Don't burn me at the stake just yet....

Lassssi
Hardened
Hardened

Re: Don't burn me at the stake just yet....

Post by Lassssi » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:55 am

It definitely is possible to go without kiting with nt. My first char was (froob) nm nt and heck..I didn't even know what kiting is until ~115 or so.
For froob nts the golden age of kiting is ..say from 100 to 140, before that and after that imo it's not too beneficial. So one MUST learn other parts
of the toolset. Let's face it, NT is not a Q & afk profession. You have to actually know what you're doing.
Especially when people still did team missions, I found a nt in the team being a very nice general purpose tool.
Thanks to their np buffs, they can also be quite nice implant crafters.
Zadamm TL7/fix, Vanishez TL7/sha, Dignord TL7/nt, Digsengi TL7/eng, Digsagent 200/age, Digsdoccie TL5/doc, Digsoldier TL5/sol, Trymeout 200/enf, Partofitall 200/mp, Lariam 200/tra, Fexwolf TL5/adv, GetStuff TL5/fix, Digsnt TL4/nt, Willinger TL4/cra, + 15+ sub tl4

Llie
Seasoned
Seasoned

Post by Llie » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:53 pm

Um... sorry, but I've been sorta following this thread and the little flame war aside... what was the OT? I can't seem to figure it out.

My main is a froob NT, and well, I would love to do more damage, but as a froob without LE doubles and triples, I do what I do. I've played the "magic user" on PerfectWorld and I was even less impressed.

Are we XP farmers? well... being the only profession that has a viable AoE attack, it is also true that we are pretty darn good at leveling if we are willing to kite lots of mobs at the same time.

The beauty of AO is that, depending on how much work and money (both RL and Credits) you are willing to put into your character, you can pretty much do whatever you want with any profession. Want to be a NT tank? No problem. Want to be a piercing trader (aka Froob Shade)? No problem. Bear in mind that the cookie-cutter path is the one that FC envisioned and the path of least resistance for any profession.

I refer you to a really old post I made: http://aofroobs.com/forum/viewtopic.php ... 906#p93381 about the 3 primary paths of NTs.

Aside from kiting, I find it hard to see a viable use for AoE nukes. One of the NT professional (whom I have some disagreement with) believes that kiting is an exploit of bad AI and should be nerfed from AO. I argue that what else is AoE for, if not for kiting? If you AoE in a team, you draw unwanted adds to your team. One might consider it a means of drawing aggro off other team members -- say the healer, but since we're cookie-cuttered to be the glass canons, drawing aggro off the rest of the team is a good way to meep to reclaim. What's the point of AoE attacks then? Just to find Cenobite Shadows in CoH?

What's so bad about kiting? It's part of or god given [FC given] toolset. I argue that kiting is as much an art as any other profession's fighting styles. Well, it's the art of running away, but still... it's an art. What's so bad about being the one profession that can squish two or three dozen red mobs?

Borg Kiter, Mission Blitzer, XP Farmer and darn proud of it.

:mrgreen:
Last edited by Llie on Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

WorldTrader
Elite
Elite

Post by WorldTrader » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:49 am

=D> Llie ...awesome speech. - If you see me in-game I'll invest 15m towards your endeavors. The world can use more ppl like you - I just wanted to show my support :D
WorldTrader (Level 200 Trader/RK1 Neutral)
"You are GREAT TRADER!" - Blastcore
"One of the Best Traders I've ever met" - Zenur
"Damn You are Handy" - Eskondas
"UR AMAZING" - Brutemage
"I swear you are the best trader!" - Wranglers
"you are UNIQUE somehow :)" - Kalvik4
"truly EXCEPTIONAL" - Mezzbest
"awesome service!" - Skytter
"You are an awesome guy" - Toomz
"How do you have so much power?" - Defiler
"the best trader in the game" - Octavio
"u are the most awsome trader ingame ^_^" - Alzyah
"such craftmanship is hard to come by" - Olcode
"hellz yeah froob power!" - Cyrichor

Tarradax
Wordbearer

Post by Tarradax » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:08 am

Just occurred to me that I should look up some of Mastablasta's posts. He was always vehemently against kiting and always had good points to his arguments. Anyone has any of it bookmarked/saved somewhere?
Ye' Olde Fixer Guide, By Me.

/Tarradax, Proud Owner of Questionable Morals.
/Baene, It's Like A Beanbag Chair. With a Gun. And a Temper.
/Bonekrakka, Get Your Choppas Ready, Boyz! Time For A WAAAAAAGH!
/Happythought, Hand-Made Silk Kites! Beautiful Strings!
/Littleshank, Choose Difficulty: []Hard []Medium []Easy []Very Easy [X]Atrox Melee Adventurer.

Completely Unrelated To Anything Link

Llie
Seasoned
Seasoned

Post by Llie » Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:50 am

Tarradax wrote:Just occurred to me that I should look up some of Mastablasta's posts. He was always vehemently against kiting and always had good points to his arguments. Anyone has any of it bookmarked/saved somewhere?
Mastablasta doesn't make any points different from those flame-war inducing ideas described in this thread.

My point is that NT's don't have to kite to succeed, but it is one part of many different strategies NT's have at our disposal. I argue that if kiting is not intended, then what's the point of a our line of AoE nukes and the ability to insta-cast?

Mastablasta insists that kiting is a by-product exploiting poor AI implementation and all NT's should use the root, blind, refresh nullity sphere, nuke, and repeat. Too bad for you if you're not well equipped and don't have NS -- oh... it will all be fixed post balance. Pardon my sarcasm, but I really wish we had a NT professional who was more open-minded and accepted all aspects of NT life instead of dictating to our entire profession his view of what NT game play should be. Bear in mind he is a Atrox NT with expansions.

If FC, as part of the glorious rebalancing, removes AoE nukes and changes the nano init to work the same way as weapon init (where casting nanos get capped at 1/1 effectively nerfing insta-casting), then I will accept that kiting is not intended as part of NT strategy. (In order to stay on topic, I won't gripe about the somewhat narrow vision for rebalancing.)