Somebody get raids started!

Raids and events are announced here.
Lusto
Skilled
Skilled

Somebody get raids started!

Post by Lusto » Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:12 am

Having been online frequently, it seems really good time to get raid started again. There are all new champions ready to outshine the previous generations. And previous generations seem to be ready to jump in as well to defend their glory. There are lot of new people dying to get some real action. And they are good, real good.

So why is nobody running the show?

I wont do it, and none of the old guard will step up either. Reason is simple: we have done it already, there is nothing in it for us. And the best part really is building the thing up. Carrion went so far to claim that he rather was not there at the start so that he could do it all over.

So let me tell you how to do it.

* First stick to just froobs, and this is really important. The gap in strength is so wide that froobs can not play with paying players, froobs can only leech from them. So do it on your own. And forget the loot, loot you leech when playing with your paying friends.
* Second, start small. Get few of your friends in a team and go see how far you get in IS. Then try other bosses. Build your trusted core like this, and train your team play at Hags. Team of froobs should be able to clear the Hags raids, but none of the previous generations has done it. Team of froobs should be able to kill Hezak, but they really need to be super good. Push your limits. I started with 4 level 200 peeps who I just sent "Hi, are you bored?" tell and picking some random froob from LFT.
* Then things start to grow, you need to use raid interface, you can start to use froobchat and froobraid. And sooner than you know, you have done the amazing journey of froob raiding.

And we the old ones are there to help you.
Lusto (level 200 doc) Lostu (level 200 adv) Losto (level 200 MP) Lustu (level 199 Soldier)
Lyrangitus (level 100 Trader) Lyran (level 74 Agent) Lyrangitis (level 25 Doctor)
Froob Since 2005, Member of Wolf Brigade, Founding Member of Froob200

EDTA
Moderaidtor

Re: Somebody get raids started!

Post by EDTA » Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:40 am

There is only 1 thing somebody really needs to do: take initiative!
Don't worry about lack of knowledge, leadership or even being good or high level. Just go for it, take on what you can, ask info when necessary and the rest will come!
Good luck!
RK2
Main: Edta 200 NT,*Setup*, General of NEPA, Raid Leader of TLfiveplus
Mounky 158 agent / doodytrad 163 trader
Wanh 1 trader / Kaiter 60 NT / E Lektra Natchios 24 agent / Mewaku 30ish enfo
Froob For Life, Neutral For Life, AO For Ever

stodge
Amateur
Amateur

Post by stodge » Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:34 pm

\0 there!

Thank you for the suggestions/support :) i think fr00bchat is lucky to have still some of you "old guard" players in game; as a 1 year old froobchat user, i feel still kind of an "applicant"; surely, i'm a complete beginner, when it is about the raiding matter in general; my main concern about raidings, beside lack of knowledge and ability to be in game for 3-4 hours straight, is that i don't have many characters that can be usefull when raiding, countrary to other players having a wide range of professions at their disposal, and able to "fill those open spots" when we try to prepare something to be done in game.
Trader and Fixer are supposed to be support professions, as far as i know, yet, in the few teams/raids i've attended so far, i've had this feeling of "uselessness" bringing one or the other or even the two at the same time.

Beside the above, my experience/opinion is that at the moment our major lack is a pure tank: Lyz has been able to fill that spot greatly so far with his GAIV fixer (at least at the raids i've attended), but obviously, the fixer toolset is not designed to be a tank as main role, lacking all the taunts department.

That said, i will be happy to partecipate on future raids/teams and try to be of some help with what i've got.

Cheeers \0

p.s: with my old junk computer i can't be able to manage properly a raid interface due to lag+ poor general performances (even if i'm playing AO with ALL settings to the very minimum and no sound); sometimes, expecially when on open fields, my fps drop to the completely unplayable level (read: i can't even turn my character around): that's why so far i've never even tried to be raid starter; my lack of knowledge about raiding can be filled with a bit of practice, my lack of computer performances, tough, is not going to be fixed very soon i fear :(

tgjensen
Hardened
Hardened

Post by tgjensen » Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:24 am

No profession is useless when it comes to froob raiding. Everybody brings something to the table that is a boon. The feeling of 'uselessness' may just be due to the nature of froob raiding: Once everybody is buffed and the attack on the main target is underway, the tank and healers tend to take center stage and the job of most other raiders is to whittle down the target's health bar as quickly as possible, which can feel a little static. Having said that, different support professions will shine for different raid targets. I was fond of using fixers to manage the adds that Ljotur spawned, for example - and abusing traders to wrangle their team. Not so hot for the trader perhaps, but an invaluable team mate against the Lee brothers!
Carrion level 200 Soldier
Piroth level 200 Nano-Technician
Ianney level 200 Bureaucrat
Gerbil level 200 Enforcer

Matammyr
Hardened
Hardened

Post by Matammyr » Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:29 pm

I agree, everyone is useful. I recall years ago, I think on one of the OT Soldier raids (whichever one clears your NCU), that a fixer tanked him better than an enfo, given the enfo's typical heavy reliance on nanos.

It's my own personal preference to have a trader in the tank team. I find my own trader (only TL4 at the time) to be incredibly useful in teams. I play mine as a "jack of all trades" type though, and probably do very little actual damage compared to other traders my own level. Nevertheless, the other skills in the trader toolset make me feel indispensable in teams.

Lusto
Skilled
Skilled

Post by Lusto » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:57 pm

Another thing is that it is better if raid leader is support. As a doc I find it very demanding to manage the raid interface while focusing on healing. I always miss something, like trader in wrong team yesterday. The only real duty of RL is to get the people together and make it happen. Then you probably get stuck with managing teams with the raid interface but people usually ask for changes anyway.

Great example was yesterday, the first ever from Medusa raid:

I had no idea about this raid, so I went in solo. Then I called one friend to join me, then another and then asked on the bot if anyone wants to join. BANG. There was very competent raid force of 10 uber froobs. Only enforcer was missing but soldier could handle this one nicely. Before the raid someone explained all about it and all I had to do was to ask "ready?" and then give my only raid command "charge".

And it was fun :).

As said, all the pieces are there (except the enforcer). This bot is only missing that one or two players who make it actually do something.
Lusto (level 200 doc) Lostu (level 200 adv) Losto (level 200 MP) Lustu (level 199 Soldier)
Lyrangitus (level 100 Trader) Lyran (level 74 Agent) Lyrangitis (level 25 Doctor)

Matammyr
Hardened
Hardened

Post by Matammyr » Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:05 am

I'd love to come back and be one of those players, but I just can't.

Lusto
Skilled
Skilled

Post by Lusto » Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:23 am

Matammyr wrote:I'd love to come back and be one of those players, but I just can't.
It should not be one of us veterans. That doesn't make any sense. Someone new should step up and do it and get the best experiences of their AO career. Our role is to inspire and assist.

Matammyr
Hardened
Hardened

Post by Matammyr » Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:02 am

I can't even inspire or assist. At least not in game. I still check these forums daily though, so I'd be happy to here.

Lusto
Skilled
Skilled

Post by Lusto » Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:35 am

Yesterday I ran little IS raid which wasn't far from being able to take down Hezak. We lacked little bit of healing to keep DD support alive, which lead to an exploding fanatic and wipe. After that I had fun time trying to meep out from the site alive, hiding behind a pillar with Hezak, adds and exploding fanatics all over just making it in time. Our MP did nice dance around there, running from pilar to pilar trying to stay alive and then timing perfectly his dash towards me to be in the reach of my grid.

On other side, Carrions enforcer is impressive. He has similar setup than Gorgin04 had except little better, being sided and having all the latest goodies. Carrion can reach 20k HP! He can tank anything, even Biodome I bet.

I hope I had screenshots to show, this was really fun raid for me.

People also seem very interested on doing the Medusa farming again, so we should perhaps give it a shot again.