TS engi concept

Jondera1
Hardened
Hardened

TS engi concept

Post by Jondera1 » Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:59 pm

All right, I've mentioned this somewhere else on here, and also a couple times in-game, and it keeps knocking around my head, so I thought I'd post here and see what some recommendations are for how to go about it and what equipment I should look into.

Disclaimer: I know that this is horribly "Gimpy" and underpowered. I know that I'll hate myself when my IP vanishes into nonexistance. I don't care. This is a roleplaying concept and just a "Let's see if I can do it," rather than an attempt at a real, viable toon.

Basically, I like the idea of rolling an Engi who goes through his entire career equipping as few items as possible that are not tradeskilled by himself.

So the first question is this: What slots can and cannot be filled by a tradeskiller? I know you can make lots of armor, weapons, and all implants with tradeskills, and there's a few other processes that will be useful, like the Acellerated NCU Chip process, but there's a few others that I don't know about, things like:

HUD/tool slots? I'm sure there's at least a few TSable ones (the Rangefinder from newbie island is one), but I don't know of many. Advice?

Are there any TSable component belts? I somehow doubt it...

As for more general questions, I'm not especially familiar with Engis, so I have a few questions, like:

What kind of weapons would be best? I'm leaning towards pistols, because of the MEP and their frequency, but I'm wondering if there's any other good pistols that can be made. Also, are there any other weapon types that would be worth looking into?

What kinds of armor for varying levels? Starting out with sided newcomers armor and/or salamander vest, but those only last a little while - of (sided) carbonum, junkmetal, and others, what's the easiest and/or best to make for what QLs?

I'm a little curious about which side would work better - most of my toons are Neuts (for various reasons), but I'm thinking this guy should pick a side... for the token board, if nothing else - I need all the help I can get. I am, however, somewhat stymied by which of the two sides I should go with. Flavor-wise, I prefer Clan, but Omni has such nice stuff (especially the mechanical library on Noob island)... Switching sides regularly would kind of hurt my token board...

Any other recommendations? Please don't post a "Don't do this" or similarly intentioned one, unless you can come up with some amazingly compelling reason - I almost certainly won't listen to it.
RK2:
Jondera Greylock, 213/15 Opifex Fixer (Shattered Dreams), Newland City Minister of Security
Damold Garimen, 150/12 Solitus Melee Advy (Lumen Orien)
Emala, 63/5 Solitus Doctor (Shattered Dreams)
Yarika, 58/2 Nanomage Nanotechnician (Lumen Orien)
Delima, 51/5 Opifex Fixer (Lumen Orien), former TL2 BS twink, future ToTW twink
And others

Orgs of choice: Shattered Dreams & Lumen Orien

Vabla
Seasoned
Seasoned

Post by Vabla » Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:39 pm

My first toon (engie, lvl 200 now) was actually a tradeskill one. All self equipped too.
The engie pistol is one of the most interesting and fun things to tradeskill. I always loved weapons that you can keep upgrading as you progress.
You can fill HUD slots with tradeskilled items (though expencive, focus funneling helpers).
Carbonum is the easiest to obtain/make and quite good. Though I personally have a dislike to it due to being too common.

As for the side... Stay Neutral or join Omni. Call me omni scum if you want but I've seen enough of clan behavior while being omni to never even consider joining clans. There's a certain "aura" about each side. It's not about the items and it's not about what people say. There's just some sort of a general pattern in people form diffferent sides. Basically... Join a side that you think you'll like.

P.S. I R DRUNK (tm)
Vabla AKA Bliaha is LOST between worlds
It's PONY time! Find me on dArt

Ar1z
Skilled
Skilled

Post by Ar1z » Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:13 pm

Stay Neutral. A TSer must be able to get creds from both sides. Sure Omni has some great equipment but they don't make a big difference. The mechanical library can be worn by anyone!
You can start TSing from day one if you want but you must be a little conservative about other skills. Engineers can use MA, Grenade and Pistol attacks. Although MA is not recommended for NM engis until you can cast Slayerdroid trasference. Grenade also doesn't conlfict with TS/MC implants so you can have more AR. Not many Grenade weapons around tho and you cannot use most buffing pistols.
Best breed is either Opi or NM.
As for TSing ALL your equipment, there are some better stuff that are not TSable!

Roll an agent toon for buffs if you don't have one. Sometimes you need a buff it is hard to get.

I'm also gonna start an Engi twink on RK2 so you can contact me ingame and lvl together ;)
Arenas (lvl 199 Sol Omni Agent) / Zarenas (lvl 200 NM Neutral Engineer)
Kengin (lvl 154 Opi Neutral Engineer) / Nanolaser (lvl 100 NM Clan Soldier)
Obefix (lvl 69 Trox Neutral Fixer) / Arones (lvl 50 NM Neutral crat)
Bestsella (lvl 50 Sol Neutral trader)
Pocket buffing toons: NMenfo, Docaris, Metaphysto

Tarradax
Wordbearer

Post by Tarradax » Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:55 am

The NCU department is going to be your biggest pain. You can't tradeskill memories completely from scratch - Accelerated or Yutto memories require standard/Yutto NCU to start with. Also, the only belt you can tradeskill is the Dantian Belt of Life which is a 5-slotter.

Weapons and armor are going to be easy enough, Carb/Engi pistol will tide you over although Carb is probably going to be better for the NCU. Still there's other choices like Junkmetal for +HP and a few others. If you don't want pistols, you can make yourself Mausser SMGs or even go MA - Although not sure how good MA will be, there's no tradeskill-made scope. HUD/Util slots are also going to be a pain, Spirit Helpers are the only tradeskillable things to put there other than the Range Meter.

Implants are obviously going to be really easy, same for nanos.

As for side, I'm saying either Neutral or Omni. Probably Omni and grind tokens, as well as the +HP from Omni Carb is like Junkmetal + Carb armors mixed together.

And last... If you do know that you're going to have one hell of a bumpy ride and are prepared for the frustration, go for it. If nothing else, it'll teach you a thing or two about tradeskills.
Ye' Olde Fixer Guide, By Me.

/Tarradax, Proud Owner of Questionable Morals.
/Baene, It's Like A Beanbag Chair. With a Gun. And a Temper.
/Bonekrakka, Get Your Choppas Ready, Boyz! Time For A WAAAAAAGH!
/Happythought, Hand-Made Silk Kites! Beautiful Strings!
/Littleshank, Choose Difficulty: []Hard []Medium []Easy []Very Easy [X]Atrox Melee Adventurer.

Completely Unrelated To Anything Link

EDTA
Moderaidtor

Post by EDTA » Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:32 am

Nice concept.
I do wonder how far you go on this. Is it fine if you just did a little finishing step on an item or do you have to create it totally yourself (accelerated ncu memories and enhanced pads of dedication are examples where you only do a finishing tough). And nanocrystals: would you have to obtain the ID of all nano's even if the crystal is easily accessible (or even has been found by you...). And would you even go so far that you have to make all the first aid kits, nanokits, treatment kits ... And what about "twinking items" that are only used to get something else on (I have omni-med suit in my mind).
Will you get support from your other toons: money, buffs,...
Seems to me there is a lot of rules you can set, but it might be more fun if your not to strict.
You probably have done, but I advise you to scout around anarchy arcanum for useful tradeskillable stuff, it seems I find something new every time:
http://arcanum.aodevs.com/

And this is another nice TS-site, but things aren't explained so good there. There might be a few extra things:
http://www.tirschool.com/
RK2
Main: Edta 200 NT,*Setup*, General of NEPA, Raid Leader of TLfiveplus
Mounky 158 agent / doodytrad 163 trader
Wanh 1 trader / Kaiter 60 NT / E Lektra Natchios 24 agent / Mewaku 30ish enfo
Froob For Life, Neutral For Life, AO For Ever

Jondera1
Hardened
Hardened

Post by Jondera1 » Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:01 am

Thank you for your suggestions - I'm quite familiar with Anarchy Arcanum, and have read just about their entire site... at least twice. Parts of it more than that. I've also glanced around the Tir school a couple times, and done some research in other places.

In answer to a few questions:

1) I figure that as long as there's at least some kind of TS process involved, that's good enough. So Accellerated NCUs (and similar processes) are fine, just not their un-TSed equivilents.

2) Yes, I will be getting assistance from other toons - both alts and from my org. This will also involve having appropriately-leveled alts blitzing components that I may need.

3) Twinking items... I'm a little unsure of. For one thing, I'm not really going to be able to do a huge amount of twinking - I won't have the Nano Programming skill necessary to make high-QL implants.

4) Nano crystals I'll just use - if I started insisting on crafting every nano crystal I wanted to use, I'd really start giving myself headaches. Equipment is enough... Nano/treatment kits, though... I'll probably craft most of them, but keep a bought stock of higher-QL ones for when I need a quick recovery. Does anyone know if it's possible to TS health/nano coils in SL?

As for side...

I'm still leaning toward sided (omni, probably) because of the token board. Does anyone know of any friendly RK2 omni orgs?
RK2:
Jondera Greylock, 213/15 Opifex Fixer (Shattered Dreams), Newland City Minister of Security
Damold Garimen, 150/12 Solitus Melee Advy (Lumen Orien)
Emala, 63/5 Solitus Doctor (Shattered Dreams)
Yarika, 58/2 Nanomage Nanotechnician (Lumen Orien)
Delima, 51/5 Opifex Fixer (Lumen Orien), former TL2 BS twink, future ToTW twink
And others

Orgs of choice: Shattered Dreams & Lumen Orien

Tarradax
Wordbearer

Post by Tarradax » Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:21 am

Jondera1 wrote:3) Twinking items... I'm a little unsure of. For one thing, I'm not really going to be able to do a huge amount of twinking - I won't have the Nano Programming skill necessary to make high-QL implants.
Which is part of the reason I suggest you go sided. Get the 1k board ASAP.
Jondera1 wrote:Does anyone know if it's possible to TS health/nano coils in SL?
Impossible to craft but they are the most common chest loot in SL, static or mission.
Jondera1 wrote:I'm still leaning toward sided (omni, probably) because of the token board. Does anyone know of any friendly RK2 omni orgs?
Core. There's also a recruitment thread somewhere here and a few other Core members are loitering around the forums.
Ye' Olde Fixer Guide, By Me.

/Tarradax, Proud Owner of Questionable Morals.
/Baene, It's Like A Beanbag Chair. With a Gun. And a Temper.
/Bonekrakka, Get Your Choppas Ready, Boyz! Time For A WAAAAAAGH!
/Happythought, Hand-Made Silk Kites! Beautiful Strings!
/Littleshank, Choose Difficulty: []Hard []Medium []Easy []Very Easy [X]Atrox Melee Adventurer.

Completely Unrelated To Anything Link