PVP Enabled nano from Female Corporal

Got something related to in-game that doesn't really fit elsewhere? This is the place.
yungawa
Fresh
Fresh

PVP Enabled nano from Female Corporal

Post by yungawa » Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:29 pm

I was killing Seasoned OT on the ferry in 2HO when I unintentionally aggroed a Female Corporal.

I usually try not to aggro any guards since they don't give XP or drop anything.

What bothers me is the "PVP Enabled" nano that makes me PVP enabled for 15 min.

First, how is it that an NPC can give me that tag? Is that a player placed NPC?
Does anyone know what the game effects are?

Modu
At least I'm 220.

Post by Modu » Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:14 pm

Attacking guards gives you that nano, it opens you up for other players to attack you.
So say we all.

Weeping Willow
ModSquad
ModSquad

Post by Weeping Willow » Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:53 pm

it is also call a "flag" and makes your name shown as :

** yourname **

and you become "pvp enabled" so everyone in your pvp range can attack you ... (most of the time your own faction wont though...)
RK1, Omni and General of Newcomers Alliance

GridPain Fixer TL5 Frank Nfurter : Doc TL5 (pvp version)
JimProfit : Level 100 Crat (foreman helper)
New leveling crat : Coredumped

WeepinWillow, Forcedevente, Whipinwillow, Slayie, NeedleWorker, Asafart, Ouvreboite, Asafurt, Malaucrane, Karmapolice ... etc etc ...

flyingengi
Veteran
Veteran

Post by flyingengi » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:14 pm

The main reason for the pvp "flag" is so that when players of the opposing faction enter a major city and are attacked by the guards, they can't just kill the guards and keep going. If they attack the guard, it allows the players of that city to help defend by attacking the "flagged" attacker.
  • Rookie "Flyingmp" - RK1 - LVL220
  • Flyingengi - RK1 - LVL199
  • Freshman "Flyingblades" - RK1 - LVL150
  • Flyingadvy- RK1 - LVL128
  • Apprentice Imfat "Deathinabag" Yourdead - RK1 - LVL49
Facebook

yungawa
Fresh
Fresh

Post by yungawa » Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:05 am

Does the "flagged" attacker get to attack players that are not flagged & conversely can non-flagged players attack flagged players?

What defense does an NPC city/outpost need in a fixed game world?
What can a player do in a the opposed faction fixed locations other then generate spam?

WorldTrader
Elite
Elite

Post by WorldTrader » Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:33 am

yungawa wrote:Does the "flagged" attacker get to attack players that are not flagged & conversely can non-flagged players attack flagged players?
Flagged players cannot attack non flagged players.
Non-flagged players MAY attack flagged players but doing so in-turn gives themselves flags.
It's more a sense of role-playing and sustain the sense of division. If the opposite faction were to just walk around your city any time they want the sense of story and conflict is gone.
What can a player do in a the opposed faction fixed locations other then generate spam?
Fight guards :P - I've heard there were high level missions/quests where you have to search and destroy opposite faction npc's, someone more familiar may be able to answer better.
WorldTrader (Level 200 Trader/RK1 Neutral)
"You are GREAT TRADER!" - Blastcore
"One of the Best Traders I've ever met" - Zenur
"Damn You are Handy" - Eskondas
"UR AMAZING" - Brutemage
"I swear you are the best trader!" - Wranglers
"you are UNIQUE somehow :)" - Kalvik4
"truly EXCEPTIONAL" - Mezzbest
"awesome service!" - Skytter
"You are an awesome guy" - Toomz
"How do you have so much power?" - Defiler
"the best trader in the game" - Octavio
"u are the most awsome trader ingame ^_^" - Alzyah
"such craftmanship is hard to come by" - Olcode
"hellz yeah froob power!" - Cyrichor

Tarradax
Wordbearer

Post by Tarradax » Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:06 am

WorldTrader wrote:
Fight guards :P - I've heard there were high level missions/quests where you have to search and destroy opposite faction npc's, someone more familiar may be able to answer better.
The quest for the upgraded 1k board, for one. Involves killing special guard-type mobs.
Ye' Olde Fixer Guide, By Me.

/Tarradax, Proud Owner of Questionable Morals.
/Baene, It's Like A Beanbag Chair. With a Gun. And a Temper.
/Bonekrakka, Get Your Choppas Ready, Boyz! Time For A WAAAAAAGH!
/Happythought, Hand-Made Silk Kites! Beautiful Strings!
/Littleshank, Choose Difficulty: []Hard []Medium []Easy []Very Easy [X]Atrox Melee Adventurer.

Completely Unrelated To Anything Link

WorldTrader
Elite
Elite

Post by WorldTrader » Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:42 am

Tarradax wrote:
WorldTrader wrote:
The quest for the upgraded 1k board, for one. Involves killing special guard-type mobs.
Ah makes sense, since I'm NEUTRAL...I don't concern myself with faction sided boards :P
WorldTrader (Level 200 Trader/RK1 Neutral)
"You are GREAT TRADER!" - Blastcore
"One of the Best Traders I've ever met" - Zenur
"Damn You are Handy" - Eskondas
"UR AMAZING" - Brutemage
"I swear you are the best trader!" - Wranglers
"you are UNIQUE somehow :)" - Kalvik4
"truly EXCEPTIONAL" - Mezzbest
"awesome service!" - Skytter
"You are an awesome guy" - Toomz
"How do you have so much power?" - Defiler
"the best trader in the game" - Octavio
"u are the most awsome trader ingame ^_^" - Alzyah
"such craftmanship is hard to come by" - Olcode
"hellz yeah froob power!" - Cyrichor

Tarradax
Wordbearer

Post by Tarradax » Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:02 am

WorldTrader wrote:
Tarradax wrote:
WorldTrader wrote: Fight guards :P - I've heard there were high level missions/quests where you have to search and destroy opposite faction npc's, someone more familiar may be able to answer better.
Ah makes sense, since I'm NEUTRAL...I don't concern myself with faction sided boards :P
Normal 1k board: Flags of Glory and Redemption
Upgraded board: Triumphant Flags of Glory and Redemption

You also get a nifty little buff cast on you - Union Buster. That one stays with you if you die, stacks with just about everything, pretty neat.
Ye' Olde Fixer Guide, By Me.

/Tarradax, Proud Owner of Questionable Morals.
/Baene, It's Like A Beanbag Chair. With a Gun. And a Temper.
/Bonekrakka, Get Your Choppas Ready, Boyz! Time For A WAAAAAAGH!
/Happythought, Hand-Made Silk Kites! Beautiful Strings!
/Littleshank, Choose Difficulty: []Hard []Medium []Easy []Very Easy [X]Atrox Melee Adventurer.

Completely Unrelated To Anything Link

yungawa
Fresh
Fresh

Post by yungawa » Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:20 am

WorldTrader wrote:
yungawa wrote:Does the "flagged" attacker get to attack players that are not flagged & conversely can non-flagged players attack flagged players?
Flagged players cannot attack non flagged players.
Non-flagged players MAY attack flagged players but doing so in-turn gives themselves flags.
It's more a sense of role-playing and sustain the sense of division. If the opposite faction were to just walk around your city any time they want the sense of story and conflict is gone.
Ok just as I thought. Another poorly implement funcom game mechanic. The better way would be to just beef up the city guards (which almost every other game does) or just not have NPC faction cities (which most dedicated PvP games do).

End result. AO isnt even worth 5 USD per month. Back to being a froob, if I play AO anymore at all.

lollie
Flagged
Flagged

Post by lollie » Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:24 am

um, QQ?
az> I think we need to work on our communication..one guy is talking crap, one just goes lol and the other one doesn't understand what's going on
ee> lol
uo> wut?

Randomchance
Seasoned
Seasoned

Post by Randomchance » Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:37 am

yungawa wrote:Ok just as I thought. Another poorly implement funcom game mechanic. The better way would be to just beef up the city guards (which almost every other game does) or just not have NPC faction cities (which most dedicated PvP games do).

End result. AO isnt even worth 5 USD per month. Back to being a froob, if I play AO anymore at all.
Oh noes! AO does something a little differently than every other game out there does. The mechanic is there and works well - attacking a sided guard mob flags you for sided pvp conflict. Working as intended.
Metalomania - recovered from the ether december 2010!
Gablerg & Killermuppet - recovered from the ether january 2011!
(seriously guys, keep track of those toons!)
Froob Configurations

Vabla
Seasoned
Seasoned

Post by Vabla » Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:12 am

Considering there's quite a few quests that involve you going to other faction's cities (fgrid, token board upgrade, bazzit) it'd be quite unfair if the guards were doomsday machines from hell (well Omni-AF are if you're froob).
And you never saw someone raiding the other faction's city have you? All the backyard hugging, ganking, drama <3 It's quite a mess if enough people show up. And some people still use flags if they want to pvp for fun without having to use the duel system.
Vabla AKA Bliaha is LOST between worlds
It's PONY time! Find me on dArt

Mikro
Hardened
Hardened

Post by Mikro » Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:02 am

1 thing folks. You dont get flags when guard hits you, you get them when you strike back.

So turn autoatack off and ignore low lvl guards, highlevel will kill you anyway :P
Froobs
Mikrometa 200 MP

Sloobs
Vetus 220 Enf

yungawa
Fresh
Fresh

Post by yungawa » Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:58 pm

Randomchance wrote:
yungawa wrote:Ok just as I thought. Another poorly implement funcom game mechanic. The better way would be to just beef up the city guards (which almost every other game does) or just not have NPC faction cities (which most dedicated PvP games do).

Oh noes! AO does something a little differently than every other game out there does. The mechanic is there and works well - attacking a sided guard mob flags you for sided pvp conflict. Working as intended.
I don't have a problem with different. I have a problem with game play mechanics that reward poor behavior in a player.