Creating a pvp twink (guide, including twinking steps etc)

Looking to OMFGWTFGNAK someone or maybe you know how to and want to share, this is the place for you. Share your PvP and Tower Knowledge here.
reids
Veteran
Veteran

Creating a pvp twink (guide, including twinking steps etc)

Post by reids » Sat May 05, 2007 1:15 pm

I'm bored and i know a couple of people have wanted this sorta thing and may be unsure about stuff so basically i made this guide. Anyway here goes.

Before you start creating your twink, work out what it is you want to do with the character (other than kill people):

Take a look at auno and look at the nano lines for each profession and see what adds they give and what level.

Choosing your level

Fairly self explanatory, what level range will you choose to fight at? This may be decided by a number of factors, will you use the twink for tower defense?
Choosing your level is a big decision, you'll almost always be killed (at least attacked by) people a higher level than you.

The normal pvp levels go something like:

90/91

Then varying levels from then on, if you do a check on what level these can attack, you'll find generally the level higher can attack the level below. So a nice food chain thing going on there. Trick is to try and make a level thats in between, all my TL3 twinks are 70. Can hit the 60 twinks, not at too much of a disadvantage over the 76 twinks, but also out of range of the 90 twinks.

Choosing a profession

Tough choice, your level will normally decide what profession you choose, for example something like 60% of level 15-25 twinks are traders so either join the crowd or roll a profession suitable to counter that.

Take a look at auno at the perks (if you're a paying customer) and the nanos that each profession has that you will likely be using at the level. Work out what you think is possible. I always try for something that sounds impossible but that i'm sure its do-able. That way, even if you try incredibly hard to reach it but can't, you've still ended up with something decent.

Weapon choices

All depends on which profession you chose really, any weapon with AS (aimed shot) is generally the norm since with a decent ql Vision Enhancer and a TTS and you will normally cap them (capping is the term of when you hit the opponent for 40% of their hp, the max you can hit for in pvp until next patch when its moved to 30%).

Onto the actual twinking process!
Reidstrader - 21 trader twink
Reidsadvy - 74 adv twink
Omglieklazer - 76 doc twink
Reidsmp - Retired 76 mp twink
Reidsagent - 91 Agent twink
Reidscrat - 114 crat twink
Reidsnt - 165 NT twink
Reidventurer - 192 adv (220 inc)
Ertist - 220 MA

All omni and on RK1, send me a tell ;D

reids
Veteran
Veteran

Post by reids » Sat May 05, 2007 1:16 pm

Laddering Implants

One of the most agonising parts of twinking is implant laddering. Fairly hard to explain but i'll give it my best shot.

Laddering implants is the process of putting implants in, to put more implants in. So you gradually work youre way up.

For instance, say we are going to ladder treatment, opening aunos implant designer we can see that we can put treatment clusters into the head, eye and right hand. The shiny cluster parts of the implant always add the most, so we put them in last.

So a little example to start with, say we have 479 treatment, with this we can put in a ql 100 treatment right hand. This will give us a boost of 22, leaving us with 501 treatment. Now we add a ql 100 treatment eye implant giving us an extra 33 treatment, leaving us with 534 treatment to implant a head implant. A 110 implant in the head would give us +60 treatment leaving us with a total of 539 treatment.

Then remove the lowest implant (the right hand for 22) leaving us with 517 treatment allowing us to get in higher again. Slowly work you're way up until you hit a brick wall and cant ladder any higher.

When working out the implants, i always open Wordpad or similar, open up aunos implant designer, calculator, and write down all the steps, step by step that i will use, an example of which can be found here

Twinking Items and buffs

There are many buffs and items for buffing pretty much every skill, here i'll go through a list of the main ones.

Stamina:

Buffs:

Iron Circle Castable by a doctor, will add 20 to your stamina

Behe castable by a enforcer, will add 27 to your stamina

Stamina boost Castable by anyone and adds 12

Equipment:

Concrete Cushion The old classic, adds +16 for a pair

Platinum Filigree Ring set with a Perfectly Cut Red beryl Highest ql is actually 250 and will add 4 to stamina, no requirements or level locks. Around 20-30m to buy.

Explosif Pillow Will add 10 stam/strength in each hand. Expensive to buy (roughly 200m for a pair on RK1) But cycles between all the abilities on a right click.

Strength

Buffs:

Iron Circle Castable by a doctor, will add 20 to your strength

Behe castable by a enforcer, will add 27 to your strength

Strength boost Castable by anyone and adds 12

Prodigious Strength Castable by a enforcer, will add 40 to your strength, doesnt stack with IC (over-writes it)

Equipment:

Concrete Cushion The old classic, adds +16 for a pair

Platinum Filigree Ring set with a Perfectly Cut Almandine Highest ql is actually 250 and will add 4 to strength, no requirements or level locks. Around 20-30m to buy.

Explosif Pillow Will add 10 stam/strength in each hand. Expensive to buy (roughly 200m for a pair on RK1) But cycles between all the abilities on a right click.

Agility

Buffs:

Feline Grace Castable by agents, adds 25

Agility Boost Castable by anyone, adds 12

Equipment:

Platinum Filigree Ring set with a Perfectly Cut Red beryl Highest ql is actually 250 and will add 4 to stamina, no requirements or level locks. Around 20-30m to buy.

Tsakachumi PTO-HV.2 Counter-Sniper Rifle Relativley easy to get on, adds 20

These are the most easily buffable abilities so won't go any further in this section, may add the rest later. So try and make your implants based on these abilities since they are the most easily buffable abilities.

You will also probably need Comp lit and treatment for your twinking.

Comp Lit

Buffs

CL expertise castable by anyone, adds 20

Traders also get comp lit buffs, however they are self only and come in nanos that buff by 55, 160 and 260

Equipment:

Galahad Inc T70 Beyer Adds 20 for each pistol, fairly easy to get on at lower levels.

Omni Special Issue Grey Suit Adds 6 for a full suit (no helmet) Details on how to gain the suit are found here

Treatment

Buffs

Superior First Aid Castable by doctors, adds 80!

Treatment Expertise Castable by anyone, adds 20

Surgery clinic. found in any shop, adds 100 for 5 minutes (or until you leave the shop)

Equipment

Omni-Med SuitFound in all omni shops in the clothing section, adds 78 for a full set.

OT-Windchaser M06 Quartz Sometimes found in shops but otherwis rollable, adds 10 treatment along with 8 stamina.

Onto the third part!

I LOVE SATIN
Last edited by reids on Sat May 05, 2007 2:27 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Reidsadvy - 74 adv twink
Reidsnt - 165 NT twink
Ertist - 220 MA

reids
Veteran
Veteran

Post by reids » Sat May 05, 2007 1:24 pm

The twinking steps

Its important to get the steps in which you twink you're equipment on. Always start with places which wont mess up with the later stages (weapon,armour etc). Personally i always start twinking the NCU first so i can get enough ncu for all the buffs i'll need later on in the twinking process (and also for OBs if you decide to use them). After that its a good idea to twink on utilites and HUD items, as well as neck and wrist items.

Ladder up the implants (shown above) to get the highest NCU possible and work out the order in which you will put your equipment on. Usually put the weapon on last

Essential resources

Auno If i ever meet the guy that made this, then i fear for him.

AOskill2 A program that lets you plan the IP on a character before you even make it> useful for seeing what's possible before you launch into something and find its not possibly.

Nano-Nanny Prefer iMatrix for this due to its compatability with aoskills2 but couldnt find a working link for it, but nano-nanny achieves the same. it lets you work out all your implants, generating a list of the final stats etc. Neat program.

Probably more stuff ive forgotten or left out, lemme know what you think and if i've missed anything!
Reidsadvy - 74 adv twink
Reidsnt - 165 NT twink
Ertist - 220 MA

MrCoffee
Seasoned
Seasoned

Post by MrCoffee » Sat May 05, 2007 7:14 pm

http://auno.org/ao/db.php?id=161769&ql=50
Treatment Library

http://auno.org/ao/db.php?id=28898
+25 STR MA buff. Dosent stack with ProdStr, but uses 22 NCU vs 42, so good if you're tight on NCU.

And always start with shiny head treatment when you're laddering. It always works out best.
Icydoc - Lv 200 - RK1

reids
Veteran
Veteran

Post by reids » Sun May 06, 2007 2:34 am

MrCoffee wrote: And always start with shiny head treatment when you're laddering. It always works out best.
ooo, seems i was wrong!
Reidsadvy - 74 adv twink
Reidsnt - 165 NT twink
Ertist - 220 MA

spellmaster
Rookie
Rookie

Post by spellmaster » Wed May 16, 2007 5:58 am

Might be worth mentioning a thing about buffs; what your character can hold will depend on available NCU so it's probably a good idea to raise your comp lit and get a 6 slot belt on or at least a GOT belt 9 (from TOTW) as soon as you can. (I might be wrong but I think the lowest CL req for a 6 slot belt is 365 CL). This can be achieved by laddering in comp lit imps based on say agil.

Ring of Presence, level dependent for the amount of CL it will give you but you can wear two.

A tutoring device available in basic shops will also raise CL a couple of points if you are short.

Treatment Library goes into util 2 and is dependent on CL which hopefully you will raise first!, so another reason to temporarily raise CL! This is a useful thread so let's add some more helpful tips :)

Pnunu
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Pnunu » Wed May 16, 2007 7:52 am

reids wrote:Twinking Items and buffs

There are many buffs and items for buffing pretty much every skill <snip>
Also, it may be helpful to check out a list of Nano Buffs for Base Abilities or Nano Buffs for Other Skills links.
RK2:
Docscrubs (220/28/70)
Pascomu (TL7 Enf)
Pnunu (TL7 Fixer-TS monkey)
Phicksa (TL5 Fixer - Sect 10)
Paddfoot (TL5 Advie)
Phootlocker (TL4 Trader-shop monkey)
Pnumicist (TL3 MP)
Pniper (TL2 Agent - pocket FG boy)
JinPo (TL3 MA-Omni GMSer)

Clan? RK2? Join Knights of Ka

Accomplice
Seasoned
Seasoned

Post by Accomplice » Sun Aug 26, 2007 3:11 am

I have to correct some of your notes about equipment.

Red beryl rings:
- Max QL250, if the beryls is perfectly cut, it will add +5 sta/int from ql 233 on.
Almandine rings:
- Same as beryl ring, but +5 agi/str.
+4 rings cost around 30mil and +5 rings around 50mil nowadays.

I think you mixed those up a little, i.e. put the beryl ring into the agility buffing
part.

Complit buffing items:
- Rings of presence as mentioned above, they have lvl req and buff up to +4 CL per ring. The best ones to get are QLs 1 (+1 CL), 36 (+2 CL), 101 (+3 CL), and 167 (+4 CL)
- Red beryl rings or Ruby Pearl for int trickle down, which are more efficient versus the lowbie Rings of presence
- Head Skinchips - Temperature modifications Buffs 1 to 10 complit from head slot, somewhat common dyna drop
- Senior Omni intern-op coat buffs 1 to 8 complit from backslot.
- very very common item for CL buffing: Salesman's Hat, adds 5 CL, and only requires lvl 20+

~~~
edit:
and yes, dual +5 SL plat rings and a pair of explosif do make a difference
in lowbie twinking. E.g. for sta/str twinking, that will be an additional +14 points compared to a mere pair of concrete cushions and no rings. +14 more base ability means a difference of 7 Qls for the imp that you can equip.
mmorpg addiction... [1][2][3]

Neut4ever
Flagged
Flagged

Post by Neut4ever » Sat Dec 08, 2007 3:24 pm

As for order in putting treatment imps in: it is all the same, tried both ways at many lvls...

A handy item you forgot to mention from foremans (only thing I go in that gankyard for sometimes beside pistol and timscope) http://auno.org/ao/db.php?id=259265.

Ring of presence adds int as well, and there is trickle down...

I usually put armour in for last (ac is usually high anyway, but sometimes you might need the trickledown from buffing armors to get the weapons in). Now with all the mys armors they are good for buffing too, so this might change :)
Now it is only 2 more billion creds to buy a city...

WorldTrader
Elite
Elite

Post by WorldTrader » Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:32 am

The Importance of NCU

A significant KEY to twinking is maxing out your NCU as much as possible.
The more NCU you have the more outside buffs you can hold that will enable you to equip more modifying gear and implants.

Typically I like to start out by enhancing my STAMINA (concrete cushions, triple implants, enforcer buffs, and doctor buffs, and maybe some miscellaneous gear) This enables me to equip better AGILITY implants than normal. Cancel previous buffs if necessary then get the Agent agility buff.

From there I equip the best COMPLIT implants (which use the same Head, Eye, R.Hand as Treatment implants) COMPLIT implants can be all made to have agility requirements only.

Get the CompLit expertise buff and if possible CompLit miscellaneous gear. If you have tutoring, you can also use the CompLit tutoring device.
*Agents and Traders have access to self CompLit buffs above and beyond normal*

Now that your CompLit is maxed you can equip the best NCU BELT possible. Also equip all the best NCU MEMORIES possible.

NOW you are ready for the REAL twinking to begin armed with the NCU space to hold outside buffs because the BIG buffs that matter are quite costly at about 50ncu cost each.
WorldTrader (Level 200 Trader/RK1 Neutral)
"You are GREAT TRADER!" - Blastcore
"One of the Best Traders I've ever met" - Zenur
"Damn You are Handy" - Eskondas
"UR AMAZING" - Brutemage
"I swear you are the best trader!" - Wranglers
"you are UNIQUE somehow :)" - Kalvik4
"truly EXCEPTIONAL" - Mezzbest
"awesome service!" - Skytter
"You are an awesome guy" - Toomz
"How do you have so much power?" - Defiler
"the best trader in the game" - Octavio
"u are the most awsome trader ingame ^_^" - Alzyah
"such craftmanship is hard to come by" - Olcode
"hellz yeah froob power!" - Cyrichor

JungleGeorge
Flagged
Flagged

Re: Creating a pvp twink (guide, including twinking steps etc)

Post by JungleGeorge » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:18 pm

I enjoyed reading this guide for advice on twinking for PvP.

It was mentions "60% of level 15-25 twinks are traders so either join the crowd or roll a profession suitable to counter that."

What would be a good profession to counter a trader at those levels?
Rimor (RK2)
JungleGeorge - Adventurer
SniperGeorge - Agent
BigGeorge - Enforcer
PetmanBob - MP level 60
TraderJoe000 - Trader

Tip: Macro used to generate assist macro with targeted character name.
/macro GenAssist /macro Assist /assist %t

Favorite AO Links

Briandmg
Skilled
Skilled

Post by Briandmg » Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:15 am

JungleGeorge wrote:I enjoyed reading this guide for advice on twinking for PvP.

It was mentions "60% of level 15-25 twinks are traders so either join the crowd or roll a profession suitable to counter that."

What would be a good profession to counter a trader at those levels?
You can either roll an enfo, buff him with INR, go full def and perma rage in the slim hope that you'll be able to counter a trader drain, or you can create a character with an insane alpha. Sloob soldiers and agents seem to have the best alpha at that level.
The Ultimate Endgame Froob PvP Guide :OO
All you ever needed to know to make your L200 froob toon a beast in PvP. :P

Leothorn
Flagged
Flagged

Post by Leothorn » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:14 pm

POint to note : Ql235 >>higher rings give +5 stats and not +4 i.e. the platinum filgree rings
200 Froob Neutral Nanomage Nanotechnician ..http://auno.org/ao/equip.php?saveid=182410
200 Froob Neutral Solitus Trader.................http://auno.org/ao/equip.php?saveid=184468
_25 Froob Neutral Atrox Trader .................http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtytooOIeAw

Squad Commander : House Of Black Star
Trash King Video : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxMf-3SRCyU
Clan Modified A-4001 : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVgll3o3A34
Jack Leg Chopper http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Q86lqBr ... e=youtu.be
Mantis Queen Video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGjpDX-DhCc
Faezal Video : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hc0USc2l ... e=youtu.be