4-Froob Challenge (opinions needed)

Got something related to in-game that doesn't really fit elsewhere? This is the place.
MetalScar
Rookie
Rookie

4-Froob Challenge (opinions needed)

Post by MetalScar » Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:40 am

Planning on starting a little 4-froob challenge and after some input on viable combinations...

4 toons starting from scratch, one of each breed - tank, dd, healer and support
No multiboxing, outside funding, kiting or OSBs (except to equip new gear)

Due to where my second monitor is, I won't be actively playing the primary healer or support toon - just emergency heals and buffing.
Only want one pet prof at most and the support toon needs to provide some kind of passive healing or benefit to the party (MP, fixer or crat maybe).
What would you go for and why? Enjoy playing all profs, best I've come up with so far but not convinced by is...

Enfo - atrox/tank (2HB)
Advy - opifex/dd (1HE)
Doc - solitus/healer (pistol)
MP - nanomage/support (shield)

Edit - Further Info:

Basic idea is I'm a returning player, now froob instead of paid, and want to have a lvl 200 character for each of the roles mentioned so that I can log a toon to fit an org / group's needs at the end of it all.
I could easily do this via kiting but I like a challenge and have personal reasons for wanting to do it the way I have, mainly experiencing whatever content takes my fancy as and when I feel like it - just not PVP.
While I'll be mainly using the tank and dd toon, it's nice to have heals on tap and the added bonus of a support prof for buffing / utilising instead of the dd toon along the way.
Essentially I want it to be a group that can get comfortably through the majority of pve content en-route to 200 and, while I could do this with 2, certain encounters need certain team setups - ie. more heals, more cc, more damage.

TL:DR - I will use all 4 to attack when needed but mostly I'd rather just have a healer for when I need it and some passive support via either HoTs, XP gain, humi, etc. depending on what I roll with on the way to 200.

As the 4th or support toon probably won't be used much for combat, I don't need to worry about much more than their nanoskills, so it'll really be a passive helper - way I'm looking at it...

MP would provide a healpet on tank, throwing out nanoskill buffs, nanocost and imp-making.
Fixer would provide HoTs and more NCU for the group, alongside the rest of the non-combat toolkit for speeding up travel times but wouldn't use the snares/roots unless the encounter needed it.
Crats would provide some AAD/AAO and XP buffing but wouldn't use the rest of the toolkit unless the encounter needed it, particularly charms as too much going on already with 4 logged.
Engi would provide warp and reflects on a passive basis but again wouldn't get used for combat unless he was moved to the DD toon spot, so the other 3 provide a little more with that in mind.
Last edited by MetalScar on Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

Rain
ModSquad
ModSquad

Re: 4-Froob Challenge (opinions needed)

Post by Rain » Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:55 am

Why, four agents of course.

Honestly though, I'd require more information.
(Why do you need two chars with CH, why isn't the MP allowed a weapon while a dedicated tank is nearby, etc. ...)

Assuming you actively play the enfo, the amount of healing you can throw his way is... excessive.
What are you after, killing rk uniques at lvl 200?

I don't really understand why you want to play four chars at once, or what type of goal you set for yourself.
What I do notice however, is a surplus in healing and a lack of dd and crowd control.

My personal list for everyday encounters (therefore geared towards dealing pain... and even more healing!) would probably look like that:
MA or Sol - tank / main dd
MP 2hbcreation - dd / support
Crat or Fix - Crowd Control / support
Advy 1he or Agent - dd / main healer / general uberness
The mark of a truly superior player is the use of his superior judgement to avoid situations requiring the use of his superior skill.
Jensenberg | Bureaucrat
Odeleder | Trader
Intellant | Meta-physicist
Smierc | Martial Artist
Nicolaj | Agent
Snaut | Engineer
WeylanYutani | Enforcer

R.I.P Atlantean - THE Raidbot

Zlixero
Flagged
Flagged

Post by Zlixero » Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:03 am

I've been experimenting with multiboxing a froob team here a bit. And hotkeynet will make playing 4 (or more!) toons less tedious and more fun, you should try it!

For a team of 4 froobs, I'd probably go with engi crat doc for support;
Engi - (team) warp, blind aura, reflects
Crat - giving the whole team up to 310-385 extra AAD and 100 AAO
doc - UBT and heals (duh). Nanomage is a good choice for an easier time with nanoskills and a better nano delta tick rate

And one of these for tank/main toon. All can be decent to good tanks;

adv - defensive or offensive auras. more heals and decent dmg
ma - more crits & heals, good dmg
fixer - gsf hot ncu, meep, fgrid and their dmg is pretty good too at endgame with a Skawt equipped
enf - mongo+decent dmg
sold - reflects, tms tanking, good dmg
  • Zlixero__200_____-..Zqagent_199
    Misspew_200__....__.Zqengi-_ 199
    Zqenf___200__......- Zqcrat.._.199
    Zqdoc __200__-____Zqma_....1XX
"Solo'd" (multibox'd)

MetalScar
Rookie
Rookie

Post by MetalScar » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:45 am

Rain wrote: Why do you need two chars with CH, why isn't the MP allowed a weapon while a dedicated tank is nearby
Don't need two chars with CH, I'd be treating the advy as the DD toon so it was just a random byproduct, semi-useful for bosses with a few too many adds I guess.
Could give the MP a weapon admittedly but I'd rarely be using it to attack (support toon just a passive follower), so until pets cap out it's just an extra safeguard really.
Rain wrote: Assuming you actively play the enfo, the amount of healing you can throw his way is... excessive.
What are you after, killing rk uniques at lvl 200?
I don't really understand why you want to play four chars at once, or what type of goal you set for yourself.
What I do notice however, is a surplus in healing and a lack of dd and crowd control.
Edited the OP with a bit more info - had been trying to keep the word count down but realised I'd left out some situational info.
Definitely agree on the CC bit, main reason I was unconvinced by my initial party. Thinking a Crat or Fixer as support could be the way forward here.
Rain wrote: MA or Sol - tank
Got to admit this was the way I was leaning, just thinking the enfo would provide a bit more safety with add control.
Nothing worse than being halfway through something with multiple toons logged and 1/2 of them getting lost to adds.
Zlixero wrote: hotkeynet will make playing 4 (or more!) toons less tedious and more fun, you should try it!
For a team of 4 froobs, I'd probably go with engi crat doc for support
It almost certainly would but I still have reservations about multiboxing even outside of PVP, kinda like kiting - many benefits, just not for me as will rarely need to control more than 2 at a time.
Engi as DD with the crat providing the AAD/AAO as support could be quite effective though, how's the pet-pathing on RK these days?

Cheers for the input both, thinking Enfo, MP, Advy, Fixer could be a better option perhaps... definitely enough firepower and sustain anyway.

Lusto
Skilled
Skilled

Post by Lusto » Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:31 pm

I was enlightened by reading this. I have been always little bit fuzzy on dual logging, or multi boxing. I have been using several toons in multiple occasion on raids or soloing to make things more feasible. But I never used or accepted automated tools to control them. Usually one is the active and rest are afk, performing whatever function they were set.

This thread made me realize that being against richer multiboxing is not correct. Its a feature that should be supported, and I believe that a MMORPG that embraces that with rich UI may have potential for something big. Although not knowing the scene that much I would not be surprised if that one already exists.

With that, I am now a supporter! Who would have though?
Lusto (level 200 doc) Lostu (level 200 adv) Losto (level 200 MP) Lustu (level 199 Soldier)
Lyrangitus (level 100 Trader) Lyran (level 74 Agent) Lyrangitis (level 25 Doctor)
Froob Since 2005, Member of Wolf Brigade, Founding Member of Froob200

MetalScar
Rookie
Rookie

Post by MetalScar » Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:56 am

Yea I've got to admit, I've been swayed by it and decided to roll with a 5 toon MB setup now... tried the 4-toon party last night the old-school multi-logged way and too much going on.
Going to have a proper think before I reroll my 5 but thanks again all for the advice /thread