Sandworms

Got something related to in-game that doesn't really fit elsewhere? This is the place.
Bovinedaddy
Fresh
Fresh

Sandworms

Post by Bovinedaddy » Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:43 pm

When I first came to AO back when the game first started, the one mob that freaked me out (more due to the bugs these beasts had surrounding them) Sandworms. Now all these years later, are they a worthwhile mob to kite or is the exp so low or they just hit to hard to be worth kiting? (for those prof's that can kite).

Saavick
ModSquad
ModSquad

Re: Sandworms

Post by Saavick » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:42 pm

Their XP is similar to other mobs of their level, but there's two difficulties when kiting them:

1. They have a very long range even though they are melee, so it's impossible to stay ahead of them to avoid damage.
2. Even in Greater Tir County, where they are most common, there's maybe 4 together per group. Usually you'd want more for kiting.

They can still be worthwhile to kill individually though, to get some Sandy Piece of Goo. Drop rate is like 5%.
Saavick 200 doctor Lokuta 200 soldier Violentmeany 200 enforcer Angrymeany 200 engineer
Vladja 200 agent Meany 200 fixer Littlemeany 200 adventurer Skathi 200 soldier
Luettl 199 bureaucrat Nuclearmeany 190 nano-technician Ingundis 185 martial artist
Sunilda 182 meta-physicist Boesemueny 179 trader Haadriah 163 martial artist
Richilde 136 adventurer Mueny 136 meta-physicist Ryahna 131 adventurer
Whaaaaaa 122 bureaucrat Wildmeany 100 adventurer Svanhvita 100 engineer
Kvada 80 enforcer Vladdy 64 trader Achilla 60 soldier Angrymueny 60 fixer
Ealhswith 56 agent Enragedmeany 25 enforcer Yngvildr 15 soldier

Trappin
Hardened
Hardened

Post by Trappin » Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:24 pm

I can't think of a single positive reason to kite these things for experience, not only will you need to contend with the bugged sandworm melee ranges, but you'll be harassed by various lesser/greater anun tearer spawns in the area - which is guaranteed to ruin your kiting adventures.

New nano/health chargers can't be used whilst in combat - so you'll need a supply of the old when kiting.

Bad idea all around :glasses9:

Llie
Seasoned
Seasoned

Post by Llie » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:42 pm

I remember kiting the Tir County vultures and sandworms quite extensively in my search for a Ring of Flying and Sandy Goo/Plates.

I don't remember having that much trouble with the sandworms. They were pretty scary when I was low level and they did have crazy long melee range, but not a problem if you have even longer nuke range (max range via buffs and buffing items), and if you got a GSF before you started, it's pretty easy to stay ahead of them and outside their attack range. The main trick was that you can't nuke at max recharge speed, you have to spend a few moments running to maintain your lead ahead of the sandworms.

The new nano/health stims heal both nano and health. Stupid expensive, but restores everything in one stim.

Correct, there are rarely more than one or two grouped together, so you won't really be doing a AoE kite, but single nukes take out individual sandworms fairly quickly.

This thread brings up a great point. Borgs are easy to kite by comparison. Since they're always chasing you, they virtually never attack you, whereas sandworms are melee and will attack you the entire time they're chasing you unless you can stay ahead of them. Sandworms are a good mob to hone ones kiting skills. Not for XP, but maybe for the experience.

Bovinedaddy
Fresh
Fresh

Post by Bovinedaddy » Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:05 pm

You know I remember back a few months after Ao started and I was with a group hunting Shades. These Sandworms would now and then start attacking before you'd see them. Then there were the times they'd kill you and if you had saved at the outpost to the south and re-spawn there, they'd still follow you all the way to the outpost, kill you again several times and kill the guards. :) Fun times.

Trappin
Hardened
Hardened

Post by Trappin » Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:55 pm

Bovinedaddy wrote:You know I remember back a few months after Ao started and I was with a group hunting Shades.
That shade location was an awesome group experience camp and a great place to meet new people - I made some lasting friendships there. :)