Interviews >> Lusto

In an effort to understand the Froob mind, AOFroobs.com set out on a mission to track down and speak to those "uber fr00bs" who have reached the pinnacle of froobness, Level 200.
Esdian
Seasoned
Seasoned

Interviews >> Lusto

Post by Esdian » Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:03 pm

AOFroobs.com interviews Lusto, a Neutral Doctor.
---------------------------------------------
AOFroobs.com - When did you start playing Anarchy Online? Why?

Lusto - I have played since January 2005. My friend told me about the free offer and recommended me to try it out.

AOFroobs.com - How did you choose your profession? If you started over, would you keep it?

Lusto - When I started I was complete newbie without any idea how to play the game. I tried several weapon profession but I always got stuck when I grew out from Shutleport weapons and couldn't find better ones. With doctor this was not an issue. Also playing a healer seems to fit for me pretty well. I would definatelly have a doctor as my main again.

AOFroobs.com - Why have you stayed froob for the full 200 levels? Will you ever upgrade? Explain.

Lusto – There are several reasons for this. Perhaps the most important one is that I don't want to get any more addicted to the game. Another is that the grind for level 220 would be too much for me but still something I would do if I would upgrade. I will newer upgrade my free account because it would waste all the hard work I have done but I might get another account and start over. Three reasons to upgrade would be to be able to serve my org, team with my friends and enjoy the storyline of Shadowlands. Now at level 200 when I understand the game mechanics a bit better I have started to appreciate the game design of classic AO. I actually think it is better than AO with extensions. Too bad that extensions make classic AO obsolete.

AOFroobs.com - How long did it take you to reach level 200? How often do you play?

Lusto - It took one year in real time and time played was about 42 days. I usually play one month intensively and then take a long break and plan quitting the game, but I always come back for another month.

AOFroobs.com - What was the slowest block of levels to go through?

Lusto - First ten levels took lot of time because I had to learn the game. At level 10 I understood that for doctor teaming is everything and at level 20 I knew where to buy new nanoformulas. Second difficult stage was at level 61 after totw. Game was starting to become boring camping and I was about to quit for good. Two things changed everything: I decided to check out what is in Meetmedere and I was recruited to Wolf Brigade. I started to hunt borgs with org team and had again excellent online time.

AOFroobs.com - Where are the best leveling places (that you want to reveal)?

Lusto - For levelling teaming is everything. Best levelling places are those where you can get teams. Shutleport to level 10, Subway to level 25, Temple of Three Winds to level 61, Foremans to level 80 or something and then borgs to level 150. After that team missions for the rest of the game. In Inner Sanctuary xp goes to the pool too often so I don't recommend it as levelling place. Around TL6 it starts to get difficult to build mission teams. There are not many froobs at these levels and most Shadowlanders make bad team members because they don't know how to team with froobs. This is where you need your friends. Drag them into your team even if they really would not want to. If they enjoy teaming with you it is ok.

AOFroobs.com - What's the best way to start PvPing?

Lusto - I haven't started PvPing yet but might try soon with my trader. PvP requires deep understanding of game and you meet all kind of morons while doing it so I don't expect to like it. Except if I can pwn those morons, of course.

AOFroobs.com - How well do you stack up to an expansion player in PvP?

Lusto - I would expect that I don't stand a chance. If froobie twink goes against average Shadowlander it might be even match. But twink against twink will be short story.

AOFroobs.com - What items/equipment are a must have for froobs?

Lusto - DIf there would be a correct setup the game would be failure. Anarchy Online has lots of choises and freedom with this. For level 200 doc I have designed raid, solo and tradeskill setups. Currently my setup is a mix of these.

AOFroobs.com - What's the easiest way for a froob to make the big money?

Lusto -Team missions, dynabosses and CoH to get useful items and selling those to other players. That is clearly the best way.

AOFroobs.com - What's next? Twink your 200 or work on alts?

Lusto - I would like to get more involved in social gaming and role playing. Currently AO seems to be game for hard core twinkers and newbies playing their first MMORPG. Nobody plays the story anymore, but the story is good and well worth playing. I am not welcome to team missions because sided people won't get tokens if team has a level 200 char. This limits my playing a bit because I can't use team missions to meet new people. In high end raids froob doctors are obsolete. Most of all I would like to build uber froob raid force to try out high end raids in Rubi-Ka. No Shadowlanders allowed because they would steal the show. We should try to set up a raidbot for froobs who have TL5 and TL6 toons.

Follow-up

AOFroobs.com - As several people know, you helped establish a Froob raid group, Care to comment on the starting events.

Lusto - As you may know we had Atlantean raid bot, and its precedessor running froob friendly raids. Here lot of 220 peeps did RK raids with froobs on them. This was great but it had one major defect: froobs are so much weaker that we could not really contribute to these raids. We were just leeches. I always wanted to _play_ the game, not just get phats. So once I invited all the level 200 toons that I knew and made a team. Then we started to do this regularily and it slowly started to build up. There were others who wanted to play the game too. My role has always been raising the flag and blowing to a horn. Then people who want to try this rally. At start it was all depending on me, because I was the only who would call the rally. But now we have others too.

Thanks to Lusto for taking the time out of his busy playing to answer these questions. Hopefully we can learn from his experience.

Do you know an uber froob that we should talk to? Let us know who they are by sending us an email: interviews@aofroobs.com