QL200 implants (for a level 100 froobie soldier)

Post here to share information about places you've been, tips you have, or anything you feel would be worthwhile for others to know about.
Sferykal
ModSquad
ModSquad

QL200 implants (for a level 100 froobie soldier)

Post by Sferykal » Sun Jan 15, 2006 12:29 am

QL200 implants on a level 100 froobie soldier

I didn't know where to put this, and because it's only partly related to soldiers, it has a lot of things which are useful for other professions as well.

I will add comments in italics, they do either explain some basic stuff about twinking or additional comments.

I won't present it like I did it, because there were a couple dead ends I had run into, which you don't need to experience as well. In the end this shouldn't be seen as the definitive guide, but as a pool of ideas, which you can use on other characters or on a similar leveled soldier twink.

Preconditions
  • Opifex soldier
  • 303 STR, 315 AGL, 306 STA, 306 INT, 310 SEN, 225 PSY (not maxed)
  • 410 CL, 411 treatment, 82 multi ranged, 83 rifle, 83 pistol
  • some Burst and Full-Auto skill (normal weapon skills for a soldier)

Goal

QL200 implants in most of the implant slots. QL200 implants need 951 treatment (951-411 = 540 treatment to buff somehow) and 404 in one of the abilities. With Jobe clusters it is even worse, but personally I don't use them, so I ignored these.

Preparations

Lets count together what we have: sum: +109 treatment

buffs:
For all those who are not that familar with the AO skill system, I will add some more information here. Every skill in AO is based on one or more abilities, e.g. treatment is based on intelligence (50%), agility (30%) and sense (20%). That means raising agility and sense by lets say 100 has the same effect like raising intelligence by 100. Infact, with 100 more intelligence you get 100*0.5*0.25 = 12.5 more treatment in the end. The factor of 0.25 is always applied, the 0.5 is this 50% mentioned above.
If you buff INT by 12, AGL by 37 and SEN by 27, you get: (12*0.5 + 37*0.3 + 27*0.2) * 0.25 = 5.625 (~5) as an increase in treatment.
This effect is called trickledown, and will play an important role in the twinking process.
sum: +105.625 treatment (:-P, lets make it 105 for simplification)

While implanting we use a stationary surgery clinic, which gives another +100 treatment for the process.

Total sum: 109+105+100 = +314. This equals a treatment value of 725, which is enough for low QL150ish implants (QL152 max).

Treatment Library

Because the treatment will be very tight in the end, every point counts. That's why we will not just use the next best treatment library we run over, but a really good one, the higher, the better. A friend had a QL155 treatment library over, so I took this one (which is actually a shame, QL157+ libraries give +15 treatment instead +14).

Anyway, lets look what we got: about 150ish implants, if we want to mess around a bit, we can use treatment implants already, and replace them again with CL implants (CL and treatment skills share the very same slots in all 3 possible locations).

CL = computer literacy skill.
Implants have "slots", which can be filled. These slots are named: shiny, bright and faded. These slots are filled with so called clusters, which add to an ability, skill or something else (e.g. HP, AC, or even XP-Bonus, shielding, damage modifier etc.). For every implant type (e.g. head, eye, right hand, ...) there is a fixed set of clusters, which can be used with these.
For every skill/ability/... there exist only 3 clusters in total: one shiny, one bright and one faded. If you implant all 3, this skill/ability/... is called "triple-implanted". The shiny cluster makes up 50% of the total bonus, the bright 30%, and the shiny 20%.
Triple-implanted abilities are increased by (QL[implant]/2+10), e.g. QL200 implants raise triple-implanted stamina by 200/2+10 = 110.
Triple-implanted skills are increased by (QL[implant]+10), e.g. QL150 implants raise computer literacy by 150+10 = 160.
If you have different QLs of the implants, calculate the total for triple-implanted, and then multiply it with the respective percentage shown above, e.g. a QL126 treatment head gives: (126+10)*0.5 = 68 treatment. (Head gets a shiny treatment cluster, hence 50% aka 0.5 as factor.)

If we extrapolate this, we have: ~160 CL bonus from implants and +20 from CL expertise, makes +180 bonus for a total of 410+180 = 590 CL. This leaves more than 30 CL to go. 20 CL can be covered by equipping a QL44 Beyer pistol, 5 by a Salesman's Hat, 4 are covered by 2x Ring of Presence. Trickledown is 12*0.25 = 3 from INT boost. Makes a bonus of 32, for a total of 622 CL, exactly what I needed.

In reality things went a bit different. I had a QL129 Treatment Library already installed (giving +12 treatment). Knowing, that I will need every single point of treatment, I opted for a high QL 140ish Treatment Library (giving +14). By sheer luck someone of my org replaced his QL155 TL with a QL200 one. I had some QL140ish CL implants handy already, but lacked a bit more CL then. I decided to dual-wield these pesky QL44 Beyer pistols without spending one IP into MR (Multi-Ranged). First thing was to get treatment up and beyond all means, by stacking them up the way described further below. I got a QL185 right wrist, QL191 left wrist and some higher QL eye (couldn't find it anymore, probably recycled in the process to a new eye.). I ended up with exactly 293 MR, used a Juggler's Treat as ring and had 303 MR then to dual-equip these pistols (using Extreme Prejudice from an engineer to buff pistol skill by 120).

Treatment without implants: 725+14 = 739.

Virral Triumvirate Eggs

The most trickledown comes from INT, so it's probably good to fill empty slots with treatment (we did that already) and INT buffing equipment (that's what we will do here). VTEs need 321 in INT (with an INT boost we have this already: 306+12+2*2 = 322) and 321 in PSY (with PSY boost we still need 321 - 2*2 - 12 - 225 = 80 PSY). Instead of making new implants, I decided to look up the stuff I had on my doctor, and found the following implants: QL 142 head (+40 PSY), QL 106 ear (+13 PSY) and QL 126 chest (+22 PSY), for a total of 75 PSY, lacking 5 PSY, which I covered by using some Nova Dillon armor pieces.

That allowed me to equip two of these VTEs, one in each shoulder.

Treatment bonus: 2*15*0.5 * 0.25 = 3.75, with the above mentioned overflow it will become ~4.
Treatment without implants: 739+4 = 743.

On a sidenote: These VTEs are not mine. Friends from the org I'm in borrowed me these for the twinking. Thanks guys! This also means, you don't need to own every single piece of equipment I used here, if you have friends who will borrow you this or that. Makes things easier for everyone :-)

Biomech armor

Now, while the Physician's Cap and the Biomech armor cloak are not bad, they could definitively require an update, especially the cloak. With the above installed VTEs we have like 321+30 = 351 PSY. Looking at a database (auno.org, aomainframe.info), we will find that at QL123 the treatment bonus of the Biomech armor steps up from 6 to 7, with a PSY requirement of 342. That's just perfect, and having a higher level alt at a level where I could blitz QL123 Biomech armor, this was easily obtained.

Treatment bonus: -6-4 +7+7 = +4
Treatment without implants: 747 (that's a bit more than 200 to go with implants).

Stepping treatment and ability implants

Aside of the QL144 implants, which I had used from level 75 on, I already tried this step before updating the treatment library, biomech armor and adding VTEs. My calculations were a bit off, though (forgot the 0.25 factor in trickledowns ...), so I got stuck in the stepping process and was forced to rethink the whole thing.

I won't go into much detail here, instead I will explain what is needed to get treatment up and how the stepping works. The above mentioned first attempt lacked some details I will add here.

What implants do we need?
  • Head implant with treatment (shiny) and sense (faded).
  • Eye implant with treatment
  • Right hand implant with treatment and some bright cluster making this implant agility based (e.g. fast attack).
  • Chest implant with sense (shiny) installed (make it agility based by added strength (faded), for example).
  • Waist implant with fireAC (shiny), sense (bright) and agility (faded).
  • Leg implant with agility (shiny) and stamina (bright).
  • Feet implant with agility (bright).
  • Ear implant with intelligence (faded) and concealment (bright) (to make it agility based).
Stepping an ability or skill is done by putting in the implant which has this ability/skill in the shiny cluster. Naturally, you can start with other implants there, infact if you do it correctly, you will end up at the same point; using the highest first shortens the way to the goal, though.

Then you put in the bright based implant and last the faded. For treatment this means first the head, then the eye and then the right hand.

Now comes the stepping: Removal of the head, and replace it with a higher QL head. Due to the bonus the eye and the right hand still give, you will be able to put in a higher QL head than before. Same can be done with the bright based and the faded based implants, _if_ it will result in an increase (especially faded implants tend to stick at the same result, because they need a big increase in QL to step up once).

The trick here are the sense clusters and the INT ear, which I didn't use in the beginning, but make up for a number of treatment points (sense gets boosted by over 100 in the end just from implants, thats 100*0.2 * 0.25 = 5). Together with over +100 AGL implants (~7.5) and this INT ear (~2.6) it results in a bonus of about 15 treatment!

A thing I should note here: Getting the implants in the right QLs can be pretty damn hard sometimes, I had the luck of being a packrat and having a collection of many higher QL implants from QL150 on. Precalculating everything is probably a good thing (if done correctly *ahem*), the the other way is to do it iteratively, e.g. doing new calculations after each step.

Anyway, so you can see how the things progressed, I have made 2 setups at auno.org to show these things in more detail:
  • First setup. 935 treatment fully buffed. As you see, I had my first VTE in already (lacked a second at that point still). The implants are purely treatment based, still. Pretty high QL +AGL implants (waist, leg, feet) in use.
  • Second setup. 960 treatment fully buffed. This is the final setup I used. Ql123 Biomech, a second VTE, a +3 Ring of Presence (borrowed like the VTEs), and added sense + intelligence implants. The head and the right hand implant got fine tuned, means they were pushed to the maximum possible QL. This is especially important for the head, because it has treatment in the shiny cluster, and thus increases even in low QL steps. 960 seems a bit overboard, but that's good, because the final setup won't have any sense nor intelligence implanted, and 960 is exactly the amount I needed to remove these additional +SEN and +INT implants and stay at exactly 951.
    Note: This setup gives 323 treatment unbuffed and without trickledowns (= ~939 treatment total with NCU buffs). Add trickledowns from the implants and equipment, and you will end up with more than 951 treatment.

QL200 implants!

With all that done, and enough treatment + high abilities (agility, stamina and sense allow for QL200 implants) you can fill the empty slots now with QL200 implants of your choice. I pushed the things a bit further, which means in the end I can have all but 3 implants (unfortunately 3 of the most important ones for soldiers) at QL200.

The remaining implants should be weighted by importance and ripped out + replaced by the final implants in that order (so you get the highest QL for the most important, still).

Conclusion

First off, the last part is a bit short for the fact it's one of the important parts. I shortcutted it mostly because I'm a bit lazy :-P. On the other hand I guess only those with some experience in twinking (and the necessary resources) will do something like this, and I expect them to know what they are doing there :-)

Anyway, as it seems it's possible to squeeze (at least an opifex) soldier at level 100 into QL200 implants, although the way to the goal is a very bumpy and uncomfortable one. Looking at how much overboard you can go, and that I haven't reached even the maximum possible treatment (e.g. there could be another Ring of Presence +3, and some more squeezing in the end, e.g. the eye implant), I bet that other races should be able to do a similar thing.

So, good luck, if you have questions or ideas (I tend to forget stuff regulary) and corrections, add them for everyones benefit :-)

Tyranii
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Tyranii » Sun Jan 15, 2006 6:22 am

Geez thats one long, lengthy post. Maybe put it in the Soldier section though? Even though this is good for anyone who was wondering how to twink or level imps to get much higher QL imps in
Blessedbrawl, 200/0 Omni Froob Opifex MA
Panzerzus, 72/0 Omni Froob Atrox Enfrocer
Opitrade2, 45/0 Omni Froob Opifex Trader
Imatroxdoc, 44/0 Omni Froob Atrox Doctor

Paid toons:
Ruffixx, 220/30/64 Omni Opifex Fixer
Pugilius, 205/29/57 Omni Opifex MA
Vindicius, 189/16/45 Omni Atrox Enforcer
Medeor, 188/22/36 Neutral Solitus Doctor

Proud General of Obsidian Order

Messeka
Seasoned
Seasoned

Post by Messeka » Sun Jan 15, 2006 12:38 pm

This is relevent to all classes, though you kinda distract people with the '100 soldier froobie'.

A personal note is, twinking into ql 200 imps will give you a leg up on other soldiers your 'age', but it will not make you a gawd. Twinking is done for two reasons: Profit, and the challenge. A 60 twink can roll bank by helping people in ToTW get their stuff. a 24+ twink can roll bank by harvesting NCU rings/juggler's treat. A 100 twink can harvest the biomere director.

Past that, though, twinking is only done for pvp and the challenge of twinking. The setup to equipt ql 200 implants may cost up to 10 million credz. If you think you will get all your money back just by having that shaving of an advantage, I'll laugh in your face.

If you are in the game to get money, xp, and generally have fun, stick to twinking about 20% above your lvl. You'll save money, time, and pain.
Last edited by Messeka on Sun Jan 15, 2006 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mod Squad
Re-Ex-Fr00b

tweek
Seasoned
Seasoned

Post by tweek » Sun Jan 15, 2006 12:40 pm

yeah twinking is dam expensive im collecting money for my lvl 150 doc and ill need about 400+ mill for everthing

Sferykal
ModSquad
ModSquad

Post by Sferykal » Sun Jan 15, 2006 5:53 pm

Yes, maybe I could have just labeled it "How to get QL200 implants in!". It's pretty hard for level 100 froobie soldiers, other professions (e.g. fixers and docs) have it way easier in this regard; means you can get into QL200 earlier than that. I hope this is good enough as a resource, if anyone is a couple points short and needs ideas what to do now. No fun if you sit there with 930 treatment and wonder if it is possible to get "only" 21 more ...

Anyway, the story behind my soldier is, that I regulary got her updated in terms of equipment. At level 42 it was a 6 slot belt (QL162), at level 56 QL114 implants (full set), at level 75 QL144 implants (full set) and at level 100 I wanted to get her QL200 implants. Up until the QL200 implants things were pretty easy (full sets means I didn't even use treatment implants; secondly it's a relative term, what I see as easy is probably hard thinking for others, I still remember my own feeble attempts at twinking :cool:). Somehow, I ended up with like QL190ish implants at level 100 after using the simple approach, which made me wonder if QL200 is even possible at that level. Yes, I used a lot of little mean tricks here, pushed the things borderline, but it worked out in the end.

I did it for the sake of doing it, I don't expect extra cash out of this. Nor do I call her twink; she is twinked up, granted, but I messed with her IPs, so she is far from being as powerful as she could be (I do have all reset-points, however, in the large picture the IPs were not wasted, just used at a wrong time).

Unfortunately, I didn't count all the cash I wasted in this, it's probably ~6 million (clusters and more clusters and ... a couple tips for buffs/other stuff), because I didn't have to pay for VTEs (borrowed them), I didn't pay for any implant, because I either had them already (145 doc alt) or got it from someone for free. The other equipment got either blitzed or obtained a good while ago (and I tend to get this stuff myself instead of wasting tons of cash, e.g. if anyone wants to spend like 1 or 2mil into buying QL44 Beyer pistols, do that, I wont). Thus, the real costs are higher, if you count everything together. It just pays off to be a packrat :P

Another thing: Don't even think about making a soldier twink for Foremans. Make a Fixer with GA (if you were lucky or can afford it), you will be able to solo everything in there, and you don't need to mess that bad with treatment implants (unless you want QL200 implants with Jobe clusters, good luck :P).

Abigail Jessen
ModSquad
ModSquad

Post by Abigail Jessen » Sun Jan 15, 2006 6:24 pm

You really do love working with numbers Sferykal :shock:
[img:4262b5a2df]http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a375/AbJess/sig8.jpg[/img:4262b5a2df]
Major League Gaming Tournament (Halo 2) Wish me luck
If you play Halo 2 on Xbox Live, PM me! I will make room on my Friend's list for anyone here.

[img:4262b5a2df]http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/bg/type ... abbyyy.png[/img:4262b5a2df]

hellscream
Seasoned
Seasoned

Post by hellscream » Sun Jan 15, 2006 11:35 pm

i'm not sure wether u will be able to get the base abilities high enough for ql 200 imps ... 404 in each of the base abilities. Of course u can make ur imps stam , str or agi based but u might miss out one important implant which might end up as psychic requirment because of the clusters u needed ( 404 psychic is a pain twinking with ur charcter )

i'd also like to add that agent is almost the easiest twinkable profession if u can get the treatment high enough , base abilities wont be a problem ... coz agents can use some buffs , wepons which other classes may miss.
HELLSCREAMX LVL 200 AGENT ON RK2

im now a heck noob .... some one help me out with SL plx

Sferykal
ModSquad
ModSquad

Post by Sferykal » Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:56 am

I have STA, AGL, SEN and STR based implants in the final setup. During the whole process I always used the treatment rifle.

Getting PSY and INT to 404 is indeed difficult, because you cannot buff these like the other abilities. You have to rely on items, like VTE(s) or Shades of Lucubration (for Nanomages only), buffing weapons (pistols mostly), and implants. Especially latter ones give you some trouble, because of clashes either between PSY, INT and treatment clusters. I have been through this trying to get implants and armor on my doc at 125, without having access to VTEs or these Shades (but knew about these things). Stupid thing was, I had to twink on the armor first, and then get the final implants in, which means med suit was not an option ... fortunately docs are not "treatment disabled" like soldiers are.

hellscream
Seasoned
Seasoned

Post by hellscream » Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:39 am

agents and mp can cast odin's eye ... very usefull psy int buff :D

Ferengi
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Ferengi » Thu Jan 19, 2006 2:12 am

Messeka wrote:Twinking is only done for the challenge of twinking.
Yup! And everyone of these "QL200 implants at XXX" posts never has all implants at QL 200, only some of them. Reading the struggles to get 10 more treatment only made me grin, since that is a whole 2 levels (and surely someone that can twink can get 2 levels when at level 100).

I liked the post because of the new items listed, that old stuff at arcanum is too out of date nowdays.

The various level locked dungeons are indeed the primary reason that people try this implant game, but many times they could just learn to play better. I've seen a lot of twinks running away from some mob that I simply destroyed with better tactics. Ever try kiting with a gun? Hint, the mob runs to the place you last fired from 8)
Adios, thanks for the fish

hellscream
Seasoned
Seasoned

Post by hellscream » Thu Jan 19, 2006 2:16 am

lol .. i also used to kite PW borgs at lvl 120 or so , takes more time than a meele or nt kiting but still is fine if u can kill 200 mobs at 120 solo :)

Sferykal
ModSquad
ModSquad

Post by Sferykal » Thu Jan 19, 2006 3:58 am

Ferengi wrote:
Messeka wrote:Twinking is only done for the challenge of twinking.
Yup! And everyone of these "QL200 implants at XXX" posts never has all implants at QL 200, only some of them. Reading the struggles to get 10 more treatment only made me grin, since that is a whole 2 levels (and surely someone that can twink can get 2 levels when at level 100).
I wrote that all but 3 (unfortunately important) implants are QL 200 (see "QL 200 implants!"). If I get QL 200 into all slots I would have written QL 200 full set (at least that's the terminology I use to clarify this and make (the valid) distiction to non full sets).

I could have gained more levels, infact I was thinking through all my options. In the end I still wanted to do some more Foremans (got the most important stuff from there) and somehow I wanted to know if it is possible.
Ferengi wrote:The various level locked dungeons are indeed the primary reason that people try this implant game, but many times they could just learn to play better. I've seen a lot of twinks running away from some mob that I simply destroyed with better tactics. Ever try kiting with a gun? Hint, the mob runs to the place you last fired from 8)
This soldier is by no means a twink in the way I understand the meaning of it. She got QL 200 implants in, but has some deficiancies in other areas (and I'm well aware of this).

My playstyle is to stand in front of the mobs and kick their butt (or they kick mine). I value such fights much higher than kiting. Furthermore, you cannot always kite or shouldn't for various reasons, especially when it comes to certain dungeon bosses. But yes, there is more to a twink than just high QL implants and equipment (the reason why I don't call my soldier a twink).

Messeka
Seasoned
Seasoned

Post by Messeka » Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:51 am

Sferykal wrote:My playstyle is to stand in front of the mobs and kick their butt (or they kick mine). I value such fights much higher than kiting. Furthermore, you cannot always kite or shouldn't for various reasons, especially when it comes to certain dungeon bosses. But yes, there is more to a twink than just high QL implants and equipment (the reason why I don't call my soldier a twink).
That is also profession depended :) 2k hp engies standing their ground is a losing tactic :roll:
Mod Squad
Re-Ex-Fr00b

Solumus
Hardened
Hardened

Post by Solumus » Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:50 am

I missed this post earlier in the week...but just wanted to say, GREAT JOB!

Very good post on the mechanics of buffing treatment. Thanks.
Joota-- Fixer
Corrid-- Meta-Physicist
Jooshade-- Shade
-------------------------
Squad Commander -- Knights of Ka
All on Rimor

Ferengi
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Ferengi » Sat Jan 21, 2006 1:00 am

Sferykal wrote:..If I get QL 200 into all slots I would have written QL 200 full set...
I liked the post, I found it useful. It is probably the best of the 'QL 200' posts I've seen. It's really a Treatment HOWTO, updated to the current game. Seems like a wiki item.
Adios, thanks for the fish