Dredd's Guide to Low Level Twinking: Required Reading!

Post here to share information about places you've been, tips you have, or anything you feel would be worthwhile for others to know about.
hahnsoo
Elite
Elite

Dredd's Guide to Low Level Twinking: Required Reading!

Post by hahnsoo » Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:40 pm

http://forums.anarchy-online.com/showth ... p?t=525818

Dredd is one of the best low level twinkers out there. This guide is a fantastic read, especially for folks who want to start to push the limits of what is possible. The vast majority of his advice is Froob Friendly. And, the example he has in that guide involves an ITD Enforcer (wewt!). :D

EDIT: As far as the pedigree of the guide writer, here are his own words:
If anyone is curious who I am and why I think I’m qualified to write a guide- you’re right, I may not be . I don’t claim to be the best twinker in the game by any means, but I have had some fun with low level twinks and figured I could pass on some of what I’ve learned to anyone else who is interested. Some of my more notable twinks you may have heard of: DoctorSmooth- level 1 Doctor with Cure For Baldness, Temple Shoulder Pads and some QL80 imps. Stexer- the Level 1 Froob Trader killing Abmouth- some QL73 imps 166 NCU. Flurrytail- Level 6 Trader with GTA, Howling Skulls. IronCircle- Lvl 7 Doc with GTA- not such a big deal any more . Anyway, I don’t say that to brag at all, just to identify myself in case you’ve seen me around and hopefully add some credibility that I may have a little to offer in the area of low level twinks
"Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed." G.K.Chesterton
Years of experience means years of learning bad habits.
~ Proud Member of Newcomers Alliance ~ My AO Guide

Toledom
Hardened
Hardened

wow

Post by Toledom » Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:33 am

wow,
first saw the vids on youtube.... rly rly nice guide!!!!!

Bump for the ITD's :twisted:

Accomplice
Seasoned
Seasoned

Post by Accomplice » Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:19 am

That guy indeed deserves his reputation for being good at squeezing high equip in. And it's not wrong that with a high weap (with reasonable dmg range), high HP and thick ACs, you are wihtout doubt on the safe side in PvM :)

Planning is important, it'd take you far longer if you do it the let's-see-what-i-can-fit-in-next-way than if you have already crunched your numbers and prepared all your imps needed.

For my last twinking project, I used a table calculation to plan my implant QLs. My tools were just as Dredd's, mainly Implanthelper and AO skill emulator.

Below an example
While it is sure good to have high stuff equipped, I had to learn that smart ideas can still outperform just high equipment. I know such a guy, and he amazes me again and again. Last project I saw from him was a lvl31 MA with no evades, and using a rifle/pistol split req weap and another rifle (with burst/FullAuto) as part of his alph o.0 Saw him own a higher lvl styg enf...
mmorpg addiction... [1][2][3]

Apphire
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Apphire » Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:24 am

I have bookmarked it. If his guide approaches anything like the quality of yours, hahnsoo, then it will be essential reading.

GDB2222
Veteran
Veteran

Post by GDB2222 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:24 pm

It's an excellent guide! *Extremely* detailed and full of useful stuff. See also his blog, mentioned there.

There's a couple of tricks he did not mention (or perhaps just did not make clear) for getting more NCUs:

1) Pair of Electronicum pistols ql 1 => +4 NCUs. Get the buffs and then remove the pistols. The buffs remain even though your NCUs are now 4 lower. Can do the same with some bits of armour. So put on carb, get the buffs, then put on med suit. This maybe ought to be classed as an exploit, but fortunately isn't, as it's so widely used.

2) Fixer perk - NCU Booster = + 10 NCUs (froob friendly)

Modu
At least I'm 220.

Post by Modu » Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:17 pm

GDB2222 wrote:2) Fixer perk - NCU Booster = + 10 NCUs (froob friendly)
Not that it is levellocked to 10+.
So say we all.

Weeping Willow
ModSquad
ModSquad

Post by Weeping Willow » Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:53 pm

GDB2222 wrote: 2) Fixer perk - NCU Booster = + 10 NCUs (froob friendly)
are you sure about the Froob friendly part ??

anyway, anyone able to post on official forum could thank him on behalf of Aofroobs :) and maybe direct him here if he wants to post other froob friendly stuff :)
RK1, Omni and General of Newcomers Alliance

GridPain Fixer TL5 Frank Nfurter : Doc TL5 (pvp version)
JimProfit : Level 100 Crat (foreman helper)
New leveling crat : Coredumped

WeepinWillow, Forcedevente, Whipinwillow, Slayie, NeedleWorker, Asafart, Ouvreboite, Asafurt, Malaucrane, Karmapolice ... etc etc ...

Accomplice
Seasoned
Seasoned

Post by Accomplice » Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:57 pm

Weeping Willow wrote:anyway, anyone able to post on official forum could thank him on behalf of Aofroobs :) and maybe direct him here if he wants to post other froob friendly stuff :)
Done.
mmorpg addiction... [1][2][3]

GDB2222
Veteran
Veteran

Post by GDB2222 » Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:18 am

Weeping Willow wrote:
GDB2222 wrote: 2) Fixer perk - NCU Booster = + 10 NCUs (froob friendly)
are you sure about the Froob friendly part ??
Yep - checked it out on my lvl 18 froob advy

Weeping Willow
ModSquad
ModSquad

Post by Weeping Willow » Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:45 am

cool !
RK1, Omni and General of Newcomers Alliance

GridPain Fixer TL5 Frank Nfurter : Doc TL5 (pvp version)
JimProfit : Level 100 Crat (foreman helper)
New leveling crat : Coredumped

WeepinWillow, Forcedevente, Whipinwillow, Slayie, NeedleWorker, Asafart, Ouvreboite, Asafurt, Malaucrane, Karmapolice ... etc etc ...

BigMx
Seasoned
Seasoned

Post by BigMx » Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:56 am

yeah, I have to give that guy much props for putting together an awesome guide. Was a good read....however, 99% of what he posted I already knew or already use in my own twinking processes. It's great for those that don't know those things already though.

Accomplice, your screen shot kinda reminds me of something I added to a application I'm writing for the implant designer part that helps me twink my toons...lol acually supposed to automatically list the order of implants in my twinking process as well as calculate the highest QL I can equip and pick the best base attribute to base the implant off of which is taken from the adjusted stats off of the characters stat sheet....and will be able to print out both a shopping list with estimate overall cost to twink as well as a list to show step-by-step order to equip each implant for most effective and efficient implant laddering.

maybe one day I'll get around to finishing it and as soon as I figure out the best way to make use of the games item database without forcing people to download a whole 300mb DB file, I'll release it for others to use.....as I think it will be a great use to many people....unfortunately, time is not plentiful for me these days.

TigerDragon
Skilled
Skilled

Post by TigerDragon » Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:10 am

His guide is good, but he has several youtube "video" guides as well... and he has extreme bias toward omni in one or two of them. Other than this, his guides in general are all really nice.

The only thing I would have changed about his guide to the nodda gregg quest is where to kill minibrontos. He tells people to go to Harry's when he's right there by Newland Lake. The far side of the lake has minibrontos that I feel are easy to get to and this is where I usually hunt.
Clan on RK2:
Redbeacon - beacon warp / tradeskill engineer (not able to cast beacon warp yet... working on it)
Redrosethorn - Piercing Doc (Level locked at 59 to help at totw)
Neutral on RK2:
Redmedivac - Fixer (will go clan after team fgrid quest is finished.) current main.
Redvestments - Pistol Trader

hahnsoo
Elite
Elite

Post by hahnsoo » Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:34 am

BigMx wrote:yeah, I have to give that guy much props for putting together an awesome guide. Was a good read....however, 99% of what he posted I already knew or already use in my own twinking processes. It's great for those that don't know those things already though.
Well, yeah. For those of us who have done a lot of low level twinking (see my CMI level 15 guide), we can practically reverse engineer anything that he does in our head. But guides aren't for the folks who already know information... they are folks who want to learn. For his "first" official guide, it's fairly good, and it even comes with pictures.

I'd also chalk up his Omni bias due to the fact that there are so many Omni-only items useful for low level twinking. The only good stuff on Clan side are the Nodda Grogg burger quest items.
"Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed." G.K.Chesterton

TigerDragon
Skilled
Skilled

Post by TigerDragon » Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:57 am

Nodda Gregg quest items, Bobic quest hood (doesn't add stam, but does add int), Rings of Tir.

His bias comes in the videos that have nothing to do with twinking... his "newbie island" videos.
Clan on RK2:
Redbeacon - beacon warp / tradeskill engineer (not able to cast beacon warp yet... working on it)
Redrosethorn - Piercing Doc (Level locked at 59 to help at totw)
Neutral on RK2:
Redmedivac - Fixer (will go clan after team fgrid quest is finished.) current main.
Redvestments - Pistol Trader

hahnsoo
Elite
Elite

Post by hahnsoo » Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:05 pm

TigerDragon wrote:Bobic quest hood (doesn't add stam, but does add int)
Superceded by the Modified Omni Armed Forces Training Helm
Rings of Tir.
Superceded by the SLoob Gem rings.
Again, the only advantage given by being clan for low level twinking is the Nodda Grogg quests. *shrugs* It's just a game... Omni/Clan affiliation doesn't matter that much, in the end.