Engineer vs. MP

mezrax
Fresh
Fresh

Engineer vs. MP

Post by mezrax » Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:21 am

I'd like to know what advantages a froob engineer has over a froob MP?
I've played an MP to title level 4 and the way I play is pure pet damage. I just keep my highest evocation on the melee pet and have heal pet heal him then just clean up the bodies.
I've just started an egineer (lvl28 now) and it seems like I can't self cast as big of a pet because I don't have masteries like the MP had and I have no heal pet so I have to do all the healing myself. I've been adding DPS with my pistols but if I do too much the mobs come after me and then all I have are kits and stims for heals.
So back to my question what advantages does an engineer have with a relatively smaller pet and having to heal my own bot? Beacon warp and tradeskills are what I have come up with so far.

flyingengi
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Engineer vs. MP

Post by flyingengi » Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:23 am

The only true advantage I can see that an engineer has over a froob mp is that your pets last forever...that's about it :/
  • Rookie "Flyingmp" - RK1 - LVL220
  • Flyingengi - RK1 - LVL199
  • Freshman "Flyingblades" - RK1 - LVL150
  • Flyingadvy- RK1 - LVL128
  • Apprentice Imfat "Deathinabag" Yourdead - RK1 - LVL49
Facebook

mezrax
Fresh
Fresh

Post by mezrax » Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:45 am

Thank you, flyingengi. In the old days when MP pets lasted 30 mins tops I certainly would have considered this a big advantage but now that pets last 2 hours I'm perfectly happy recasting.

flyingengi
Veteran
Veteran

Post by flyingengi » Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:52 am

After rethinking...I guess I there are a few things that Engis have that can make them special ^^

Mainly reflects and aoe blind auras. But by far, MP is a better froob profession overall :/
Facebook

EDTA
Moderaidtor

Post by EDTA » Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:52 pm

In general Engi Pet should be better I think. Though you lose some of this advantage by not having the buffs yourself (using top pet would mean you need to chase down mochams every hour to keep your pet out of OE) and since MP has more damage coming from the character usually.

Another advantage is blockers in pvp.

A third one: less work. "/pet hunt" and you have nothing to do anymore :P (while as MP you need to control 3 pets a weapon and nukes) (this is an exaggeration, though it does kinda feel like this for me). I actually hate this advantage, just makes me bored if I have nothing to do.

Being able to morph into a slayerdroid is cool too of course :D.

Btw, make sure your MP and engi are on a different account: immediately solves the problem of mochams. If you want to keep your engineer (and making an engineer to the point where it can warp is definitely useful) and it's on the same account, I'd consider rerolling.
RK2
Main: Edta 200 NT,*Setup*, General of NEPA, Raid Leader of TLfiveplus
Mounky 158 agent / doodytrad 163 trader
Wanh 1 trader / Kaiter 60 NT / E Lektra Natchios 24 agent / Mewaku 30ish enfo
Froob For Life, Neutral For Life, AO For Ever

Randomchance
Seasoned
Seasoned

Post by Randomchance » Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:24 pm

After playing both MP and Engie through i would say both have their own advantages and disadvantages. I found both are a hell of a lot of fun so I dont want to wade into the mp is better or engie is better discussion too much.

As a froob mp you were relying on your pet to do damage and as such giving him the best evocation/init buffs you could. As a froob engie i take it you are doing the same? I found in the low (subway) levels i found it useful to use the general nanos for healing and damage boost on the pet as well and have even thrown in health delta for giggles at times.

The engineer pet is able to handle aggro much better in general than the meatball or the wet-noodle demon pets. Trimmers are a good way to boost your pets capabilities in the mid to high levels but its never too early to put together a Trimmer - Increase Aggressiveness (well ql30 is the minimum) to improve your pets aggro management a bit. As for damage, Trimmer - Positive Aggressive-Defensive (ql100 is max) helps speed up your bots attacks. For a short term boost you can use a Trimmer - Divert Energy to Offense (starts at ql10) which i would say adds about 200 pts onto the hits of the 200 slayer.* (Recently in IS i was asked about trimmers by a baby engie so i wandered in and found that you can no longer trim other peoples pets. When was that stealth nerfed?)

The best thing you can do to improve your low level engie situation is do a little work on your engineer. Do you have implants in that are your level or better for example? Using wrangles/mp buffs will help you get a high level pet that you can control, either in the short term or for a sustainable pet. Your pet ideally should be "Much higher level than you" for your level 20+ engie.*

The short version:

Make sure your engie and mp are on seperate accounts for buff loving
Make sure your implants are up to date
Cast a bot that is just within your control using outside buffs
Cast your highest pet anima, damage adding buffs, and reflect/ac buffs on your pet
Trim as desired
... profit

*results may vary
Last edited by Randomchance on Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Metalomania - recovered from the ether december 2010!
Gablerg & Killermuppet - recovered from the ether january 2011!
(seriously guys, keep track of those toons!)
Froob Configurations

mezrax
Fresh
Fresh

Post by mezrax » Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:47 am

I have a full set of lvl 30 imps, I could go higher but I was wanting to jump past some intermediate QLs to save money. I give the pet weapon enhancement and the AAO and AC buffs. The pet is plenty strong but I'm just looking towards the future of having to heal him like my heal pet does on my MP. That just seems like extra work to have to do without a heal pet so I was looking for the advantages to offset this. I'm going under the assumption that an engineer pet and MP pet of the same level are the same strength (probably engineer pets have an edge on tanking and MP have an edge on damage) and the engineer pet buffs = MP pet buffs so the pet itself is taken out of the equation when comparing the 2 except I can self cast a higher pet on the MP sooner because of mochams line. Engineer pets look way cooler but looks aren't important to me. So I see the advantages stated in the above posts and I am greatful for the information.

Randomchance
Seasoned
Seasoned

Post by Randomchance » Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:12 am

mezrax wrote:The pet is plenty strong but I'm just looking towards the future of having to heal him like my heal pet does on my MP. That just seems like extra work to have to do without a heal pet so I was looking for the advantages to offset this.
The engie pets have much more defense and hp than the mp pets. You can also add on additional defense/damage mitigation with your ac buffs and reflect buffs. You wont notice a healpet level requirement of healing required for your engineer pet.
mezrax wrote:I'm going under the assumption that an engineer pet and MP pet of the same level are the same strength (probably engineer pets have an edge on tanking and MP have an edge on damage) and the engineer pet buffs = MP pet buffs so the pet itself is taken out of the equation when comparing the 2 except I can self cast a higher pet on the MP sooner because of mochams line.
An engineer pet is much stronger hp and ac wise than a mp pet if you put them toe to toe without the other two pets thrown in the mix. The reason i tried to stress the aggro capabilities of the pets is because sometime in late tl3 early tl4 you will break out from your hiding and get into the fight yourself. As a tooled up engie you will be standing there beside your bot blasting away, as a tooled up mp you will outdamage your wet noodle demon pet and have the angry red mob chasing you, healpet trying to keep up to you, and sad and sorry noodle trying to catch up to the mob. Again, different playstyles but both a hell of a lot of fun.

The third point in the list is probly the most important one for you. Cast the highest pet you can control and then dont let it die, it will be a red named pet (that is much higher than you) that will smack red named mobs (that are much higher than you) around. This is much much easier if your mp and engie are on seperate accounts. This also allows for interesting combinations such as putting the healpet on the engie pet allowing you to survive even tougher stuff when working together.
Metalomania - recovered from the ether december 2010!
Gablerg & Killermuppet - recovered from the ether january 2011!
(seriously guys, keep track of those toons!)
Froob Configurations

Vabla
Seasoned
Seasoned

Post by Vabla » Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:09 am

I'd say for pure soloing MP is better purely because of having more than just one pet.
But if you're in a mixed team... That's where engies start to shine. Especially MA ones (ugh, thanks to me the whole froob engie populations will convert to MA) as they have the highest buff to power ratio of any profession (better get those yuttos). The damage a DD built froob engie can dish out is simply staggering (to the point of giving "froob" a whole new meaning).

Oh and I forgot the second most important engineer nano line. Blinds. The one single thing that lets an engineer sustain solo boss fights lasting as long as half an hour (ugh, never EVER again am I doing that). Also the thing thanks to which I didn't die for over a month of mission grinding even when the whole team would get wiped.
Vabla AKA Bliaha is LOST between worlds
It's PONY time! Find me on dArt

mezrax
Fresh
Fresh

Post by mezrax » Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:17 am

Why MA? Everything MA seems very dark blue(MA, brawl, parry). Won't that suck all my IP away? Also it seems nice to stand far away from the monster so that if it comes for me I have time to back up and let the bot grab aggro. I planned on grabbing CDRs when I got bigger can MA really OD those? I plan to lvl lock him at 60 for ToTW do you still reccomend MA at that level?
Thanks,

WeeScotsman
Hardened
Hardened

Post by WeeScotsman » Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:59 am

Ma is really for end game when you can cast slayerdroid transference that gives a wopping 300MA skill buff and use items such as the D-chest.

For TOTW unless you are doing something special with evades and blinds and parry sticks, I'd say the Cdrs are perfectly adequate and pretty standard

flyingengi
Veteran
Veteran

Post by flyingengi » Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:06 pm

I actually have an MA setup on my tl6 engi...but mine is totally different than anybody else :P
Facebook

Tyranii
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Tyranii » Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:05 pm

Post it!
Blessedbrawl, 200/0 Omni Froob Opifex MA
Panzerzus, 72/0 Omni Froob Atrox Enfrocer
Opitrade2, 45/0 Omni Froob Opifex Trader
Imatroxdoc, 44/0 Omni Froob Atrox Doctor

Paid toons:
Ruffixx, 220/30/64 Omni Opifex Fixer
Pugilius, 205/29/57 Omni Opifex MA
Vindicius, 189/16/45 Omni Atrox Enforcer
Medeor, 188/22/36 Neutral Solitus Doctor

Proud General of Obsidian Order

Vabla
Seasoned
Seasoned

Post by Vabla » Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:12 am

Well yes, MA is for 100+ engies. And for totw I'd go with MP. Only if not to add to the endless totw "twink" engies.
Vabla AKA Bliaha is LOST between worlds
It's PONY time! Find me on dArt

Trappin
Hardened
Hardened

Post by Trappin » Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:03 am

As mentioned above -

The top Engie blind is the best AOE init debuff in the game. MP NSD is very useful for debuffing those nasty chain-healing real mean or ace doctors. Both classes compliment each other and together they mow through difficult missions with relative ease.