tough without friends or Org, or self sponsor

Got something related to in-game that doesn't really fit elsewhere? This is the place.
Xaat
Flagged
Flagged

tough without friends or Org, or self sponsor

Post by Xaat » Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:45 pm

(This is not a guide or complaint or complement, it's just a revisit what a new player experience feels like)

Note: Nothing new, and it is brief but long, can't write everything I have done in the past 5 days, might be boring or could be entertaining
A Short version would only help New players which is - Find a good Org and Friends

Back when I received the email about the big Patch, I couldn't recall my old account(s), so I started a new one, but under a week I did find my account name(s) and PW(s), so this new FROOB account had been dormant till a few days ago, I thought hey lets see what life as a Froob, that has no Org, or friends or even self sponsor to help getting started.

I choose to do this on the MA I had started, who was still in Arete.
Since I do know some knowledge, this wasn't truly as a New Froob Smell character or the following actions what I do, I take that as someone that did some research
The some knowledge part was I disabled XP gains, @ QL10, this was to do missions to get me some Creds, I was looking for Concrete Cushions, the first few hundred or so missions I rolled without Mish Buddy or Click Saver , Actually had forgotten about those, till I saw in Newbie chat someone was suggesting it to another new player, So I grabbed Mish buddy, and running low on Health and Nano Stims I thought I go into the Subway and cull some Stim Fiends to stock up on the health stims . . cheap and fun way, for me it is :wink:

Back to the Mission terminal ( I prefer Newland City for this). After 1100 rolls, I gave up on ever getting QL10 Concrete Cushions, So now it was just rolling to gain some Creds to get/Afford some QL50 pre-made Implants, and I engaged XP Gains, I would dash back to the Condemned Subway to break from Terminal missions.
I should add one thing, I skipped doing the starter Missions, Since just about everything you receive you already received in Arete, or could have.

I was gaining Levels faster then Creds, so disabled XP gains again @ QL15 . . I knew I wouldn't be able to afford the Pre-mades by the time I was wanting to install them if I didn't gain more creds faster.
Not sure what I'm doing wrong I always had QL50 Implants by Level 20, but I wasn't getting there, this time around, so I must have forgotten something Back to search the threads how to make Creds . . from what I read I'm not doing anything wrong, just bad luck, 3 days and not enough to even get half the implants. Turned XP gains back on.
At level 18 I thought I would take a peek in TOTW, I did get me one dead Cultist, felt good, went back to mission terminal see if I can get some MA Attacks . . no luck there, so before any more creds wasted I just grab 5 Missions in Newland City. That got me to L19+

So just for fun maybe I can get in TOTW as a group is running through, maybe get me a Robe . . HAH . . luck finally there was such, well I didn't see the group, but the first few hallways were cleared, and there was a Unlooted Fathful with a robe .. Sweeeeeet =P~ better then what I have from Arete

ahh A cultist . . I win sweet .. another cultist . . I win again . . battles are tough, this goes on for 3 more, but that 3rd one killed me, but during that time I did "DING" 20.
I was looking at my gear .. Ah poop .. I haven't upgraded my Newcomer Armor since QL 8 #-o
easy remedy, I install 3 of the 4 QL50 Implants I have, and found a Higher QL Attack of the Snake attack I can afford and use , made a quick run back to TOTW, much better surviveability, Pretty much just TOTW till L29.

Uhm . . I forgot yo get the shoulder pads before leaving Arete, but I seemed to have farmed the parts in Arete for the Clan/Omni Shoulderpads quest. So off to visit Dodga and Alvin. Perfect timing, just as I finished the second Shoulderpad quest I "DING" 30
I was so into just doing TOTW I had forgotten to even start getting Dailies, not much a fan of them anyways so I wasn't missing anything in my view,

@ L32 I gave in
I logged in another character, bought the rest of the QL50 Premades needed and some Nanos, So I ended up Sponsoring myself any ways but not much it was less the 300k.
I could had spent more Creds and time and twik a tiny bit, only extra thing I did was build a QL30 Comp lit Head

I had all the Ape fist and Tree of Enlightenment books but #3 & #5 of both. I researched and cross reference any clues to narrow the locations down. I would team with someone and just follow them, but they seemed to kept going opposite of where I needed to go, though I knew just one of those missing books was in the area they were wanting to go. this wen on like that for a while. while at L42 I made my way to the area I need to farm for the last 2 books, which was #3 . . took 3 kills and picked up #3 of the Ape Fist (Least one I wanted, but hey it's more XP after seeing the Hermit), ok seem this #3 was dropping ever 3rd kill of Acolyte Bryant , I knew from my research he was one that could drop it, or Acolyte Amber, who is in the other Hallway of the same area. So I dash through the room where Uklesh the Frozen hangs out, to the other Hallway, and there is Amber . . first kill and there is that missing #3 Enlightenment book.

I needed to figure where the Hermit was at, without asking first or research, I took the death as a way out of TOTW, to later discovered, I should had just ran out, coming from TOTW to reach the Hermit was the shortest route #-o
For some reason when I prepped my IP to use the Tree of Enlightenment I was 1 IP short, and I didn't have any extra IP, so had to level . Back to TOTW . . I still need a Exarch Robe anyways.

I "DING" add that IP point I needed, and preceded to killing Exarchs and others while helping a slightly younger Newbie MP, not one robe dropped, between the few days earlier till the last death in TOTW, I never saw any Exarch Robes I decided I'll just run back the MP logged off and I was going to, just after I get in that safe spot in that corner room near Aztur the Immortal, along the way, not sure if they were a Enforcer or Keeper asked me if I wanted to join the team, I said sure but I was logging off as soon as I reach the room, they had no problem with that and asked what I needed, I said all I need is Exarch Robe, so I followed as they killed everything before I could target , and killed a Exarch for me to loot, and there was me a Robe YAY. I felt like I have killed a Kazillion of these guys and never seeing one, then teaming with the right team poof there it is.

And that's the point I be at. I was thinking of staying in TOTW till I "DING" 50, earning creds from kills, then back to researching for what to do next . . see normally I just hang out in SL unless there is something I need in RK, I know what or where I would need to go next in SL but I haven't much of a clue what to do in RK without Friends or Org . . it's feels a bit out of place . . well more like it's all new again . . well maybe more lost :D
Last edited by Xaat on Thu Dec 10, 2015 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rain
ModSquad
ModSquad

Re: tough without friends or Org, or self sponsor

Post by Rain » Thu Dec 10, 2015 3:32 pm

Two things that keep my own frustration while rolling missions at bay:

- Start Clicksaver when you are at home, but got actually other things to do than playing AO.
Check wether you got a few missions every now and then, but do not sit at the PC to stare at CS doing its thing.

- Try to avoid rolling for just one item in the designated levelrange. Add some other items of interest.
In the case of the elusive ql 10 cushions.. or generally anything on one of the blitzlists - if you don't find one within 10 minutes of rolling missions, do not grind your teeth and wait.
Change the slider setting of CS. Yes, these settings do influence the items you see as reward.

After the temple you'll most likely want to visit the Biomare research facility. Most people call it "Foreman's".

Most importantly - make friends.
Join chatbots like froob200 and/or froobchat.
Ask people you teamed with for a guest invite to their orgchat and/or add them to your friendlist to team them in the future.

Oh and... maybe use the enter key every now and then if you intend to write a few paragraphs. Makes reading a lot easier.
The mark of a truly superior player is the use of his superior judgement to avoid situations requiring the use of his superior skill.
Jensenberg | Bureaucrat
Odeleder | Trader
Intellant | Meta-physicist
Smierc | Martial Artist
Nicolaj | Agent
Snaut | Engineer
WeylanYutani | Enforcer

R.I.P Atlantean - THE Raidbot

Xaat
Flagged
Flagged

Post by Xaat » Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:00 pm

Rain wrote:Two things that keep my own frustration while rolling missions at bay:

- Start Clicksaver when you are at home, but got actually other things to do than playing AO.
Check wether you got a few missions every now and then, but do not sit at the PC to stare at CS doing its thing.

- Try to avoid rolling for just one item in the designated levelrange. Add some other items of interest.
In the case of the elusive ql 10 cushions.. or generally anything on one of the blitzlists - if you don't find one within 10 minutes of rolling missions, do not grind your teeth and wait.
Change the slider setting of CS. Yes, these settings do influence the items you see as reward.

I edited in the spacing, does it look better now ?, I was just search and pecking away, certainly I'm not a writer (obviously), I used Preview but got some message that said I couldn't so really didn't notice it was a wall, even after I read it after pressing Submit

I do grab a mission, now and then, I let it search for 200 clicks then find me 4 missions just single clicking on my own. I couldn't recall what else other then the Cushions, so only have the Cushions in the list. Some of the items in the starter level (QL5) one could just farm the back yards for. I cannot recall off hand what those items were that are also on the Blitzlist.

I didn't mean all those rolls was done in one single action, but after reading I see how it looked like I let it click forever on it's own

Thanks for the the suggestion and corrections :oops:

Trappin
Hardened
Hardened

Post by Trappin » Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:11 am

I've always used engineer class when self sponsoring. Only need to fill three implant slots (MC/TS) to be effective when making your best weapon - an OE robot pet (comp buffs to make your own QL10/15/20 implant set - cheaper than premades). Need decent NCU/3 slot belt - which every character needs anyhow. Two store bought QL1-10 old English +5 INT pistols. Lacking a few points NCU? Backyard Peddlers sell QL1-10 NCU pistols cheap. Beg MP MC/TS and comp buffs. Your bot will be deep red. You've already pre-rolled 3 or 4 max difficulty missions - so hit the mission entry and cut that crazy red robot loose. Cheap and easy.

Mission slider setting make a huge difference. Rollable QL 22 OT-Windchaser M06 Quartz.

Check shops for lowest skill level 3 and 4 slot belts and resell them. QL 44 Galahad Inc. T70 Beyer. QL 1 Second-Hand Old English Trading Co. Buy in bulk (check market terminal pricing)

Froob can make good coin from RK mission chest items like pepper pistol sealed containers. Check tradeskill department for odd things like a QL1/51/101/151 nano pylon = pepper pistol break points.

Xaat
Flagged
Flagged

Post by Xaat » Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:57 pm

timing . . lol .. I logged into another account that has a engineer, and couldn't cast his pet because it's just what you said to do, he's low enough to just reroll, but he does have some holiday/Anniversary NoDrop Items that I like, so on that new account I rolled me a new Engie to familiarize my self again, I didn't bother with the Belt or NCU missions in Arete, I still have a few of those sitting in a Bank some where.

Timing . . I say because I was just about to read in the engineer section to see what one needs to do with a engineer and you happen to mention it here , thank you

was thinking of getting a MP, I should be able to make it to mid 30's, to have some of the buffs needed to help the Engineer, something I read in the engineer section. I already have one, but last played 6 years ago, to much a gap to remember how to play a MP, heck I took a 3 month break from online gaming and forgot how to play my Shade on my SLOOB account when I returned, so a 6 year break I may had forgotten some.

ehh maybe be thinking to far ahead

Xaat
Flagged
Flagged

Post by Xaat » Fri Dec 11, 2015 5:23 pm

found a MP I had started 3 years ago, will reroll that one, already deleted and boxed up his nanos and Imps to Xfer to the new one.
I see I'll only need to reach L25, but what I really wanted from the MP to help my other characters would be L50 . . that's a little more effort then I was planning, but if I could get teamed up, may not be a bad thing . . I'll need to play on my SLOOB account for some items, if I read correctly.
I dunno, when I saw the QL50 requirement I was kinda turned off a little, but hey it would still be nice to have the QL25 Composites, so will start one, first mile stone is to be able to use the QL25 composites. I know I have that nano stashed in a character bank some where.

Only undecided in creating this MP is the weapon choice,

I have Bow's saved, on a MA/Bow Atrox I have, I was wanting to keep the Monsters I have for the pistol Soldier/ and engineer (till he gets the parts needed to upgrade his starter pistols), the 1HB may be interesting, I know I'll be doing some leveling in TOTW, so getting my hands on the 1HB's that drop there may be easiest.
Okay decided, I seem to convinced myself to try 1hb while typing this.

I do have some Soft Pepper canisters, but they're a bit on the low QL side

Rain
ModSquad
ModSquad

Post by Rain » Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:57 am

Bows are imho a rather underwhelming experience until you reach lvl 151 for the Special edition Kyr crossbow.

If you want to deal some damage either follow the 2hb way - Neleb rod - Howlet - azure cobra, or rely on your pet and skip weapons altogether in favor of just nuking/debuffing.

You did notice that you cannot cast composite teachings/masteries/etc on your froobs, right?

Last but not least - Making new characters over and over IS expensive.
Level a char at least to lvl 100 or 150 so you can actually make some credits by shopfooding trash to the terminals, so you don't have to rely on a lucky sale to an other player.
The mark of a truly superior player is the use of his superior judgement to avoid situations requiring the use of his superior skill.
Jensenberg | Bureaucrat
Odeleder | Trader
Intellant | Meta-physicist
Smierc | Martial Artist
Nicolaj | Agent
Snaut | Engineer
WeylanYutani | Enforcer

R.I.P Atlantean - THE Raidbot

Xaat
Flagged
Flagged

Post by Xaat » Sat Dec 12, 2015 3:32 am

I should had saw a red flag . . when I checked which nanos I could use there was a FP, but also SL and spec 1, but I was blinded by the the read of just getting a level 30 MP, and then seeing that FP . . my Sloob Agent was holding those nanos. was quite bummed when I realized my mistake.

I would rather just nuke but that would be easier with a SLOOB or Full account

After seeing the need to be SLOOB or Full for Comp Teachings, I'm pausing the MP, after I reach a level 25-30. so a few more hours of the MP, then back to the MA

I do have a Tier4 froob (Agent) and a couple tier 5 SLOOB's ( Agent and Shade) , I was just wanting to revisit the life of a FROOB from scratch with no help. If I reactivate my Full account then more T5's and a Agent on the verge of T6, but all those were with Org and/or Friends. I want to see if I can actually solo and only with PUG's ,no Org or good friends or help from my higher level characters that could help.

a true Solo experience Something I never really had a chance to do in AO, since I always had a ORG or Friends to buff and help me.
I feel like I had been spoiled now . . not as easy to get by with out some help, and there's the fact I forgot a lot

So the help and suggestion I have received in this topic has been very helpful, I really wasn't expecting it, and very much appreciate it