Ryzom is opened for froobs ^^

Speak your mind. But keep it clean. NON-Anarchy Online related posts only please.
Unkala
Seasoned
Seasoned

Re: Ryzom is opened for froobs ^^

Post by Unkala » Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:35 am

Ryzom is back? Wow. I never thought I'd see that happen.

It's not every day that an MMORPG comes along with a more complex crafting system than Star Wars Galaxies.

Thanks for the news!
"Main": Fetidia -MP
Retired: Unkala -Enf, Dingho -Bur, Receipt -Tra (RK2)

Feydakin
Skilled
Skilled

Yeap

Post by Feydakin » Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:40 am

I tried Ryzom back when I was still playing Earth & Beyond. At the time my PC couldn't run it well, and I was still avidly playing E&B so I didn't get into it. Then about a year ago maybe I got some sort of come-back key and tried it again, at that time the free play was also active, but only in the newbie area of course. I played it a little here and there, but it never grabbed onto me. Then the game shut down and whatever happened happened... I recently tried to get back into it after this new company took it over. At least my account and characters are still there, which is cool.

I'm not sure why I was never been able t get into Ryzom. With the skill-based system and awesome crafting you would think it'd be just what the doctor ordered, but for some reason I just can't get into it. I think it might have something to do with the setting, but I can't pinpoint anything and say, "yup that sucks, and turns me off the game". I still spin it up occasionally since they reopened it and I get bored. The odd thing is, I really have nothing but good things to say about Ryzom. In fact I'd even recommend it... maybe some day I'll be able to get into it better. :?
· Rimor ·
· Hastuur - Meta-Physicist ·
· Feydakin - Adventurer ·
· Ogrenex - Enforcer ·
· Feydagon - Soldier ·
· Shadofex - Fixer ·

Mapleforcer
Hardened
Hardened

Post by Mapleforcer » Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:11 pm

My only complaint is that it's taking FOREVER to do the newbie island quests lol. At this rate I'll only get to see the mainland like in a month...

And dudes, remember, there are no seasons in the island!!! Perma summer, which means that when you get to the mainland you will most likely be amazed at the scenery.

gandoula
Flagged
Flagged

Post by gandoula » Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:00 pm

ORLY? strange yesterday i logged and it was automn
RK2
Zeromp: 161 trox MP
=>froob Kabjunior: 100 piercing doc
=>Kaizoku: 100 agent.
[Sloob]Kabut0: 200/10/8 Doctor [Frozen]

Mapleforcer
Hardened
Hardened

Post by Mapleforcer » Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:31 pm

That's what it does seem like, but you should always check the map and take a screen. At the top of the map, as you prolly know, it says the season and the weather. It's always summer :D

Tobias
Flagged
Flagged

Post by Tobias » Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:56 am

Wait until you see your first winter, with snow falling and the ground white (at least it used to do that hehe)

itninja
Veteran
Veteran

Post by itninja » Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:20 am

I remember reading an article about Ryzom when the company that hosted it went bankrupt and everything was being auctioned (including the then-offline Ryzom "world"). A large group of the playerbase actually came together and put in a sizable bid with the intention of bringing it back online and making it free for everyone. I'm not sure what they bid, but a European company outbid them by quite a bit . I'm guessing that is who is running it now, but am not sure. That was probably a year ago.
Rootcommand Level 219/29 Omni Solitus Fixer

~ Proud Member of Newcomers Alliance ~
NA Forums

Mapleforcer
Hardened
Hardened

Post by Mapleforcer » Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:39 pm

Ok granduola you were right... It was autumn yesterday 0o

Hmm interesting...but I can see why the game isnt popular. All the crafting just takes too much time, and for some strange reason the combat doesnt bring the same pleasure as it does in Anarchy...dunno why...

Tarradax
Wordbearer

Post by Tarradax » Sat Sep 13, 2008 2:16 am

Mapleforcer wrote:Ok granduola you were right... It was autumn yesterday 0o

Hmm interesting...but I can see why the game isnt popular. All the crafting just takes too much time, and for some strange reason the combat doesnt bring the same pleasure as it does in Anarchy...dunno why...
AO has a rather unique combat system that I haven't seen anywhere else (Or at least not in mainstream MMOs) - You can use weapon-based specials irrelevant of your class skills. In any other MMO, a Rogue-type can use Backstab with a dagger but anyone else equipping said dagger doesn't get Backstab. Makes combat in other MMOs somewhat dull, especially after playing AO for a long long time.
Ye' Olde Fixer Guide, By Me.

/Tarradax, Proud Owner of Questionable Morals.
/Baene, It's Like A Beanbag Chair. With a Gun. And a Temper.
/Bonekrakka, Get Your Choppas Ready, Boyz! Time For A WAAAAAAGH!
/Happythought, Hand-Made Silk Kites! Beautiful Strings!
/Littleshank, Choose Difficulty: []Hard []Medium []Easy []Very Easy [X]Atrox Melee Adventurer.

Completely Unrelated To Anything Link

Mapleforcer
Hardened
Hardened

Post by Mapleforcer » Sat Sep 13, 2008 4:58 am

Tarra good point, but also...there's no flow to the combat.

You clamber up to the enemy, click awkwardly to select it, and then start a bunch of chunky animations to kill the opponent. For some reason, this makes it almost discouraging to start combat. Same deal with magic. :(

MrCoffee
Seasoned
Seasoned

Post by MrCoffee » Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:42 pm

My take:

Ryzom has been around for a while, and changed hands quite a few times as well. Its currently going through a free-play time right now, and will stay this way until october at least, possiably longer.

Anyways, Think of Ultima Online meets Anarchy Online meet Morrowind. There are no classes in this game, just skills (4 branches, melee, magic, harvest, craft, and they split off into more specilized versions (1h/2h melee, healer/elemental magic, armor/weapon/jewelry crafting, etc etc).

Tons of fun, 100% of all the items are player made, really friendly community. Oh, and they way you can custom make spells is awessssoooooome. If you've ever played Morrowind, its similar to that, where you can add credits and options to change what it does.

Its a fun change of pace. Accounts should be open for registration, and if they arnt check back every few hours, as they put some new ones out then.

Hit me up ingame, /tell icyy
Icydoc - Lv 200 - RK1

TigerDragon
Skilled
Skilled

Post by TigerDragon » Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:11 pm

It looks interesting, but I refuse to pay subscription fees. If the "free" period is only temporary, I'd rather not try it and get hooked, then have to stop playing when they drop free play.

AO has free classic (fr00b) and subscription expansion play.

Guild Wars has "buy the game and play for free."

Either is fine by me, though I prefer the GW model.

If Ryzom were to offer a similar model, I'd sign up in a heart beat.
Clan on RK2:
Redbeacon - beacon warp / tradeskill engineer (not able to cast beacon warp yet... working on it)
Redrosethorn - Piercing Doc (Level locked at 59 to help at totw)
Neutral on RK2:
Redmedivac - Fixer (will go clan after team fgrid quest is finished.) current main.
Redvestments - Pistol Trader

zendadaist
Hardened
Hardened

Post by zendadaist » Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:12 am

Eh, I gave it a go a while back after a couple of friends of mine who were obsessed wouldn't shut up about it.

It had some nice features - changing seasons/environment for example - but some of the UI was awful, the grind involved in resource gathering made me appreciate just how wonderful mining asteroids in EVE is by comparison (invisible exploding crap quality material veins suck) and I got quite bored and annoyed by it by the time I'd done all there was to do on the starter free isle. I felt absolutely no incentive to pay money to see the rest of the game.

But that's just my experience :wink:
Ophiuchus 220 Engi ::: Nahuatl 150 Advy
Transcendence
Spidershiva 165 NT ::: Silentmotion 150 Enfo
The Union
And an army of innocuous-looking froob twinks...

Unkala
Seasoned
Seasoned

Post by Unkala » Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:03 pm

Tarradax wrote:In any other MMO, a Rogue-type can use Backstab with a dagger but anyone else equipping said dagger doesn't get Backstab.
Actually, Backstab kind of works that way in AO too.

And no special attacks work that way in Ryzom. You construct special attacks the same way you make spells, harvesting actions, and recipes: you build them yourself out of individual cost and effect components. Since there are no classes, there are no class-locked weapons or actions. And nothing comes for free. You can put as many desirable effects into an action as you want and know, but you must always include an equal or greater total value of costs/drawbacks/restrictions.

(On the other hand, Ryzom combat doesn't have the complexity of multiple actions cycling simultaneously at independent rates. You can only have one pending action queued up at any given time. Once you've built a strong general-purpose attack, a lot of grinding combat comes down to putting it on autofire, targeting something, and watching.)
"Main": Fetidia -MP
Retired: Unkala -Enf, Dingho -Bur, Receipt -Tra (RK2)

Tarradax
Wordbearer

Post by Tarradax » Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:26 pm

Unkala wrote:
Tarradax wrote:In any other MMO, a Rogue-type can use Backstab with a dagger but anyone else equipping said dagger doesn't get Backstab.
Actually, Backstab kind of works that way in AO too.
I blame the early morning and the lack of coffee. I meant SNEAK ATTACK.
Ye' Olde Fixer Guide, By Me.

/Tarradax, Proud Owner of Questionable Morals.
/Baene, It's Like A Beanbag Chair. With a Gun. And a Temper.
/Bonekrakka, Get Your Choppas Ready, Boyz! Time For A WAAAAAAGH!
/Happythought, Hand-Made Silk Kites! Beautiful Strings!
/Littleshank, Choose Difficulty: []Hard []Medium []Easy []Very Easy [X]Atrox Melee Adventurer.

Completely Unrelated To Anything Link