Best endgame froob profession?

Got something related to in-game that doesn't really fit elsewhere? This is the place.
misterj
Amateur
Amateur

Best endgame froob profession?

Post by misterj » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:17 pm

Before we start, i just want to say... DONT FLAME ME!!! :|
ok... I've read and know the pros and cons of most professions and have actually played AO on and off for about 3yrs...
i've had fixers and traders and even a coupled of failed enforcers..

But THIS TIME, i'm determined to go to the end. :twisted:
Even with knowing the pros and cons, i still dont have the expert knowledge some of you have in this forum, so i want your inputs =D>

So.. my criteria and playstyle is, i want someone that is:

1. Solomaster; (hard to kill and deals high damage most importantly) but also much needed in teams ... (my fixer is a blitzer and my trader is training to be a tradeskiller :P )

2. one of the most worthwhile froob classes at the later games (as in, i dont mind if the above qualities emerge lategame)
lv 100-150?
lv 150-200?

3. Not TOO expensive. I may have a couple of toons to support him, but i'm not stinkin rich.

4. Preferable to be ranged, but VERY open to melee suggestions (so long as the damage output justifies the shorter range)
Creampimp - RK2 - lv119 Trader
Blitzpimp - RK2 - lv99 Fixer
Leathaface - RK2 - lv58 Enforcer

etocynned
Flagged
Flagged

Re: Best endgame froob profession?

Post by etocynned » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:12 pm

I think i might be close when i reccomend a MA for melee, BIG dd with heals, great survivability
as for ranged i may have to say soldier, a good alpha class, kill it before it kills you lends itself to soloing
Regards,
Etocynned

Main- Likeve Lv150 Trox Enf RK1
Cantcatchme - lv 64 fixer
Grawg - lv 91 MP
Downsimba - lv 12 chair trox enf
Treenis - lv18 nt
Roflstawmp - lv 10 engy
Qwertina - lv 27 "nanorage" enf
Laundard - lv 60 totw ma
Tradewitmii - 25 trader
and Multiple alts incl. MA, Doc and Trader

...the path back to Paradise is lined with the bones of my enemies. Their screams soothe me during the long nights, when I dream of what I have lost. I laugh when I recall their writhing anguish, their groveling to please me, the hope that their suffering will be put to an end. But I feed from their anguish and the begging look in their eyes as they grovel at my feet, hoping for a cessation...
Ripped from item description of Abyssal Desecrator, but it sings in my ears.

Randomchance
Seasoned
Seasoned

Post by Randomchance » Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:19 pm

I wouldnt recommend MA or solja personally. Answers in order:

1. solomaster. Fixer, mp, trader, advy, engie* crat* nt+
2. useful. Fixer, mp, trader, advy, engie, crat, nt, agent, enf, solja and possibly ma.
3. cheap. mp, trader, advy, engie^
4. ranged. fixer, trader, engie, crat, nt

With the daily missions it is rediculously easy to level toons to 200 with very little work. Best bet is probably pick a class that you enjoy to play and stick with that. If you are currently quitting your classes because you are finding them a chore/not fun thats a serious problem.

*with available osb's
+if kiting is your idea of being able to solo
^if you go without a lot of the tradeskilling toys
Metalomania - recovered from the ether december 2010!
Gablerg & Killermuppet - recovered from the ether january 2011!
(seriously guys, keep track of those toons!)
Froob Configurations

markp89
Hardened
Hardened

Post by markp89 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:29 pm

I think soldier with HD setup after the rebalance.

misterj
Amateur
Amateur

Post by misterj » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:28 pm

oh.. a fixer and trader have such high survivability? Mine has always been squishy! but i've always been cheap in giving them good implants :P

randomchance: are all the professions u listed good at the late game? I rememebered reading somewhere that advys and MAs lose their effectiveness at the late game? I've just a faint memory of that little bit of info though :lol:

whats a soldier with a HD set up?

WeeScotsman
Hardened
Hardened

Post by WeeScotsman » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:36 pm

Although i don't have one yet...I'm guessing ma engi is top of the list.

major dd/def setting/nice reflects and ac/mega blinds/aggro sharing/warps ...maybe more that i dont know about :)

Randomchance
Seasoned
Seasoned

Post by Randomchance » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:01 pm

misterj wrote:oh.. a fixer and trader have such high survivability? Mine has always been squishy! but i've always been cheap in giving them good implants :P
Well you do get out what you put in. Cant really expect a toon to perform well at tl4 with no lovin since that totw twinking. Fixer can currently insta meep to grid, so you should never die. Hows that for survivability! Traders can chain cast drains, which at the top of the line is 1k heal (~215hp/sec). Throw in the other buffs and you are running around with 7k AC and 1400+ AR.
misterj wrote:randomchance: are all the professions u listed good at the late game? I rememebered reading somewhere that advys and MAs lose their effectiveness at the late game?
Yes.
Advies still slice and dice just as well at endgame. The main thing that all professions is you need to put a bit of love into them to get them to perform. It doesnt matter which class you are talking about. The other thing to consider is that the hp curve of the mobs increases exponentially with level where damage does not. Each fight takes longer as you level, so the definition of survivability changes a bit.
misterj wrote:whats a soldier with a HD set up??
The current flavour of the month/markp89's latest pet project.
Froob Configurations

Nicodar
Seasoned
Seasoned

Post by Nicodar » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:12 am

Randomchance wrote:^if you go without a lot of the tradeskilling toys

even without those optional toys, engies are not cheap.

It is the fate of all cookies to be broken. A whole cookie is an uneaten cookie and cookies are made to be eaten. So who can really deny fulfilling a cookie's destiny?

markp89
Hardened
Hardened

Post by markp89 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:45 am

WeeScotsman wrote:Although i don't have one yet...I'm guessing ma engi is top of the list.

major dd/def setting/nice reflects and ac/mega blinds/aggro sharing/warps ...maybe more that i dont know about :)
Ma engie's gonna getting nerfed so hard, The blinds was the most important thing to solo an bit.
And now they gonna nerf blinds!

Ill vote for an soldier after the rebalance!

HD soldier, is an atrox soldier with alot stamina items/armor.
If you got 801 stamina than you get an 2 seconds Heal Delta tick that will heals you for about 150 per 2 seconds, and if you sith than about 170.
You can pvp pretty well with it, even solo also.
Good thing is soldier can use BBB+Freedom arms for pvm, and BBB + Onehander for pvp, And also got an ip to swap to an hellspinner if you gonna do raids.

GDB2222
Veteran
Veteran

Post by GDB2222 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:15 am

I think that the utilitarian answer is an Atrox MP wielding a Howlet (cos it's not expensive). If you want ranged, use a bow instead, but you won't do as much damage. By about lvl 110 you should have enough skills to cast the top damage pet and levelling should not be too hard after that. He'll tick all the boxes, really. Good soloer, of use in a team, decent damage with the Howlet. Generally melee weapons give more damage than ranged. You have your nukes, of course, which will give more damage than the pet or the weapon.
Take it easy on the kid, SilverFox316; everybody kills Hitler on their first trip

WeeScotsman
Hardened
Hardened

Post by WeeScotsman » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:41 am

@markp

Im not sure about after the rebalance ...but right now the HD soldier looks weak to me.

BBB /freedom arms use same ammo.....not really much add dmg if HD set up, so overall DD looks mediocre at best, downright poor realistically :)

Defense wise ...you are sacrificing a lot of evade clsc for sta....your not gonna evade anything.

long story short as soon as you come up against anything that Ods your HD you're gonna be in trouble.

However after rebalance (5 years from now :) ) things may be different.

misterj
Amateur
Amateur

Post by misterj » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:35 am

thanks for all the answers guys... now comes my second part of the question...

when it comes to DPS, which profession would excel at the endgame? I'm talking hit hard and hit fast.. huge damage dealer. And constant, not some one-hit wonder. :mrgreen:

EDTA
Moderaidtor

Post by EDTA » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:52 pm

misterj wrote:thanks for all the answers guys... now comes my second part of the question...

when it comes to DPS, which profession would excel at the endgame? I'm talking hit hard and hit fast.. huge damage dealer. And constant, not some one-hit wonder. :mrgreen:
(MA) engi and NT generally seems to be best DPS at raids. MP and MA as well. Enfo's can often be high, but usually not the very top. Certain soldiers always seem to do good, but other soldiers don't.

http://tlfiveplus.com/index.php?board=2.0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; --> this is where our raids get announced: every raid generally gets a damage table after the raid: you can take a look there to see for yourself.
RK2
Main: Edta 200 NT,*Setup*, General of NEPA, Raid Leader of TLfiveplus
Mounky 158 agent / doodytrad 163 trader
Wanh 1 trader / Kaiter 60 NT / E Lektra Natchios 24 agent / Mewaku 30ish enfo
Froob For Life, Neutral For Life, AO For Ever

Randomchance
Seasoned
Seasoned

Post by Randomchance » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:19 pm

misterj wrote:when it comes to DPS, which profession would excel at the endgame? I'm talking hit hard and hit fast.. huge damage dealer. And constant, not some one-hit wonder. :mrgreen:
pfft. ignore having fun, its all about the dd-peen.

You can make just about every class decent dd if you pump a few bil into them to get all the fancy toys, which is contrary to your original point 3. Best you pick a class you enjoy playing because then spending the money for the toys will seem less like a chore. That and you will be less likely to quit like past attempts.
Froob Configurations

misterj
Amateur
Amateur

Post by misterj » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:43 pm

Randomchance wrote:
misterj wrote:when it comes to DPS, which profession would excel at the endgame? I'm talking hit hard and hit fast.. huge damage dealer. And constant, not some one-hit wonder. :mrgreen:
pfft. ignore having fun, its all about the dd-peen.

You can make just about every class decent dd if you pump a few bil into them to get all the fancy toys, which is contrary to your original point 3. Best you pick a class you enjoy playing because then spending the money for the toys will seem less like a chore. That and you will be less likely to quit like past attempts.

hey its not all about e-peen..! for me, i like seeing huge chunks of health bein cut down, its very satisfying.. i have the same strange fetish with seeing large numbers adding up in general (ie. bank account) :mrgreen: I never pvp anyway. i like to solo my own mobs on the down-low, quietly orgasming over my own uberness.