Somewhat new player with some questions!

New to Anarchy Online or just new to the AOFroobs forums? Introduce yourself here, ask questions about the game, and learn how to become a successful Anarchy Online fr00b.
Celenas
Rookie
Rookie

Somewhat new player with some questions!

Post by Celenas » Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:27 pm

Hi, I just started playing AO again on a whim over the weekend. I played it very briefly a few years ago, and remember enjoying it despite being vastly overwhelmed by the sheer complexity of it. Since I'm taking a semi-break from That Other MMO(tm), AO has definitely been a nice change of scenery. I've been enjoying solo missions on my baby Adventurer and taking my time with getting comfortable with the game mechanics. Speed levelling and making "phat credz" are the least of my concerns at the moment.

I've been reading through various forums and guides to understand the game better. While they've helped a lot, I still have a few newbish questions:

1) I'm playing on a laptop and can't use the default auto-run keybind... is there really no way to change this?

2) Do I need to do anything special for clothes I equip in the social tab to show up? I've tried a few items on and nothing changed. I keep thinking I'm missing something stupidly obvious.

3) I'm a little confused with weapon damages... for example something is like 12-24(24) I get the damage range part but what's the number in the bracket stand for?

4) Is there a keybind to quickly switch between fullscreen and window mode without having to relog?

I'm sure I had other questions but I've completely forgot them at the moment. Sorry for asking a lot of probably really stupid and obvious questions. D:

Thanks in advance!

Weeping Willow
ModSquad
ModSquad

Re: Somewhat new player with some questions!

Post by Weeping Willow » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:15 pm

hello and welcome

1)
F10 / Hotkeys / fixed keys :)

2) yeah, you need to F10 / pref / visual / misc and tag show social

3) in 12-24(24), the 12-24 is regular damage range so, at best, on a mob with 0 AC, you ll do 24 damage, on a mob with big armor, you ll do 12 damage at best (then this number is multiplied by (1 + AttRat/400)) the (24) is added to your max range damage (minus the AC) when you do a critical.

4) I m afraid there is not:/
RK1, Omni and General of Newcomers Alliance

GridPain Fixer TL5 Frank Nfurter : Doc TL5 (pvp version)
JimProfit : Level 100 Crat (foreman helper)
New leveling crat : Coredumped

WeepinWillow, Forcedevente, Whipinwillow, Slayie, NeedleWorker, Asafart, Ouvreboite, Asafurt, Malaucrane, Karmapolice ... etc etc ...

EDTA
Moderaidtor

Post by EDTA » Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:46 am

Weeping Willow wrote: 1)
F10 / Hotkeys / fixed keys :)
The "fixed" in this case stance for "can not be changed" :P. Not 100% sure (I'd have to check in game), but pretty sure these can't be changed.

This quote from a very old topic explains some tricks to get auto-run anyway. I don't use them all so I'm not sure all still work. You might have to check some more recent posts etc, but I have to go to class soon :P.
http://forums.anarchy-online.com/showthread.php?t=2320 wrote:up_arrow(hold)+ALT(release) - Forever walk forward
left_arrow(hold)+ALT(release) - Forever turn left
right_arrow(hold)+ALT(release) - Forever turn right
down_arrow(hold)+ALT(release) - Forever walk backward
up_arrow(hold), ENTER, (release up_arrow), ENTER - Forever run forward
down_arrow(hold), ENTER, (release down_arrow), ENTER - Forever run forward
left_arrow(hold), ENTER, (release left_arrow), ENTER - Forever run forward
right_arrow(hold), ENTER, (release right_arrow), ENTER - Forever run forward
w(hold), ENTER, (release w), ENTER - Forever run forward
s(hold), ENTER, (release s), ENTER - Forever walk backward
a(hold), ENTER, (release a), ENTER - Forever turn in circles
d(hold), ENTER, (release d), ENTER - Forever turn in circles
z(hold), ENTER, (release z), ENTER - Forever strafe left
c(hold), ENTER, (release c), ENTER - Forever strafe right
(hold)CTRL+SHIFT, LEFT-click on stacked items to display amount. While
holding keys, move mouse left or right to unstack amounts. SHIFT+# (where
RK2
Main: Edta 200 NT,*Setup*, General of NEPA, Raid Leader of TLfiveplus
Mounky 158 agent / doodytrad 163 trader
Wanh 1 trader / Kaiter 60 NT / E Lektra Natchios 24 agent / Mewaku 30ish enfo
Froob For Life, Neutral For Life, AO For Ever

Celenas
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Celenas » Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:08 am

Thanks for the welcome. :)
2) yeah, you need to F10 / pref / visual / misc and tag show social
I actually found the social show tag last night shortly after posting this. It's really easy to miss some of those ticky boxes.
3) in 12-24(24), the 12-24 is regular damage range so, at best, on a mob with 0 AC, you ll do 24 damage, on a mob with big armor, you ll do 12 damage at best (then this number is multiplied by (1 + AttRat/400)) the (24) is added to your max range damage (minus the AC) when you do a critical.
That makes a lot more sense now, thank you!
The "fixed" in this case stance for "can not be changed" :P. Not 100% sure (I'd have to check in game), but pretty sure these can't be changed.

This quote from a very old topic explains some tricks to get auto-run anyway. I don't use them all so I'm not sure all still work. You might have to check some more recent posts etc, but I have to go to class soon :P.
Yeah, that's what I meant by my question if there was a way around that. Thanks for the list of options, I actually discovered that holding forward while right clicking a menu or something will put me on auto-run by accident. Having an actual keybind would have been preferred, but I'll manage. :)

Jondera1
Hardened
Hardened

Post by Jondera1 » Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:31 am

The way I always handled autorun when I was on a laptop that didn't have a number pad (my current one does) was to start running forward, then click into the chatbox and release W. This also works for turning and running backwards.
RK2:
Jondera Greylock, 213/15 Opifex Fixer (Shattered Dreams), Newland City Minister of Security
Damold Garimen, 150/12 Solitus Melee Advy (Lumen Orien)
Emala, 63/5 Solitus Doctor (Shattered Dreams)
Yarika, 58/2 Nanomage Nanotechnician (Lumen Orien)
Delima, 51/5 Opifex Fixer (Lumen Orien), former TL2 BS twink, future ToTW twink
And others

Orgs of choice: Shattered Dreams & Lumen Orien