Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aofroobs/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aofroobs/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aofroobs/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aofroobs/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

AOFroobs.com • View topic - Updated in-game planet map (Saavick's Map of Rubi-Ka)

Updated in-game planet map (Saavick's Map of Rubi-Ka)

Post here to share information about places you've been, tips you have, or anything you feel would be worthwhile for others to know about.

Updated in-game planet map (Saavick's Map of Rubi-Ka)

Postby Saavick on Sat Oct 24, 2015 1:00 am

Funcom has added a lot of new content to AO lately and made a lot of changes to existing content. As far as I know though, no planet map exists that shows all these changes; the most up-to-date map so far is Atlas of Rubi-Ka. So I decided to make a new map myself :)
The best way to describe the map is probably in terms of differences compared to AoRK. In many ways my map is just an updated version of AoRK, but I've also made some different choices in what to display and how to display it. So I would like to see my map as an alternative rather than a replacement. :)

Since this is the first version, there's a good chance I made some mistakes, typo's, etc. Please use this thread for feedback if you find anything :)

The download link is at the bottom of this post.

Content updates

• ICC HQ has been updated.
  • The Arete landing area has been added.
  • Three Craters is no longer an accessible zone.
  • Many player city plots have been removed. The ones that are still on the map are still there in game.
  • A new clan outpost in the Enigma Forest has been added.
  • The whom-pah network has been updated.
  • Some dyna boss markers have been updated.
  • Entrances to the Subway, Temple of Three Winds, Inner Sanctum and Smugglers Den have been updated.
  • Outdoor Battlestation terminals have been removed.
  • The Temple of Home has been added (currently only available on the Test server).

Display changes

• The zone layout is an updated version of the traditional layout of older maps such as Huge Map and AORS. This makes the zones fit seamlessly with the un-terraformed parts of Rubi-Ka. I've updated internal borders based on the improvements from AoRK, such as the eastern Omni Forest border and the border between Newland and the Newland Desert.
  • The terrain colours are similar to AoRK, though a little less bright.
  • In a few cases I've chosen to recolour the terrain, when it's obviously inconsistent with its surroundings. Examples include:
    • The western mountains in Galway Shire.
    • The southern mountains in Southern Artery Valley.
    • The mountains in Andromeda.
    • The mountains around Borealis.
  • Guarded locations are coloured based on the faction of the guards. This means I've made a few changes:
    • The outpost in Varmint Woods is neutral.
    • Dreadloch camps in SAV and EFP are Omni.
    • Dreadloch camps in TLR, BS, USEB are Clan.
    • Versailles Tower is not a guarded location.
  • I've attempted to make the map a little bit cleaner by leaving out symbols that I feel aren't very useful. In particular:
    • Ammenities; mail terminals, bank terminals, etc.
    • Non-general stores; armour, weapon, implant stores, random terminals and vendors.
    • Unnamed static dungeons; non-instanced places that look like missions.
    • City controllers; these are obsolete.
    • Land control area's; I feel these obscure the terrain too much. They are instead marked with a green 'x', like on Huge Map.

Screenshots
Here are some screenshots to give an idea of what the map looks like. :)

Download and installation
You can download the map here.

Extract the contents of the zip file to:
<your AO install directory>\cd_image\textures\PlanetMap\SaavicksMap

In game, open your planet map window and click the little 'i' in the top left.
Click Select Map.
Click "Saavick's Map of Rubi-Ka".
Last edited by Saavick on Sat May 07, 2016 9:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Updated with link to version 2.1
Saavick 200 doctor Lokuta 200 soldier Violentmeany 200 enforcer Angrymeany 200 engineer
Vladja 200 agent Meany 200 fixer Littlemeany 200 adventurer Nuclearmeany 190 nano-technician
Sunilda 182 meta-physicist Skathi 181 soldier Boesemueny 179 trader Luettl 170 bureaucrat
Haadriah 163 martial artist Mueny 136 meta-physicist Ryahna 131 adventurer Whaaaaaa 122 bureaucrat
Wildmeany 100 adventurer Svanhvita 100 engineer Kvada 80 enforcer Babysaav 66 doctor
Vladdy 64 trader Achilla 60 soldier Angrymueny 60 fixer Ealhswith 56 agent
Enragedmeany 25 enforcer Yngvildr 15 soldier
Saavick
ModSquad
ModSquad

Re: Updated in-game planet map (Saavick's Map of Rubi-Ka)

Postby stodge on Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:47 am

"Damn! It was about time" :D

Great, can't thank you enough for this Saavick :notworthy: . I gave you my "main concerns" in game but still loving these new Saavick's Maps =D> =D> =D>
stodge
Amateur
Amateur

Postby Slowclaws on Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:32 pm

Looking good, I'll check it out in-game when I'm back!
I have a feeling that I'll appreciate all the hard (and tedious) work you put into it! :]
"Some of us are more maniacal than others. But we're all crazy."

Neutrals:
Slowclaws lvl 171 MA (Glass cannon!)// Sorrowmad lvl 113(?) Enf// Dementian lvl 100 MP (OP!!)// Katathonia lvl 100 Trader

Clans:
Malcavian lvl 180 Fixer // Lamentor lvl 181 Advy // Fairiezt lvl 133 Crat

Omni:
NONE!
Slowclaws
Fresh
Fresh

Postby hybridyak on Sun Oct 25, 2015 1:49 am

Fantastic work Saavick, thanks for all your work here. :)
Serial "Dublivion" Slacker: Forever gimp
Myhealsare "Fullysikmate" Youdig: One of these days he will hit things gud
"Dangerwoman" 10,000 alien kills and counting
ToTW "Munkeemagik" Trasher: Forever twinking
"Subharmonic" There's no school like the old school

[- screenshots -]
hybridyak
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby Llie on Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:19 pm

Hi Saavick,

Carrion just pinged me in-game, and mentioned your new map. I can add it to AOU download section if you like/are willing. I'm guessing google drive is probably pretty safe in terms of not going away, but I wanted to check with you first and make sure that putting a link to your google drive on AOU was ok.

Is this based on Onack's AORK map? Does your map have a "name" other than Saavick's Map of Rubi-Ka? (SMRK =P)

Edit2: Or, I can upload a copy to AOU if you don't want it linked to your google drive. Either way seems to work. But I still wanted to check if your work was based on AoRK so I can attribute properly.
Llie
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby Saavick on Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:41 pm

Thanks Llie, if you would like to add my map to AOU that would be nice :)

"Saavick's Map of Rubi-Ka" is the name I've used as in-game name, so that would work.

I've used both AoRK and Huge Map as sources for where to put water, dyna's, quest NPC's, how to place the zones etc, but the actual images are original. I've re-mapped all zones from scratch by making screenshots from the mini-map.
I'll leave it up to you how you want to describe that ;)

As for the link; I think it might be best to link to this thread on aofroobs? That way the link on AOU can remain constant even if I want to release updates?
Saavick 200 doctor Lokuta 200 soldier Violentmeany 200 enforcer Angrymeany 200 engineer
Vladja 200 agent Meany 200 fixer Littlemeany 200 adventurer Nuclearmeany 190 nano-technician
Sunilda 182 meta-physicist Skathi 181 soldier Boesemueny 179 trader Luettl 170 bureaucrat
Haadriah 163 martial artist Mueny 136 meta-physicist Ryahna 131 adventurer Whaaaaaa 122 bureaucrat
Wildmeany 100 adventurer Svanhvita 100 engineer Kvada 80 enforcer Babysaav 66 doctor
Saavick
ModSquad
ModSquad

Postby Llie on Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:56 pm

Alrighty.

I will make the addition. Let me know if you have a "logo" image or something you want put up with the link.

The link is up: http://www.ao-universe.com/index.php?id=29&mid=4&site=AO-Universe%2FMultimedia%2FDownloads%2FMaps%2F
Llie
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby hybridyak on Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:56 pm

Saavick wrote:I've used both AoRK and Huge Map as sources for where to put water, dyna's, quest NPC's, how to place the zones etc, but the actual images are original. I've re-mapped all zones from scratch by making screenshots from the mini-map.

I was meaning to ask how you put it together... epic effort! :shock: =D>
Serial "Dublivion" Slacker: Forever gimp
Myhealsare "Fullysikmate" Youdig: One of these days he will hit things gud
"Dangerwoman" 10,000 alien kills and counting
ToTW "Munkeemagik" Trasher: Forever twinking
"Subharmonic" There's no school like the old school

[- screenshots -]
hybridyak
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby Bowgie on Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:45 pm

Just want to thank Saavick. Best AO map ever!
Bowgie
Flagged
Flagged

Postby kynethic on Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:27 am

Very nice move, i'm goint to test it ASAP !
If you need more help for further update, just knock ;)
kynethic
Fresh
Fresh

Postby Saavick on Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:09 am

kynethic wrote:Very nice move, i'm goint to test it ASAP !
If you need more help for further update, just knock ;)

Thanks, I hope you like it :-)

The main thing I could use some help with is error-checking. I'm working on a first update already in which I hope to improve the following:

• Accuracy of character tracking in some zones (e.g. Broken Shores, Deep Artery Valley)
  • Accuracy of internal borders (mostly between USEB, SEB, SWB and 4 Holes)
  • Fix a few small errors (e.g. the water in southern DAV does 't quite reach the zone border, the whom-pah in Wine is slightly off)
  • Joe Two-Fingers can spawn in an additional location that isn't on AO-Universe, so I will add it

If anyone finds other things that aren't quite right it would be a great help if you could post here :-)
Saavick
ModSquad
ModSquad

Postby Llie on Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:56 am

Saavick wrote:[*]Joe Two-Fingers can spawn in an additional location that isn't on AO-Universe, so I will add it

If you let me know where the last location is and if you have coordinates I can add them to AOU. Thanks.
Llie
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby Saavick on Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:22 am

Llie wrote:If you let me know where the last location is and if you have coordinates I can add them to AOU. Thanks.

He can spawn at 850 x 750 (at the farm near Terra).

The ICC Peacekeeper Commander will describe this as:

ICC Peacekeeper Commander wrote:I heard he was measuring some crops at a farm quite far west of here earlier today.
Saavick
ModSquad
ModSquad

Postby kynethic on Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:27 am

First impressions : the map is really clear, nicely styled, perfectly readable and uptodate (terrains, npc, new whompas, etc). That's a great job !

Potential improvements : restablish the inner pf maps the last AORK had (sub, totw, biom, som, uturn, coh, is, sd + apfs).

I'll try to check out the items you mentionned upper ; also count on me if (e.g.) you needed to test some places you can't access (i also got an active sloob account).
kynethic
Fresh
Fresh

Postby Saavick on Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:37 am

kynethic wrote:First impressions : the map is really clear, nicely styled, perfectly readable and uptodate (terrains, npc, new whompas, etc). That's a great job !

kynethic wrote:Potential improvements : restablish the inner pf maps the last AORK had (sub, totw, biom, som, uturn, coh, is, sd + apfs).

I'm looking into how I can add dungeon maps to the side, so that they don't cover the unterraformed parts of the map. I personally never use them, but a number of people have asked me about them so I will try add them in an update.

Uturn Canyon and Forest are already on the map; they are south of Arete.

kynethic wrote:I'll try to check out the items you mentionned upper ; also count on me if (e.g.) you needed to test some places you can't access (i also got an active sloob account).

If you could verify the markers for the Dust Brigade quest lines are correct, that would be great :)

For APF's I'll want to re-map the zones from the in-game pf map to keep a uniform style, rather than copy from AoRK. I'll copy the labels from AoRK though. Are those correct?
Are sectors 10, 13, 28, 35 and 42 the only ones? Or are there more?
Saavick
ModSquad
ModSquad

Next

Return to Knowledge Database