Improve (____) Weapons tools

Post here to share information about places you've been, tips you have, or anything you feel would be worthwhile for others to know about.
Bigtoad702
Amateur
Amateur

Improve (____) Weapons tools

Post by Bigtoad702 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:12 am

Mornin' folks. Seems I can't quit AO...

I researched Improve X weapons tool threads and found few offering any recent information. Most forums posts were 2003ish, with some as recent as 2010.

Here's what I encountered over the weekend trying to find the parts for these tools:

First, Level 10 Improve Crushing Weapons - easy sauce.

>I rolled a new fr00b enfo figuring the Arete upgraded daggers would work with Mongo for heals. This would also allow me to swap in some TD's I already have once I started looking for Thrusting (ql20) & Slashing (ql30) parts. I am currently sick of pistols or else I'd have rolled a doc.
>I drew solo missions in Borealis from Borealis (only 7 mission doors in Bor).
>Mission settings were for level 10 difficulty, then top to bottom, RMMMML for 3 lvl 10 find item missions.
>The AO Arcanum site indicated the PPPE part, http://auno.org/ao/db.php?id=155907 dropped from human mobs, chests and even the boss in team missions, but very very rarely.
>I killed everything in every mission and opened every open-able object and found a LOT of instruction disk's just not the one I wanted.
>I noticed an interesting mechanic occurring: Mobs were appearing in areas I'd cleared. It took a few missions for me to recognize it, as I figured I'd just missed them. But when they started appearing in the main hallway just outside the entrance door, I knew I didn't miss them. They may have appeared close to completing or just after I'd completed the mission.
>The PPPE part dropped from a "Fresh Engineer" who'd appeared near the first door of the mission in the main hallway. I believe this was a mostly human mob mission.

I did not run any level 10 missions after that to verify it, but I feel confident the game mechanic is: humanoid mission mobs, clear mostly everything, chance for new mobs appear. If one of the new mobs is a Fresh Engineer it will very likely drop the Improve Crushing Weapons tool. Gratz, you now have a mostly useless tool. ^^ Improved baseball bats seemed the best use, but still lagged way behind ToTW/IS skulls.

Second, Level 20 Improve Thrusting Weapons [-X Not so fast...

>I leveled the enfo to 20 quickly enough with nearly 300,000 XP pooled and a daily elite mission to the subway.
>Returning to Bor, the missions in Bor occurred much less frequently, so I moved to Stret West and drew them to Bor more easily from there.
>After 49 missions (grabbed 7 at a time) with new settings RLRLRL, all missions were human mobs comprised of fixer/agent/crat types who root/snare nearly EVERY FRICKEN' TIME. I found less than 5 missions with mobs that appeared at or near clearing, but none were fresh engi's.
>In the interest of clearing faster, I leveled to maybe 25 or 26 so I could squeeze into a 38 & 27 (edit: mistyped 57) TD. As this char is disposable I only slipped in the necessary store bought ql30 imps.
>Returning to missions I cleared another 49 with only 1 mission that had mobs which appeared. I'd *guess* that the chance to appear is related to character vs mission level but I couldn't test it since I'd already blown past char lvl 20.
>In frustration out of now almost having enough for the 120 token board, I decided to try team missions... in order to get a lvl 20 boss, helpbot indicated I could be level 29 which I reached quickly.
>21 team missions with RLRLRL settings (keep in mind this is over the entire weekend, and not in one sitting!), and still no PPPE. Also, I noticed the boss was always level 21. :( Figuring I'd leveled too far, I rolled a new enfo and leveled exactly to 20 (Arete to 18, 19 on chick who wants her handbag back, and 20 with the guy for ToTW). Temporary ql30 imps again but with Comp Lit this time to put on the 3 NCU chips from the NPC that teaches mail in ICC.
>Back to grinding lvl 20 missions from Stret West to Bor.
>Enough missions, killing & opening EVERYTHING, to earn 120 token board on this toon. No PPPE. More missions with mobs that appeared, but the sampling set is too small to draw conclusions on character vs mission level.
>Moving onto team missions, I drew maybe 25 of them with no luck there either. LOTS AND LOTS of other instruction disks especially (in Broken Machines) quite a few rings, and occasionally a team mission with no boss in the last room. Weird.

At this point I'm taking a break. More on this later.
Toad

Bowgie
Flagged
Flagged

Re: Improve (____) Weapons tools

Post by Bowgie » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:59 pm

That's what I call dedication.

This experiment is about getting the rare part to make a Mass Relocating Robot - Shape Soft Armor, which is used in-game to make other items.
A couple of particularly nice, but hardly essential armors.

Llie
Seasoned
Seasoned

Post by Llie » Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:49 am

Bowgie wrote:That's what I call dedication.

This experiment is about getting the rare part to make a Mass Relocating Robot - Shape Soft Armor, which is used in-game to make other items.
A couple of particularly nice, but hardly essential armors.
Not exactly, this experiment is about getting the rare part to make the three "Mass Relocating Robot - Improve [Crushing|Thrusting|Slashing] Weapons".

Of the 8 or 10 years I've been playing AO, I've only gotten one of the three instruction discs, though I've attempted for the other two off-and-on over the years. Similar to the MRR you mentioned above, there is no substitute in the game for these (unlike the MRR - Shape Hard Armor, which can be substituted using a Screwdriver except requiring higher tradeskills.)

The details on these are here in case anyone needs it.

Matammyr
Hardened
Hardened

Post by Matammyr » Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:49 am

I have gotten the crushing more than once and the thrusting once, but never the slashing.

I'm a real big fan of these, and the weapons you can make with them.

Bigtoad702
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Bigtoad702 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:34 am

Indeed it's about the weapon tools, not the shape hard/soft armor tools.

I had the Improve Weapons tools on an account from years ago, and I thought I'd see how it would be to get the set again. To clarify, yes I've contacted AO support to see if they had any record of my old account but it was unproductive as the email account linked to it was either a closed AOL email (from the dialup days) or one I lost access to in a divorce.

Trappin
Hardened
Hardened

Post by Trappin » Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:06 pm

Some of this stuff is a bit foggy to me now, but I'll take a shot at trying to shed some light on it anyhow.

As you discovered you need to roll L18/19 team missions to get L20 mission bosses. At that low level you may see L19 mission bosses in some missions and then see L20 in others while using the same slider settings at mission terminals. I distinctly remember that happening and scratching my head over it. At higher levels the team mission boss is two levels higher than the level of the mission rolled.

Crushing weapon disc. I know of a camp of very low level neutral sided human mobs in greater tir county and the engineer mob drops the disc about 40ish percent of the time when killed. They respawn within a few minutes. I made a lot of credits off that little guy when those discs sold to collectors. The older "dovves" map labeled the location as "hunter" camp. Its not far from the lower center left of greater tir county zone line when entering from tir county. The camp consists of 1 very small shed/ building, some large stones and a tallish aerial mounted with one rotor/propeller with twelve or so human mobs wandering around the shack. The one you want to kill is the engineer mob dressed in khaki top and black trousers.

I forget the naming conventions but they went something like this for engineer mobs; fresh engineer, bot assembler?, soft scrap pillager etc. I'm fairly certain that the crushing disc only drops from engineers and may be found in chests but, I don't think that system holds true for the thrusting/slashing discs later on.

Soft/hard shape disc - I recall some friends saying it took approximately 60+ team missions to get one each of the hard/soft discs, so hopefully you may be due to get one soon.

Thrusting - I think it took maybe 100+ missions spaced over a year before I found the thrusting disc.

Slashing - looted this one in a solo mission, but it was so long ago that I don't remember any of the details.

I used ITD's on an opifex doctor from level 1-200 and never once regretted the choice. I constantly upgraded weapon implants (esp. multi melee clusters), rhinoman/sangi/miy tank and weapons - which kept melee damage

Bigtoad702
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Bigtoad702 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:34 am

Good stuff Trappin.

I found the soft armor tool ages ago though, it was hidden in a bag on my TS Engineer next to the Nullity Sphere and Grid Armor disks.

I had rerolled an MP on my paid account over the weekend, pausing briefly at 20 to retry for a PPPE Improve Thrusting Weapons instruction disk. New mission settings from Mission 101 post on the official AO forums with no success. After a few hours, and 120 Tokens later, still no disk. I wanted to use my own improve thrusting weapons tool (aka pencil sharpener) and use them in my eyes and ears.

On the plus side, I blew through 20-60 thanks to: crippler cave statics, the crat buff and all that saved XP. ^^

I am abandoning this pursuit... ugh. If you find one of these tools, be sure to go play the lottery too!