borealis 75% ?!

Out of character discussions about anyting.
Picsel
Seasoned
Seasoned
Posts: 429
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2005 2:18 am

Post by Picsel » Wed May 24, 2006 12:56 am

75% only attackable by mobs
25% attackable by mobs and players on the other sides
5% attackable by everyone outside of your org
0% attackable by everyone outside of your team

When you get flag, you are basically in 0% because everyone can attack you.

I think its a good change and I hope its permanent. Would be nice to see omnis coming to Omni Trade and actually helping their faction instead of leeching in Bor.
Rubi-Ka 2 (Rimor)
Picsel - Omni NT 200 - Froob
Equip - Pvp

palamura
Hardened
Hardened
Posts: 128
Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:29 am

Post by palamura » Wed May 24, 2006 1:15 am

i love bor now,no more wanabe pvpers,no more zone hugging,no more title huggers its great ;)

User avatar
Valu
Seasoned
Seasoned
Posts: 475
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 8:45 am
Contact:

Post by Valu » Wed May 24, 2006 4:32 am

I guess now you have to "consume" your PVP flag in the solitude of your personal appartment, or in Org City...


What I don't understand is how this fits in the storyline. I mean Borealis was meant to be a neutral town, a safe area like Switzerland. Now is just a town like OA, OT, OE, etc, xept the guards are close to nill.
Neutrals were in bad need of love, I guess they just bought the hole from the donut...

Nope, I can't say I like this change. Was lag before because of huge amount of people in front of Fair Trade. Now is even laggy because of the huge amount of pvp-ers waiting for duels. People afk-in in front of FT were unbuffed and they were imobile. PvP-ers are uber-buffed and they are jumping like frogs. Even the vicinity chat is a spam hell.

Borealis was my favourite city. Not anymore. :(
Last edited by Valu on Wed May 24, 2006 4:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hayd
Nanofarmer

I know I'm not insane. The voices told me so.
Need a strategic game? Check this out

Arcanite
Hardened
Hardened
Posts: 148
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:56 pm
Location: RK 2 - Borealis

Post by Arcanite » Wed May 24, 2006 4:40 am

Or grid...but seriously, it's now a real pain to stay in Borealis due to high lag. And no hope to use even the Clicksaver in the area...WTB Arena full of bartenders to borealis.
- Arc

Arcanite TL6/NM GA4 Fixer - Yes, NM fixer.
Arcnanite TL6/NM NT - Frozen
Carlona TL5/Trox Crat - Director of Pinnetti, Pinnetti, and Pinnetti, Frozen
Arcmedic TL5/Opi Doc - Leveling and token grinding..
ArcNT TL4/Trox NT - Running in circles
Arcma TL4/Opi Ma - Leveling and token grinding..
Arcengy TL4/Opi Engineer - Leveling and token grinding..
Archiver 100/NM Crat - CDR supplier, parked to the Biomare dungeon
Beaconer 60/NM Engineer - Stygian smuggler and CoH warper with a level 162 Warmachine.

User avatar
snarfblatt
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1774
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:30 am
Location: Keizer, OR

Post by snarfblatt » Wed May 24, 2006 5:45 am

Ok.. I wandered into Borealis last night not remembering the gas level and a 214 Atrox NT tried to take me out, but I cocooned up and warped in Pnunu (my little fixer friend in blue) to grid me out.

Make sure if you head there, that you don't have any damage shields running or else you'll get flagged right away since the gankers are waiting for you at the grid. Next time I'll be ready for that stooopid NT.
Rubi-Ka 2 (Rimor)
Snarfblatt (Engie) - Ex-President - Knights of Ka
Studmuffin (Advie)
Beatinstik (Enforcer)
Roleo (Soldier)
Schemp (MP)
McLuvvin (Keeper)
Jamesblatt (Agent)
Snarfette (Engie)
Misokute (Doctor)
Snarftech (NT)
Snarfix (Fixer)
Rubi-Ka 1 (Atlantean)
Snarfblatt (Engie)

Venderim
ModSquad
ModSquad
Posts: 580
Joined: Sat Nov 19, 2005 7:35 am
Location: Newcastle, England
Contact:

Post by Venderim » Wed May 24, 2006 6:16 am

I have to say I was hoping the change in gas level would clear the streets of the laggers that making passing FT a complete nightmare, if anything its even worse now. And as Snarf said, any form of damage shield running can cause problems with gankers waiting to pounce. Trouble is certain symbiants always have damage shields running as does the bio shielding perk line. So unless you want to remove otherwise useful symbiants or reperk arguably the most useful perkline in the game you should be careful - specially engineers with aura's running on their bots.
RK1
Venderim - Solitus Soldier. Lv 220 Equip
Vanderim - Atrox Enforcer. Lv 98
Minivend - Atrox Soldier. Lv 12
Vendadvy - Atrox Adventurer. Lv 110
Kickervend - Opifex MA. Lv 80

RK2
Vendkeep - Atrox Keeper Lv 6

User avatar
Boinky
ModSquad
ModSquad
Posts: 1128
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:37 am
Location: The Stick
Contact:

Post by Boinky » Wed May 24, 2006 6:31 am

Well I've been careful of my Engi auras for awhile now, hopefully I don't forget as Borealis is my main home.

Personally I hate this. There are enough places already for the PvP/Ganker crowd to get action without making Borealis another avenue for their annoying attentions.

But we have no intention of letting this really affect us. My guild has a little spot of Borealis we call our own. The corner just across from the main Whompas between the mission terminals and the Trader shop is and has been Circle G Corner for about 3 years now roughly. I look forward to standing on Circle G Corner and flatly refusing every imbecilic taunt from wannabe gankers till they tire of the attempts, or some of my fellow guildies who excell at PvP instead show up and send them quickly to reclaim.

Oh but that's on Atlantean - just noticed this is Rimor - on Rimor my guild is safely in Newland City :D

Feydakin
Skilled
Skilled
Posts: 251
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2005 11:12 am
Location: Rome Green

Post by Feydakin » Wed May 24, 2006 11:02 am

Lots of people are complaining about this already, especially since it was an unannounced change. Stupid, stupid, stupid idea... First of all, they didn't announce it anywhere, gave no reasoning for it at all, and gave the players no chance to debate the change and voice their opinions about it beforehand. It makes absolutely no sense fictionally that Borealis should be a PvP zone at all. Lastly, Borealis was laggy as hell before because it is used heavily as a universal marketplace, now it is at times completely unplayable, and is used as a griefers playground. Instead of doing things like this for no reason, give PvP some actual use and meaning instead of it being a griefers tool and a lag creator. No, I haven't been attacked in Borealis, I heard about it being 75% as soon as it was noticed and know how to avoid problems.

I know people are speculating that this change was necessary because it may have something to do with LE, but nothing afaik has been confirmed or denied by FunCom, which leads me to believe that they just did it for their own amusement or something... :roll:

Let me just say, the only reason that I don't like this is because of the lag it creates, and because the change was unannounced. It just seems to be, at this point a completely pointless change that adds nothing good to the game. PvP is good you say? Well yes, but if PvP content has some meaning other than pointless bragging rights and epeen stroking maybe.
· Rimor ·
· Hastuur - Meta-Physicist ·
· Feydakin - Adventurer ·
· Ogrenex - Enforcer ·
· Feydagon - Soldier ·
· Shadofex - Fixer ·

Hxer
Hardened
Hardened
Posts: 173
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2006 1:09 pm

Post by Hxer » Wed May 24, 2006 11:44 am

Valu wrote:I guess now you have to "consume" your PVP flag in the solitude of your personal appartment, or in Org City...
Backyards are probably 100% still, I guess, like they are in omni and clan areas?
Former 220 omni nm doc on Atlantean.
Now I focus on Heptagram777, a neutral trader on Rimor.

User avatar
Boinky
ModSquad
ModSquad
Posts: 1128
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:37 am
Location: The Stick
Contact:

Post by Boinky » Wed May 24, 2006 11:59 am

Hxer wrote:
Valu wrote:I guess now you have to "consume" your PVP flag in the solitude of your personal appartment, or in Org City...
Backyards are probably 100% still, I guess, like they are in omni and clan areas?
Haven't checked but I hope so. Still though, much safer to beat it out of town if you are flagged instead of getting caught on your way to the BY door.

lpx
Elite
Elite
Posts: 1799
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2005 5:19 am

Post by lpx » Wed May 24, 2006 12:19 pm

Feydakin wrote:Lots of people are complaining about this already, especially since it was an unannounced change. Stupid, stupid, stupid idea... First of all, they didn't announce it anywhere, gave no reasoning for it at all, and gave the players no chance to debate the change and voice their opinions about it beforehand.
i agree with you, it should have been anounced and a reason givin.

i dont know what the reason was.. was it to spark interest in PvP to gear people up for LE? i dunno. as it is now it's just ganking going on.. no one fights friendly duels in the middle of a group of 50 people.

some people hate PvP period.. there will be no "getting them amped up for LE", i think this is prob at least part of the reason FC did this.. they have made a few changes that seems to pit people together for PvP..
honestly PvP is the weakest aspect of AO.. the combat system is not that great and balanced. i do pvp sometimes but it's not my primary goal when i play.. now if it was played like a FPS.. then i would do it more.. where a persons skill would play more part.. as it is now it's whoever has the best gear, stats, and osb's.. of course for that to happen the lag would have to be fixed... and i dont mean a FC fix i mean a real fix..

when i first heard of this change i was happy i thought it would mean less people hanging out at FT.. lots of them are dueling inside and use outside as a means of escape.. well it has not turned out to be true so far.. i give it a week.. maybe two.. if they are still fighting like they are outside ft then the only solution is to make borealis 100% again AND make shops 100% which would have fixed lag issue from the get go. which is why i think FC's primary reason was to get everyone excited about PvP, but ganking is'nt really PvP and it's not gonna make someone who already dislikes PvP any more happy about it. i guess will have to wait and see.

as far as dmg shields i will test this in game today however iirc if you have auto attack off then dmg shields will not get you flaged if someone mongos or something.. eng auras however will; but again i will test to make sure im correct.

lpx
Elite
Elite
Posts: 1799
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2005 5:19 am

Post by lpx » Wed May 24, 2006 3:05 pm

Venderim wrote:any form of damage shield running can cause problems with gankers waiting to pounce. Trouble is certain symbiants always have damage shields running as does the bio shielding perk line. So unless you want to remove otherwise useful symbiants or reperk arguably the most useful perkline in the game you should be careful - specially engineers with aura's running on their bots.
eng auras yes, but dmg shields wont get you flagged i tested this with a enf friend

ENF flagged, ME(MP) not flagged, (with shields running)
1. mongo with autoattack off, nothing
2. mongo with autoattack on, nothing
3. mongo with autoattack on and combat pet spawned on guard, nothing

if anyone can suggest another test to run let me know it.. but from what i can tell this myth is dead.. even with a pet on guard, shields running, and autoattack on i did'nt get a flag.

tweek
Seasoned
Seasoned
Posts: 672
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2005 9:49 am

Post by tweek » Wed May 24, 2006 3:48 pm

anyways i have been having tons of fun naming my pets after people in the zone and getting tells like no fair 2 on 1 and stuff and amazingly enough bor lags less then before and i can kite like mad

Tarradax
Wordbearer
Posts: 4080
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:08 am
Location: Eye of Terror

Post by Tarradax » Wed May 24, 2006 7:17 pm

I still find it amusing - People are now running INTO FairTrade to escape gankers. Anyway, point of the matter - I rarely have lag, even in Bor and I still don't have lag there now... But even if I did, I still wouldn't whine about the gas because... Well... I just love the chaos the city's in now. It's not like gas was dropped to 5% or 0%, and it's not like you are now forced to PvP... You just CAN PvP. So go out and have some fun - It's not like you even lose anything if you die in PvP.
Ye' Olde Fixer Guide, By Me.

/Tarradax, Proud Owner of Questionable Morals.
/Baene, It's Like A Beanbag Chair. With a Gun. And a Temper.
/Bonekrakka, Get Your Choppas Ready, Boyz! Time For A WAAAAAAGH!
/Happythought, Hand-Made Silk Kites! Beautiful Strings!
/Littleshank, Choose Difficulty: []Hard []Medium []Easy []Very Easy [X]Atrox Melee Adventurer.


Completely Unrelated To Anything Link

User avatar
someone_Else
Skilled
Skilled
Posts: 362
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2005 8:05 pm

Post by someone_Else » Wed May 24, 2006 7:18 pm

lpx wrote: if anyone can suggest another test to run let me know it.. but from what i can tell this myth is dead.. even with a pet on guard, shields running, and autoattack on i did'nt get a flag.

It was fixed awhile back, not long after someone used a damage/reflect shield related exploit to put a PVP flag on one of my characters.

Locked