Engineer Weapons

Nightsapper
Rookie
Rookie

Engineer Weapons

Post by Nightsapper » Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:16 pm

I want to start an engie. I would like to know, besides Pistol and Grenades, which other weapon skills are viable for engineers?

Dementationz
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Dementationz » Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:21 pm

http://www.aofroobs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2386

Might want to try this thread for MA Engis (Martial Arts)

hahnsoo
Elite
Elite

Post by hahnsoo » Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:36 pm

When determining a viable weapon skills for any profession, several considerations should be taken:
* IP Cost/Skill Multiplier - By looking at the Skills Chart, you'll see various numbers ranging from 1 to 4. 4 means that the skill has the worst multiplier, and so will only be raised 3 per level and cost you the most IP. 1 means that the skill has the best multiplier, will be raised 5 per level, and cost you the least IP. This is important early on, due to the IP crunch, but it is also important later because your Attack Rating will depend on your weapon skill, and the IP-costly skills will have lower attack rating.
* Complementary Skills (aka Specials) - You have to factor in the IP cost of the specials and any multi-wielding skill that you intend to use. If a weapon commonly uses Brawl or Dimach or Fling Shot, you have to look at those costs. Pistol is typically very cheap for folks to use regardless of profession, but also carries with it a Multi-Ranged requirement for dual-wielding.
* Skill Buffs - Look at your own self-cast nanos and the nanoprogram buffs that you can receive from others. Piercing has some great weapons, but it is hobbled by the fact that the only outside buff for it is a Wrangle. Adventurers rarely pursue weapons outside of 1HE or Pistol because they lack buffs in other weapon skills.
* Implants - You have to consider where you are going to implant the skill. Ranged and Melee Energy, for example, are often not considered viable for nanocasters because the Shiny slot is in the Head... which conflicts with Shiny Nanoskill clusters.
* Equipment Locks - You also have to consider the level locks and profession locks on weapons that you intend to use. 1HE would be the most viable option for all professions if Chiropteras didn't have a profession lock for Enforcers and Adventurers. Also, profession-locked weapons tend to be more powerful (or at least on-par with with other powerful weapons). As far as level-locks, a couple of weapons (from Inner Sanctum) have "hidden" locks, in that the weapons themselves aren't locked, but the ability to acquire the weapon is locked.
* Equipment Scaling - Some weapon lines have great weapons early on... but where do you go from there? If you intend to level up your character, you don't want to be stuck at the end of a line where you can't get a new weapon for a long time, or worse, not have a weapon to pursue at the end-game.
* Equipment Credit Cost - Money, money, money. How much will the weapon cost to buy or farm? This can also be translated into "How easily can I get this weapon?" when it is NoDrop.

This isn't an all-inclusive list. Ultimately, the choice will come down to personal preference. However, looking at some of the above criteria we see that:
* Engineers are poor on the skill chart with most weapons. The best choices from a pure IP cost perspective are Martial Arts, 1HB, Pistol, Heavy Weapons, and Grenades.
* Engineers lack buffs in all weapon skills except Pistol and Grenade (which they have the best buff) and Martial Arts (again, the best buff... this is offset by the fact that they don't get the Martial Artist damage rate).
* Engineers have a lot of profession-locked Grenade Launchers. They also have the best pistol in the game (Solar-Powered Master Engineer Pistol) which isn't profession-locked, but requires tradeskills to create.
* Grenades tend to scale very poorly, with only two viable choices (Red Line early on, OT Hurler later on). Pistols scale very well, but sometimes the viable pistols are level locked or difficult to obtain.
"Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed." G.K.Chesterton
Years of experience means years of learning bad habits.
~ Proud Member of Newcomers Alliance ~ My AO Guide

Ferengi
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Ferengi » Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:29 am

Dementationz wrote:MA Engis (Martial Arts)
Well, you can find posts from me about an MA engi, long since deleted. It tends to pwn in Subway, but dies out in ToTW. My current engi is Jess pistols, and an uberhider. I kill guards in Foremans for safes when I'm not a ToTW twink and I have my Mochams.
Adios, thanks for the fish

Dementationz
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Dementationz » Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:19 pm

sorry for saying a friend of my friend thing, I can't remember now, that MA engis (fr00bie) actually ODed a similar or higher lvel soldier, but that was a few years back so I can't recall who it was that told me. I had a thread here with the possible equipment setup as well long since deleted

at totw, I dun think you've gotten the slayerdroid buff yet right. So I dun think thats a fair assessment of the MA engi skills

Incidentally, what would be the best set of alpha for a Ma engi. I know they have access to Bird of Prey and Attack of the Snake as well as Flower of Life. But I think BoP and AoS uses the same MA lock. Any other skills we could use?

Accomplice
Seasoned
Seasoned

Post by Accomplice » Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:41 am

Vabla has a froob MA engi, doing damn well.

With slayer transformance, he has around 1500 attack rating, and as engi, he had no problems equipping an ELLTS. His crits hurt like hell and then there's still the robot to add even more damage :) pretty good ^^
mmorpg addiction... [1][2][3]

Ferengi
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Ferengi » Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:21 am

Most of the Special MA attacks can be utilitized, the ToTW books cannot.

It's interesting that a high lvl MA tends to work, considering that froob engis have no heals at all, nor any evasion buffs, and must depend on agro shifts and OBs (and perhaps very rich friends). With perks available, it's probably workable, the right breed gets nice perks.

I think I like standing back and blasting better, it's easy to shift agro and control the battle from there.
Adios, thanks for the fish

Weeping Willow
ModSquad
ModSquad

Post by Weeping Willow » Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:56 am

well, I ve seen 1 or 2 lvl 60 engi with slayer and slayerdroid transference ... (not froob mind you) and it's quite impressive ...

(and hurts a lot, when you comes with your squishy agent to help defend a neutral base and you get tabed by the neutral engi in question :) )
RK1, Omni and General of Newcomers Alliance

GridPain Fixer TL5 Frank Nfurter : Doc TL5 (pvp version)
JimProfit : Level 100 Crat (foreman helper)
New leveling crat : Coredumped

WeepinWillow, Forcedevente, Whipinwillow, Slayie, NeedleWorker, Asafart, Ouvreboite, Asafurt, Malaucrane, Karmapolice ... etc etc ...

Goldberg
Seasoned
Seasoned

Post by Goldberg » Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:30 am

Accomplice wrote:he has around 1500 attack rating
I'd luv to see the numbers behind this one :? ...

hahnsoo
Elite
Elite

Post by hahnsoo » Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:53 am

Slayerdroid Transference gives you a whopping 300 bonus to MA, but 1500 AR is a bit hard to believe without seeing the numbers.
"Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed." G.K.Chesterton

Dementationz
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Dementationz » Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:48 pm

Is it possible for your friend to post his equipment here?
Be interesting to see how a 1500 AR Ma Engi
Well I'm no SLer so I wouldn't know how perks affect the final AR but I guess there are plenty of ppl here who would like to see it :D

Accomplice
Seasoned
Seasoned

Post by Accomplice » Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:58 pm

well, Vabla has an account here, so try asking him. I don't see him online much these days.

All I know is that he is still in ql200 imps, having full AAO implanted (giving a total +270 to your AR), and that he apparently also had some high towers (which are rather easy to plant for an eng).

Don't know more. Just that he hits 4.5k crits with his setup.

hahnsoo
Elite
Elite

Post by hahnsoo » Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:24 pm

Accomplice wrote:All I know is that he is still in ql200 imps, having full AAO implanted (giving a total +270 to your AR), and that he apparently also had some high towers (which are rather easy to plant for an eng).

Don't know more. Just that he hits 4.5k crits with his setup.
Triple implanting AAO gives you +60, not +270, as far as I know.

Randomchance
Seasoned
Seasoned

Post by Randomchance » Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:34 pm

hahnsoo wrote:Triple implanting AAO gives you +60, not +270, as far as I know.
+210 from MA imps, +60 from +AAO imps. So +270 AR total.
Metalomania - recovered from the ether december 2010!
Gablerg & Killermuppet - recovered from the ether january 2011!
(seriously guys, keep track of those toons!)
Froob Configurations

Accomplice
Seasoned
Seasoned

Post by Accomplice » Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:37 pm

hahnsoo wrote:Triple implanting AAO gives you +60, not +270, as far as I know.
Randomchance wrote:+210 from MA imps, +60 from +AAO imps. So +270 AR total.
Yes, sorry for being unclear.

And if he gets MA mastery, lesser rage and maybe a Dchest, that would aid his DD as well.

With the init nerf from the ELLTS, he can still hit 1/1 at full agg. The key to surviving in combat lies in having the bot hold the aggro (and you engis semm to have a couple of toys for that)