T4 Solo - I must be doing something wrong?

Turin
Rookie
Rookie

T4 Solo - I must be doing something wrong?

Post by Turin » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:07 am

As a young Nanomage Engeneer, life was easy. At around level 75, focussing on BBB (bigger better bot) only, I could self cast a level 96 bot and do missions 20-30 levels above my own. Approaching T4 and it was getting harder and harder. I ran into Tier limits and was stuck with my (self cast) level 100 Bot for ages. It is not fun to run around with a level 100 Bot at level 99 :(
I was thinking, that as soon as you reach T4, everything would become much better and easier, with higher limits and more points to distribute. So from 90 to 100 I saved as many points as I could, looking forward to push my nano skills as soon as I reach T4.
Now at 100 I am a little shocked, because I found out that the limit is only extended by like 3 points. My setup looks like this: INT, PSYCHIC, BODY DEV, NANO POOL, CL; TREATMENT, MM, TS, MC, BM are maxed. SI and PM are almost maxed.

I am wearing upgraded Nelebs Robe, 400 Tokens Omni Board, 2x Virral Triumvirate Eggs and the rest is filled with ordinary Cyber Armor. To come to the weak spot, Im wearing QL 100 implants.

I am able to self cast a QL 116 Shell wich only gives a 103 Bot. So what can you do as a solo froob if you want to play without mochis and wrangles and any other outside buffs? Does it get better?

Saavick
ModSquad
ModSquad

Re: T4 Solo - I must be doing something wrong?

Post by Saavick » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:32 am

My engi casted about a similar level bot at late tl3, it's not your gimpess or so, it's normal. Sure, you could wear higher imps, but a lvl110 bot instead of a 100 won't be that different. On the bright side, the next 25 levels will get you 5 MC/TS per level and some extra from raising intelligence. So your bot level should start to raise faster than your engineer level again.

I have to ask though, why don't you want to use mochams? If you use a bot that you can cast with mochams and then control it selfbuffed, you can keep it until you log off. Just make sure you don't need the mochams also to control the bot, then you'd need rebuffs every hour.
Personally, at level 125ish I was able to control the level 200 slayer selfbuffed (but needed outside buffs to cast it). Around that level I also installed my Ql200 implants, which isn't very hard anymore by then.
Saavick 200 doctor Lokuta 200 soldier Violentmeany 200 enforcer Angrymeany 200 engineer
Vladja 200 agent Meany 200 fixer Littlemeany 200 adventurer Skathi 200 soldier
Luettl 199 bureaucrat Nuclearmeany 190 nano-technician Ingundis 182 martial artist
Sunilda 182 meta-physicist Boesemueny 179 trader Haadriah 163 martial artist
Mueny 136 meta-physicist Ryahna 131 adventurer Whaaaaaa 122 bureaucrat
Wildmeany 100 adventurer Svanhvita 100 engineer Kvada 80 enforcer Babysaav 66 doctor
Vladdy 64 trader Achilla 60 soldier Angrymueny 60 fixer Ealhswith 56 agent
Enragedmeany 25 enforcer Yngvildr 15 soldier

Turin
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Turin » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:11 am

Saavick wrote:...I have to ask though, why don't you want to use mochams? ...
Thank you for the detailed answer. That gives hope for later levels.

To answer your question: I don't actively play AO anymore and my paid account is long gone. I mainly play it for nostalgic reasons, because of the good sound and mood you get in game and because it's one of the old school / harder games out there, if you compare it to all the new MMORPGS on the market. I have some Froob accounts and some chars, for example a t4 fixer, which is also level 100. But i only made what is fun to me and a MP is not among them :(
As I said, I don't regulary play it anymore and an Engeneer is almost perfect to play for one hour after work. I usually log in, do 1 mission 30 levels above mine to get half a level and log off again. So when I come online, I don't want to beg for mochams before I am able to play at all.

Is it worth to quickly make a level 21 MP? I did never think about it because I usually don't like pet classes, but Engeneers are different from anything I have seen so far in other games.

Same goes for implants. This is my first tradeskiller and I planned to make my own implants. I will need about 600 NP to make my own 150 Implants, so I guess it will be a long time untill I can wear my 200's.

Saavick
ModSquad
ModSquad

Post by Saavick » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:27 am

Okay I understand your reasoning why you don't use mochams. It's a bit like playing a soldier who doesn't ask for a wrangle to equip his weapon. It will hinder your performance a bit, but you can still be viable.
Turin wrote:Same goes for implants. This is my first tradeskiller and I planned to make my own implants. I will need about 600 NP to make my own 150 Implants, so I guess it will be a long time untill I can wear my 200's.
This I would really, strongly, recommend to not do. Give me a tell in game on Saavick if you're on Rk1 and I'll make your implants for you. Making implants is indeed fun, I enjoy tradeskilling a lot myself. But you shouldn't aim to build implants and then wear them yourself.
The sounds and atmosphere are an important part of the game, but so is the ability to customise and heavily twink your character. You can go casual of course, which is perfectly fine, but I fear you will weaken yourself to an extent where you will enjoy the game less because of it.
Saavick 200 doctor Lokuta 200 soldier Violentmeany 200 enforcer Angrymeany 200 engineer
Luettl 199 bureaucrat Nuclearmeany 190 nano-technician Ingundis 182 martial artist
Wildmeany 100 adventurer Svanhvita 100 engineer Kvada 80 enforcer Babysaav 66 doctor

Turin
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Turin » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:54 am

Saavick wrote:... but so is the ability to customise and heavily twink your character. You can go casual of course, which is perfectly fine, but I fear you will weaken yourself to an extent where you will enjoy the game less because of it...
Of course I know that you are right. I just don't have such an arsenal of chars to buff and equip myself and I don't want to bother anyone. My Doc is on the paid account (inactive) so I cant even buff Treatment to equip them myself...

Although I am German, I am (for obvious reasons) on RK1 and I would gladly take your offer and pay you for them. I have a set of 150er empty ones but no clusters yet. Should we use them or go for 200 straight? Maybe it would be best to trust in your experience and have a set made by yourself for me?

I am writing from work. I cant come online yet, but luckily we live in the same timezone.

Rgds,
Turin
(char is Turanba)

Saavick
ModSquad
ModSquad

Post by Saavick » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:14 pm

It depends, I think I'd go for the 150s for now since you'll benefit directly from them and Ql200s would be for in about 25 levels. But you'll have to buy both Ql150s and Ql200s then, which is more expensive :)
The midway would be to just upgrade your most important implants (head, eye, right hand with MatCrea and Time&Space and chest and left arm with MatMetam) and leave the rest.

If you are interested you can inspect my engi in game to get some inspiration for the clusters :)

I'll try to be on Saavick tomorrow evening more than today ;)

Llie
Seasoned
Seasoned

Post by Llie » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:19 pm

This is a fact of life for lvls 100-150 for engys. You should not measure your bot by what you can self, but by how high a bot you can command without it going OE when your buffs run out.

Look for me or my alts in RK1. I will gladly give you a wrangle or a mocham (or both!) if I'm around. Look around for Barador Arin players if you are Neutral or Clan. Our org hangs out in Old Athen across the street from the basic shops down by the west entrance.

Tenchii
Fresh
Fresh

Post by Tenchii » Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:53 pm

Hiya, first of all: you dont need an army of alts to buff you! This is a MULTIplayer game. I never ever paid for doc nor enfo'buffs. If you see an MP in a town you normally get buffed for free also. Use some nice words and ask him/her/it what you could do in return and you most likely have the MP just smiling and telling you to just have fun and give him a call if you need new buffs :) . If you want to get higher imps on, you will .. even more thou as you have found this bord. (If language is a concern, the OOT-japn chat is used by us germans atm, you can happily talk german there without disturbing rules)

If you want to play engi selfbuffed thats completely ok, I leveled up like that also. Your Bot-level isnt all that important if you use your wide amounts of bot-buffs. Just make sure you have the best nanos you can cast and buff your bot with the usual stuff:
* Combat Array / Aggression Subsystem ( dont slack here, even switch equip for the moment of casting it )
*+dmg (the general +5 if you dont have the others)
* your best reflect shield (pet + reflects + later blinds are our core-lines )
* your best AC-nano
* your best dmg-shield (this isnt alot of dmg, but it helps the bot hold aggro)
* a trimmer improving the bots hittingspeed and critrate (must redo it after every zoning http://auno.org/ao/db.php?id=88384" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; )
* a trimmer adding a taunt to every hit of your bot (must redo it after every zoning http://auno.org/ao/db.php?id=154940&ql=100" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; )
[ you can add a short-time-dmg-trimmer and the general regeneration buff on the bot, but that'd be finetuning and normally not needed. Your AC-aura helps also btw ]

Most classes are into "kiting" at that levelrange. Engi has a very good toolset for that also, but requires some training to use. Send in your bot and add some shooting with your CDRs (or whatever you use). Once you got aggro, run mediumsized circles. -> a meleemob (and some melee/ranged hybrids like Cyborgs) will chase you around instead of hitting you constantly. If your runspeed isnt too shabby you wont get hit too often while your bot kills the mob. IF you lost a good amount of your HP and want to heal there is a solution also, even thou we got no healnanos: Wait for the bot to fetch aggro (yellow combat text) and rapidly sit-healkit-standup and start running again.

If you are into grouping (and you should as it is great stuff) , the problem with engi is that others can clearly see the level of your main weapon, your bot. This will decide what kind of ppl you can group with, as some ambitious ppl might ignore you. Other classes have it easier, as you cant easily see the QL of thier Rifle / Assaultrifle / Shotgun / Pistol. -> Thats the mainreason to fetch some mochams if you plan to play multiple hours a specific day. Your Bot will look good and you will enjoy some grouping (which is really really fun!)

Concerning imps, either you find credit-making easy (selling shopfood is a nice way to make that 1,5m) and get into 150s for 25-30 levels or you get used to make up for it by alot of activity and maybe mochams and do ql200 later on. Like already mentioned, Tradeskilling is purely to help out others, AO is setup to force playerinteractions and thus you cant really create stuff the engi on the engi)

Whatever you do, have fun (and maybe keep us updated)
~Tenchii
- - Tenchii lvl 199 Engi - - ( MA-Engi is really strong and alot of fun. Please dont hide as Engi, blinds=GA'like stayingpower)
- - Steffilein TL.5 Doc - - -( if you love weapons, use them and never stand back, the new items make "docs are scarce on IP" a lie )
- - Netherstorm TL.5 MP - ( my 4th MP. 2he Trox this time. Yes i like pet'classes that are in the midst of it )
- - Bigchii TL.5 Enforcer - ( Evade-Enfo, a good way to get docs bored )

Homestar
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Homestar » Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:09 am

With regards to armor, since you seem to be emphasizing INT/PSY, you may want to ditch the Cyber Armor for either Nano Armor(Ql 100 Chest shown) or Waitt Cyber Armor(again Ql 100 Chest shown).

You also didn't mention what kind of weapon you are using. If by chance you use Pistols and don't mind losing out on damage dealing, The Pepper Pistol Line and the Old English Trading Company pistol line can potentially help you get a better bot on.

GDB2222
Veteran
Veteran

Post by GDB2222 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:10 am

I would say that Outside Buffs are the way to go. I honestly think it makes the game much more fun to play.

You don't need an army of toons, but a lvl 20-ish MP can give you Teachings, which is +25 to nano skills, and a lvl 20-ish trader can give you another +20 or so without draining up.

If your mp gets some OBs or levels a bit more, he can do masteries, which is +50 to your nano skills, and as your mp is only logged on for a minute at a time, his OBs last for ages. It's quite quick to level these toons up at low level, with implants made by your engy. And when you have them and want a buff it only takes a minute.

It's not just another 10-15 levels on your bot that you get. You also get better shields, better bot heals, etc.
Take it easy on the kid, SilverFox316; everybody kills Hitler on their first trip