Practical uses for the Cloaking Device

WorldTrader
Elite
Elite

Practical uses for the Cloaking Device

Post by WorldTrader » Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:50 am

One of the coolest and yet disappointing items in the game is the Cloaking Device. Unfortunately, there's not much opportunity in-game to make this gear more frequently usable. Possibly the best use of it is in Find missions where you only have to look at some item or person. But even then, you don't get mission xp if you don't kill. So what are some other practical uses for this device? (How much more fun would this be if users were allowed to attack? -conversely- How fun would it be if there were more sneak-centric missions?)
WorldTrader (Level 200 Trader/RK1 Neutral)
"You are GREAT TRADER!" - Blastcore
"One of the Best Traders I've ever met" - Zenur
"Damn You are Handy" - Eskondas
"UR AMAZING" - Brutemage
"I swear you are the best trader!" - Wranglers
"you are UNIQUE somehow :)" - Kalvik4
"truly EXCEPTIONAL" - Mezzbest
"awesome service!" - Skytter
"You are an awesome guy" - Toomz
"How do you have so much power?" - Defiler
"the best trader in the game" - Octavio
"u are the most awsome trader ingame ^_^" - Alzyah
"such craftmanship is hard to come by" - Olcode
"hellz yeah froob power!" - Cyrichor

Llie
Seasoned
Seasoned

Re: Practical uses for the Cloaking Device

Post by Llie » Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:01 am

I have a gimpy nanomage agent that I use primarily as a buff dispenser. This agent can't solo green mobs. In the past I had leveled this toon primarily by dual-log but recently I've discovered lots of uses for concealment for leveling. This isn't limited to cloaking device, but also to getting Mochams in order to cast Pronouncement of Greatness (FP Advy) or Ruse of Taren 2 or 3.

Here's a couple of examples of using concealment to solve my gimpy agent problem:

Got TIM scopes + Collar of Amplification by sneaking all the way to the Director at level 41 by achieving the magic concealment number via agent buffs + cloaking device + pronouncement of greatness and then letting an alt do all the hard work.

Complete Extraction daily mission by sneaking to the NPC (which must either be the soldier or engineer for the NPC to have sufficient survivability) then FP MP, put heal pet on the NPC (and/or cycling through NPC and engineer pets) and sneaking all the way back out without killing or helping to kill a single bodyguard.

Complete the Eavesdropping mission by sneaking up onto the little platform where Ed Burton is and just standing around for about 2 minutes. No need to kill Ed Burton.

Painful way to complete the Contingent Spy daily mission is to enter the mission, fight the Omni-Med guard in the main hallway. If I can kill it with my aimed shot, then take on the Omni-Med Surgeon further down the hallway using the same method. If my AS lets me down, I run out and try again. Exit the mission and repeat. After hacking enough security passes, I activate the device in the first room, and sneak all the way to the last room to pretend to be a box. After completing the mission, I sneak all the way back out.

I could probably sneak all the way to obtain stims for the Illegal Cargo daily mission, but my NT can do it much faster via calms and warp out, so I've never had to do it that way.

My agent is now level 170ish and with 1K Tokenboard, Ruse of Taren 3, Pronouncement of Greatness, and a lowish QL cloaking device I currently have well over 1.5K Concealment. I could have well over 2K concealment if I knew where to find a QL 200 cloaking device.

Ar1z
Skilled
Skilled

Post by Ar1z » Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:22 pm

You can roll one with clicksaver. Also cloaking device helps if you need to blitz 250lvl mishes (mainly for crit scope).
Arenas (lvl 199 Sol Omni Agent) / Zarenas (lvl 200 NM Neutral Engineer)
Kengin (lvl 154 Opi Neutral Engineer) / Nanolaser (lvl 100 NM Clan Soldier)
Obefix (lvl 69 Trox Neutral Fixer) / Arones (lvl 50 NM Neutral crat)
Bestsella (lvl 50 Sol Neutral trader)
Pocket buffing toons: NMenfo, Docaris, Metaphysto

WorldTrader
Elite
Elite

Post by WorldTrader » Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:05 am

Llie wrote:
I could probably sneak all the way to obtain stims for the Illegal Cargo daily mission, but my NT can do it much faster via calms and warp out, so I've never had to do it that way.
I think my lvl 128 agent will give that a try ^^
WorldTrader (Level 200 Trader/RK1 Neutral)
"You are GREAT TRADER!" - Blastcore
"One of the Best Traders I've ever met" - Zenur
"Damn You are Handy" - Eskondas
"UR AMAZING" - Brutemage
"I swear you are the best trader!" - Wranglers
"you are UNIQUE somehow :)" - Kalvik4
"truly EXCEPTIONAL" - Mezzbest
"awesome service!" - Skytter
"You are an awesome guy" - Toomz
"How do you have so much power?" - Defiler
"the best trader in the game" - Octavio
"u are the most awsome trader ingame ^_^" - Alzyah
"such craftmanship is hard to come by" - Olcode
"hellz yeah froob power!" - Cyrichor

Llie
Seasoned
Seasoned

Post by Llie » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:17 am

WorldTrader wrote:
Llie wrote:
I think my lvl 128 agent will give that a try ^^
Ah, worthy of note, if you do try it, when you get up the ramp between the Mantis and the Smuggler's part of the den where the stims can first be found, there is a Den Loot Controller in the left side room that will aggro anything it sees in the left or middle room, which will most certainly happen when you use the lockpick to open a crate. I think it might be doable without aggro and the associated annoying fight if you sneak into the right side room and pick open a crate over there. The stationary guns (I forget what they're called) do not aggro. If you don't have enough B&E skill you may want to get a engy or fixer buff first.

I would be curious to know if it works.

I just thought of the Cyborg Hacking mission. You could probably sneak all the way to the bottom of that mission, but I don't know if you can activate the virus (which will most certainly knock you out of sneak) without getting seen/aggroed by the two cyborgs in the last room.

ironox
Flagged
Flagged

Post by ironox » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:36 am

Llie wrote:
WorldTrader wrote:
Llie wrote:
I just thought of the Cyborg Hacking mission. You could probably sneak all the way to the bottom of that mission, but I don't know if you can activate the virus (which will most certainly knock you out of sneak) without getting seen/aggroed by the two cyborgs in the last room.
Once you sneak down, go into that little recess to the right at that far wall. It is out of LoS and you can complete the mission from there (worked for my agent)
Jennydoit ("Building in your imagination") Lvl 200 TS'ing Eng
Sleipnirfast ("Think of it as a proactive acquisitions strategy") Lvl 195 Fixer
Tradingup ("Oooh, that shotgun's even BIGGER!") Lvl 180 Trader
Sgtfiery ("Reach out and torch someone") Lvl 173 ICSF Soldier
Cthulhulives ("Not your TOTW Cultist. Ia! Ia! Cthulhu ftaghn") Lvl 153 MP
Bandagebabe ("Fine Pharmaceuticals at unreasonable prices") Lvl 158 Doctor
Stupididea ("Party time! Have a blast.") Lvl 162 Shotgun NT
Notthedroid ("Don't worry, I have your back!" [In my crosshairs]) Lvl 132 Agent
Selar ("Really, I'm just a big pussycat") Lvl 156 melee Advy
Sharpanswer ("Have a heart - I seem to have picked up some extras") Lvl 104 Piercing Enfo
Remfbypref ("Go! Go! Go! I'll assess the situation as soon as I finish my coffee") Lvl 105 Crat
Abbienormal ("No Igor, the OTHER subject!") Lvl 100 Eng (Semi-permanent resident in CoH)
And about 2 dozen more alts waiting for their shot at the big time

Llie
Seasoned
Seasoned

Post by Llie » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:45 pm

Ar1z wrote:You can roll one with clicksaver. Also cloaking device helps if you need to blitz 250lvl mishes (mainly for crit scope).
Ok, I just rolled my QL 200 Cloaking Device (thanks to Ar1z for pointing out that they're rollable). I have two words of advice:

First of all, items at the end of their QL range, specifically QL 200 items, they are much more rollable in missions of higher QL than 200. I've noticed the same thing trying to roll QL 200 belts and NCUs. They virtually never turn up when I try rolling level 200 missions, but turn up fairly regularly when I rolled level 208 missions.

Second of all, I would like to remind everyone that Cloaking Devices are UNIQUE. Thanks to my own spazzy stupidity I ended up having to roll for the Cloaking Device three times! The first time I was so excited that I got a Cloaking Device for a mission reward so quickly, I clicked "Request" instead of "Accept". The second time I actually successfully and quite easily blitzed the mission (1K tokenboard+Ruse 3+Pronouncement of Greatness == 1.5kish concealment which turns out to be plenty for a level 208 mission) only to get the "You already have this unique item" message instead of my reward. I deleted the Cloaking Device from my inventory, and set Clicksaver off once again. Third mission unfortunately was a Return Item mission, which I blitzed into with no problem, but there were 2 mobs standing next to the item. I got dropped out of sneak when I picked up the item and made a run for the exit, but got rooted by a fixer mob just before I made it to the exit and was promptly sent to reclaim by the 6 mobs I had in tow. At least my reclaim location was the same city that I rolled from.

GDB2222
Veteran
Veteran

Post by GDB2222 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:54 pm

Don't knock reclaim as a quick way back from missions.
Take it easy on the kid, SilverFox316; everybody kills Hitler on their first trip

Randomchance
Seasoned
Seasoned

Post by Randomchance » Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:42 pm

GDB2222 wrote:Don't knock reclaim as a quick way back from missions.
rezz-meeping works :wink:
Metalomania - recovered from the ether december 2010!
Gablerg & Killermuppet - recovered from the ether january 2011!
(seriously guys, keep track of those toons!)
Froob Configurations