Froobs in the Notum Wars (I’d like input from Reids etc)

Looking to OMFGWTFGNAK someone or maybe you know how to and want to share, this is the place for you. Share your PvP and Tower Knowledge here.
sparxx
Flagged
Flagged

Froobs in the Notum Wars (I’d like input from Reids etc)

Post by sparxx » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:35 am

Although Froobs have been given access to participate in the Notum Wars, they are at a massive disadvantage whilst doing so. Not only are their twinking abilities limited by the lack of AI-armor and SL buffing items and certain buffs, but most key PVP items are expansions based. I’m talking weapons – Ofab/Dreadloch, Kyr’Oczh weapons, Perennium/Mortiig/JAME which are the bread & butter of PVP, armour – Ofab & Combined, Predator Armor, symbiants and rings and other items. There is no froob rifle capable of dishing out damage at the 1/1 rate of a Perennium Sniper, for example. The Neutrino Flash pales in comparison to the Tiig Blaster. Although SoM/CoH weapons have equalised the playing field at level ranges like 15-25 or 60-80, there is no way for a Froobs to compete in PVP at level 60, 100, or 150+. Things get worse when you reach 175, and can be killed by virtually any 200+ character with ease. Paid players have been given perks at a phenomenal rate – SL Perks, Alien Perks and now LE Perks.

Now you’d think that with all that advantage to paid players Froobs would get some secret weapon to make Notum battles interesting. But things get worse. The only thing that could make tower battles more fair and interesting (turrets and mechs) are also paid only. Now a froob player with a turret would really stand a chance of defending a tower site, but without them it’s squish time for the froob. I urge FC to change this policy. FC will argue that there will be no incentive to pay if a froob can kill a paid player – but is this the game that they designed? The spirit of AO is that the player with the best twinking abilities should be rewarded for it – skill based, not that you can insert your credit card and alpha people.

I don’t want to get into a debate about whether you should pay for the game – FC have allowed you two classes of play and that’s that. Froobs have adequate ability at twinking to kill bosses and perform well in PVM, but PVP is severely one-sided. My question is for a froob what are the options for taking part in Notum Wars?

As I see it, our roles are limited to:
-support, definitely at 150+. Froobs cannot compete in 150+ notum wars without the assistance of paid players.
-low level tower battles. Froobs can actually compete below level 100, but only at a extremely high calibre of twinking and money.
-afk killing. Froobs can make a pet class for example and bash tower sites when nobody is online to defend it. From a company point of view, this is very dull and not what was intended by NW.

The problem is that the notum wars is a key dynamic that makes people interested in the war between Clans and Omni, exploring Rubi-ka instead of it being a museum, and making the ongoing war seem realistic. If new players don’t take part in notum wars, they won’t feel as immersed in the game. As the notum wars stands it is a realm for twinks, for people with AI armour and perks to compete with each other. Even if froobs were given access to AI armor for example, this wouldn’t improve participation in notum wars. What is needed is for mechs,turrets,maybe even certain 0% gas perks to be used by froobs to even the playing field and make Rubi-Ka the scene of player battles once again.

Also, XP is not a good enough incentive to take part in notum wars. Now you can buy 50% xp bonuses with the drop of a hat and you can level to 200 easily with dailies. People won’t take part in notum wars for 2% xp bonus. It’s more about pride. So bring in medals, awards and titles for tower battles. Defenders should get titles like Spartan or Fortkeeper – attackers should get titles like Interdictor or Destroyer. Tower advantages need to be significantly improved, with things like absorb auras or +damage modifiers.

Why do I mention this now? FC is rolling out a new engine upgrade which will dramatically improve the appearance of Rubi Ka. But it is mostly a wasteland. When’s the last time Coast of Peace or Varmint Woods or Stret West Bank was heavily populated by players? It’s a waste of time to renovate the look of Rubi-Ka unless you make reasons to go there. And it makes great economic sense to make the notum wars more inclusive – it makes free players more likely to want to buy in to the SL weapons and armor, once they see there is something worth twinking and fighting for.

I hope that someone could get paid players in the forums talking about this.
Killz60 - 200 Opifex Agent
Sparxxx - 150 Solitus NT
Shadehonest - 80 Opi MA
Beastdoc - 78 Atrox Doc
Vichugo - 78 Atrox Sold
Lopht - 39 Soli Fixer
Nanoracist - 36 Soli MP (tower twink)

Proud member of Fractured

Briandmg
Skilled
Skilled

Re: Froobs in the Notum Wars (I’d like input from Reids etc)

Post by Briandmg » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:28 pm

Yup you pretty much nailed it. Froobs pwn at L1-25, and at higher levels (I.e. up to L100), you must design your character very well to dominate towers. E.g. Payments was pretty badass at PvP: See http://www.aofroobs.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=10017" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Most people don't quite do tower wars for the XP bonus. It's more of an epeen thing, especially at lower levels. Being able to dominate a certain level range single handedly and rack up those solo titles on low level characters is quite enjoyable to some people. At higher levels, you get epic massive wolf battles, and that in itself is pretty fun too (although albeit chaotic).

And AO has to be designed as Pay-to-Win ultimately since FC seriously needs the income to get the game going. Wouldn't bother trying official forums. Post any sentiment that is vaguely pro-froob there and you're sure to get utterly flamed. :P People recognise the necessity of designing the game as such, so no point complaining about it really.
The Ultimate Endgame Froob PvP Guide :OO
All you ever needed to know to make your L200 froob toon a beast in PvP. :P

sparxx
Flagged
Flagged

Re: Froobs in the Notum Wars (I’d like input from Reids etc)

Post by sparxx » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:28 pm

Briandmg wrote:Most people don't quite do tower wars for the XP bonus. It's more of an epeen thing, especially at lower levels. Being able to dominate a certain level range single handedly and rack up those solo titles on low level characters is quite enjoyable to some people. At higher levels, you get epic massive wolf battles, and that in itself is pretty fun too (although albeit chaotic).
I agree, but still the only REAL advantage to winning tower battles is the %sideXP and tower advantages (+10 AAD or +6 psy mod isn't really worth dying repeatedly to obtain). Hence I think making it title/medal based would get more participating. As would increasing tower advantages. If towers gave you a 5 or 10% reflect they would be FAR more valuable, for example.
And AO has to be designed as Pay-to-Win ultimately since FC seriously needs the income to get the game going. Wouldn't bother trying official forums. Post any sentiment that is vaguely pro-froob there and you're sure to get utterly flamed. :P People recognise the necessity of designing the game as such, so no point complaining about it really.
I don't have any feud with the pay to be better system. But with the particular nature of Notum Wars, it would be more profitable to make the playing field fairer. The immersive sci-fi world, bear in mind, was what caused many players to sign up, and NW is an essential part of that. Likewise, once froobs have played more notum wars, and gotten killed by paid players in AI armor or by a perk, they're more likely to subscribe than someone who tries PVP once, gets alphad, quits the game. It cannot be good for FC that PVP is so exclusive of new players. Turrets and mechs are basically the only way that new players can take part in PVP without buying credits online. Essentially FC are making the Notum Wars "Paid only" which is less wise than making it "Free player friendly", but with paid advantages.
Killz60 - 200 Opifex Agent
Sparxxx - 150 Solitus NT
Shadehonest - 80 Opi MA
Beastdoc - 78 Atrox Doc
Vichugo - 78 Atrox Sold
Lopht - 39 Soli Fixer
Nanoracist - 36 Soli MP (tower twink)

Proud member of Fractured