinse and repeat to pull one mob back to you at a time)

If you cant manage to figure that out, try going to one of the camps and /pet hunt /follow and see how far away/how many tower fields you attack. :wink:
Metalomania - recovered from the ether december 2010!
Gablerg & Killermuppet - recovered from the ether january 2011!
(seriously guys, keep track of those toons!)
Froob Configurations

CraigIstKrieg
Rookie
Rookie

Post by CraigIstKrieg » Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:59 am

Well at the moment we are kinda stuck, can't upgrade, skills are locked so can't spend IP, no new nanos etc, it's boring just leveling and leveling which makes me want to skip a few levels.

I've already got a 220 char but I'm playing the game as a froob to introduce her :)