Tl2 pvp engineer

meraimon
Amateur
Amateur

Tl2 pvp engineer

Post by meraimon » Fri Oct 10, 2014 3:40 am

Hey I'm trying to build a setup for a tl2 pvp engineer. So far here is what I have down for the concept:

level 39
Opifex
Evades (amplified by -370aao debuff aura)
max pet
armor like apocalypse, collar casero and shapeshifter's vest for maximum runspeed and evades. Defense is a big deal here
health around 600-700 for towers

2, Weapon choices. I was thinking melee, I could use 2x parry sticks with flower of life or dual one with a fear-forged blade for more specials. Ithaca seemed good to me at first but there are too many imp conflicts, and would be too slow/never crit while I'm on defensive setting. Another ranged option is that I have a ql 100 arbalest laying around doing nothing, I want to know if that is possible to have non-oe selfed, as a level 39 froob opifex engi. It could work with TIM scope for inits and still hit at reasonable speed on defensive settings.

3, back item, vagabond cloak AAD might be nice with low hp. I could swap it off easily if I want to sneak. But would an AC option be better? are there any special items here or anywhere else that I should look into?

also: engineer is neutral.

Briandmg
Skilled
Skilled

Re: Tl2 pvp engineer

Post by Briandmg » Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:45 am

Hello again!

First off I must say this is one of the more interesting setups I've seen. Kudos for trying to make an unconventional twink :D
meraimon wrote: Now I want to decide on a few things.
1, can I get gumboils without sacrificing too much of a bot due to imp conflicts?
I'm guessing here that the answer is no. You have a base sharp obj skill of 180. You need a QL140+ shining and bright clusters to get enough sharp obj to use kizzermoles. This means sacrificing potentially 45 points of MC/TS (in your right hand bright cluster) to use kizzers. That's means you'll be using a bot nano which is 3 tiers lower than you normally could. I would say this sacrifice is probably not worth it. I could be wrong though.

meraimon wrote: 2, Weapon choices. I was thinking melee, I could use 2x parry sticks with flower of life or dual one with a fear-forged blade for more specials. Ithaca seemed good to me at first but there are too many imp conflicts, and would be too slow/never crit while I'm on defensive setting. Another ranged option is that I have a ql 100 arbalest laying around doing nothing, I want to know if that is possible to have non-oe selfed, as a level 39 froob opifex engi. It could work with TIM scope for inits and still hit at reasonable speed on defensive settings.
Ah interesting. I need to ask first though: what kind of PvP are you looking into? Towers? Duels? BS? I'm guessing BS or duels since you're talking about non-OE selfed fighting. In that case, I would go for either parry sticks (for a more defensive setup) or for the arbalest (more offense). The FFB would be doing pathetic damage on other players (about 10-20 per hit). Also, you have to be wary that flower of life is unlikely to proc against traders or evade-built characters, since your engineer MA attack rating will be way too low to successfully land flower of life. The parry sticks do still give that nifty 100-120 evade close though, which is extremely good against those pesky noob-rod wielding enfos/traders.

Arbalest seems like a good choice, though it is probably not possible to have it non-OE selfed. Your base rifle is 150. You need 403 to keep it out of OE. There is no way you're getting 250 points of rifle from implants and defensive gear. However, if you slap on a QL275 targetting scope, my guess is that your ASes will go for 150-950 damage on players, with a 35s recharge. That's not too shabby, and if you time these ASes well, you can inflict that damage on your opponent right before the blind aura on your bot reapplies. That would be the ideal way for your engineer to fight I think. Oh, and normal attacks from your Arbalest would also probably go for 10-25 damage on your opponents at that level, so don't bother with the TIM scope :P

Consider also alternatives such as MC/TS boosting crystals/pillows. If wielding such stuff bumps you up into the next bot nano, it may be a good idea to use skill boosting items instead.

meraimon wrote: 3, back item, vagabond cloak AAD might be nice with low hp. I could swap it off easily if I want to sneak. But would an AC option be better? are there any special items here or anywhere else that I should look into?
I would say a vagabond cloak would be adequate since you have 600 hp. If you want more AC, you can always swap it for an exarch robe as a last minute decision. GTA is too overrated anyways. :P

A few more things to consider:
  • I think you should be very afraid of crowd control in general. The only counter you have to snares and roots is energize shell. It seems hard to deal damage to anyone who is willing to kite your bot around. Even worse would be calms. One calm on your bot and he's pretty much a goner.
  • This build would probably be excellent as a tower destroyer. Send bot in, sneak around your bot. If someone attacks your bot, pop heals on your bot. If he attacks you, kite him around and annoy him until your bot does his job. With sufficient mochams/wrangles, your bot could probably tear down towers quite fast. Doesn't matter if you're drained because your bot will continue attacking the tower anyway. And HoTs on your engineer would just be gawdly. Since you're already so damn hard to hit, having a 50% heal every 10s is just awesome.
  • I knew someone who used a rather cheap way of fighting with this build. He would have a clock handy so he would know at exactly which second the blind aura would reapply. Right before the blind reapplies, he would spam all the specials he had. The fights would take unbearably long since he could only throw attacks every 20s, but he would win against any non-debuffing profession. If you're thinking of duelling people with this tactic, I would think that kizzermoles would be invaluable to you. Use a shiny TS brain cluster, and a faded MC eye cluster. Your lower bot level may not affect your fights much since your bot won't be attacking anyway.
The Ultimate Endgame Froob PvP Guide :OO
All you ever needed to know to make your L200 froob toon a beast in PvP. :P

meraimon
Amateur
Amateur

Post by meraimon » Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:23 am

Thanks for the quick reply! here is what I have to add:

- This engineer will be mainly for tower support with a neutral TL2 team we have going on right now. The main reason for the build is the AOE blind for disruption. Meaning, he should be able to carry osb to fill nanoskill gaps between mc/ts for his osb bots at towers. I think this will allow me to use gumboils as a source of damage.

- Thus, parry sticks seem like the clear option to me :) having an CH to fall back on is just nice, and gumboils + pet should have enough damage at least for an evade support profession. (Edit) Blessed with thunder could also be good option for damage as the DoT is only dependent on enemy's level, not ql of attack)

- I acquired a low ql third eye of daria (421 cl req) and I will be using it in the head if possible. doable on an opifex at this level? (without pioneer bp)

- also I am wondering about Nightmare Therapy pills and sanity recovery medication as bonus forms of healing/root break. is 300 first aid viable alongside this setup? (there are a number of first aid items available for use, for instance Medical Epaulet and stalker helmet, shapeshifters vest adds first aid IIRC and I am not opposed to using 1 or 2 med suit sleeves on a low hp build such as this)
_____________________edit:
I worked out a rough build which makes some sacrifices to include NR, first aid and gumboils, as well as dodge. here is what I came up with:
http://auno.org/ao/equip.php?saveid=197996" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

all implants are set at ql 130 for convenience :p

how effective are pet heals in pvp? should I swap faded chest to str to bump for totw shoulder actives and bright chest to bio met for a pet heal?
I also want to know if with this nanoskill setup where I would run one infuse and one mocham (to fill the 50 point mc/ts gap), would I be able to hold the first warbot selfed? 584 mc/ts requirement. I would wrangle to cast it, but would I be able to control it afterwards?

feedback etc (is everything possible)

Briandmg
Skilled
Skilled

Post by Briandmg » Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:59 pm

A few things first:
Are you sure you can get 300 intell to equip a shapeshifter's vest at that level? Being an opifex leaves you with only 123 base intell at L39 (I think). What's worse is that you can't equip shades of lucubration. Seems quite impossible with NS cans and stuff. :/

Also, you seem to put quite some consideration into your NR. Would NR be really useful? For tower wars, you can forget about resisting anything a trader throws at you - even an enforcer at L39 with rage and a full NR build will have troubles resisting trader drains. See: http://aofroobs.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=10087" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Let me answer the important questions first:
I also want to know if with this nanoskill setup where I would run one infuse and one mocham (to fill the 50 point mc/ts gap), would I be able to hold the first warbot selfed? 584 mc/ts requirement. I would wrangle to cast it, but would I be able to control it afterwards?
Controlling it afterwards is no problem. You need 584 to cast, but only 467 to hold it. If you have MC/TS mochams. you'll be able to control your bot. Which brings me to my next point, if you want to cast the warbot, you absolutely MUST have mochams. Infuses won't cut it. In fact, even with mochams, your twinking must be pretty solid to get the warbot on. Here's the maths:
TS:
185 base
20 expertise
140 mochams
132 team wrangle
70++ implants
8 Platinum Filigree Ring set with a Perfectly Cut Star Ruby (hotswap 2 of these on, each give 4 MC/TS)
= 555 TS

You can make up for the lacking 29 points from the following (each is a sacrifice though):
+4 from Miys nano body armor (Since you probably can't equip shapeshifter's vest)
+8 from Neleb's Nano-circuit Robe
+6 from Lya's Sangi Glasses
+6 from Adapted Notum Crystal - E=MC^2 III
+x from trickledown (too lazy to calculate :P)
+y from higher QL implants (not impossible, ladder really well!)

So as you can see, you just need about 5ish points from (x+y), which isn't really that hard. Nevertheless, I must emphasize that you have to make certain sacrifices in certain armor/weapon slots in order to get that warbot out. It will be really tight, but it should be possible. MC will be much easier since your base MC is 215 instead of 185. This means you should ladder your implants such that your MC implants have a lower priority. Also note that gumboils are not possible if you want a warbot. Annnd you need to swap out your Nemmy's eye too.

I acquired a low ql third eye of daria (421 cl req) and I will be using it in the head if possible. doable on an opifex at this level? (without pioneer bp)
I think it might be barely possible, if you're an extremely good twinker. I did some estimates, but your CL implants must be a crazy high QL to pull it off. Look here for more CL boosting tips:
http://www.aofroobs.com/forum/viewtopic ... 924#p55040" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Then again, you probably might need those Lya glasses on to cast the warbot, so might wanna take the easy way out and go Lya glasses instead. :P

is 300 first aid viable alongside this setup?
With outside buffs, definitely possible. +80 from SFA gives you almost enough to use your pills without any extra gear.
The Ultimate Endgame Froob PvP Guide :OO
All you ever needed to know to make your L200 froob toon a beast in PvP. :P

meraimon
Amateur
Amateur

Post by meraimon » Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:29 pm

Youre right, I will have to reroll nanomage for shapeshifter's vest to be possible. It should also help with getting on the third eye of daria. Nanomage just works better with a low hp build anyways. I'm hoping to be able to use the SoM pills self buffed, to save ncu. I'll see how much first aid is needed in armor (or if it even possible to use selfed), and then decide on armor based on that.

edit: NR is important, and keep in mind my current rings have no requirements other than tl, so I could easily swap in 2x SoM rings for 80 nanoresist, which would make the NR in this build hefty enough to resist some stuff, especially when combined with -370 aao debuff...