Teammates out of range of xp when kiting?

Joozie
Flagged
Flagged

Teammates out of range of xp when kiting?

Post by Joozie » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:54 pm

Hello~
I've searched for this particular topic but could not find it. Maybe it is too obvious to even mention..
But I need an expert confirmation and some info on the topic.

So I just started kiting on my baby NT, and was going to level some other characters at the same time just to save some time.

My question before I do that is, is there a certain range where you have to stay within while the NT kites to get xp?
What I mean is, if you are very far away from the kiting NT, do you get the xp as a teammate?
Or as long as you are in the same instance or zone, you get xp?
kinda going back and forth between the two realms :P
MA highest toon still trying to level, stuck at lvl100 gimp
so many countless alts :)

Saavick
ModSquad
ModSquad

Re: Teammates out of range of xp when kiting?

Post by Saavick » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:20 am

You have to be within a certain range, just being in the same zone is not enough. The range is not very strict though, you can be at a safe enough distance to not risk overrunning your alts/friends with your kite and still get xp. Note that there is one range to receive full xp, one (wider) range to receive lower xp, and outside of this no xp at all.
Yalming up and flying up very high works too (high enough that your kite won't switch aggro to the yalms), but you might not want to buy yalms yet for low level alts.
Saavick 200 doctor Lokuta 200 soldier Violentmeany 200 enforcer Angrymeany 200 engineer
Vladja 200 agent Meany 200 fixer Littlemeany 200 adventurer Skathi 200 soldier
Luettl 199 bureaucrat Nuclearmeany 190 nano-technician Ingundis 182 martial artist
Sunilda 182 meta-physicist Boesemueny 179 trader Haadriah 163 martial artist
Mueny 136 meta-physicist Ryahna 131 adventurer Whaaaaaa 122 bureaucrat
Wildmeany 100 adventurer Svanhvita 100 engineer Kvada 80 enforcer Babysaav 66 doctor
Vladdy 64 trader Achilla 60 soldier Angrymueny 60 fixer Ealhswith 56 agent
Enragedmeany 25 enforcer Yngvildr 15 soldier

EDTA
Moderaidtor

Post by EDTA » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:31 am

I have 2 TL5 alts pretty much purely kited all the way by myself. Along the way I had plenty of opportunity to test out some things and I noticed that range seems to define the amount of xp you get... Had my toons flying either very high or just high enough to hopefully not get agro and it was quite a difference. I never heard somebody else state this though, so for now this is just a single experiment, that should be confirmed by somebody else. Worth to keep in mind though...
RK2
Main: Edta 200 NT,*Setup*, General of NEPA, Raid Leader of TLfiveplus
Mounky 158 agent / doodytrad 163 trader
Wanh 1 trader / Kaiter 60 NT / E Lektra Natchios 24 agent / Mewaku 30ish enfo
Froob For Life, Neutral For Life, AO For Ever

Tarradax
Wordbearer

Post by Tarradax » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:53 am

Open your team window. See the HP/Nano bars of your team mates? Good. You're within optimal XP range. Don't see them? You're too far - XP gains are reduced/completely gone. It's that simple.
Ye' Olde Fixer Guide, By Me.

/Tarradax, Proud Owner of Questionable Morals.
/Baene, It's Like A Beanbag Chair. With a Gun. And a Temper.
/Bonekrakka, Get Your Choppas Ready, Boyz! Time For A WAAAAAAGH!
/Happythought, Hand-Made Silk Kites! Beautiful Strings!
/Littleshank, Choose Difficulty: []Hard []Medium []Easy []Very Easy [X]Atrox Melee Adventurer.

Completely Unrelated To Anything Link

Saavick
ModSquad
ModSquad

Post by Saavick » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:59 am

Visibility of the HP bar is not affected by vertical distance (i.e. up in the air) while Edta says it decreases XP? I don't know which of you is right btw, I'm just curious to find out :)
Saavick 200 doctor Lokuta 200 soldier Violentmeany 200 enforcer Angrymeany 200 engineer
Vladja 200 agent Meany 200 fixer Littlemeany 200 adventurer Skathi 200 soldier
Luettl 199 bureaucrat Nuclearmeany 190 nano-technician Ingundis 182 martial artist
Sunilda 182 meta-physicist Boesemueny 179 trader Haadriah 163 martial artist
Mueny 136 meta-physicist Ryahna 131 adventurer Whaaaaaa 122 bureaucrat
Wildmeany 100 adventurer Svanhvita 100 engineer Kvada 80 enforcer Babysaav 66 doctor
Vladdy 64 trader Achilla 60 soldier Angrymueny 60 fixer Ealhswith 56 agent
Enragedmeany 25 enforcer Yngvildr 15 soldier

Joozie
Flagged
Flagged

Post by Joozie » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:46 pm

Tarradax wrote:Open your team window. See the HP/Nano bars of your team mates? Good. You're within optimal XP range. Don't see them? You're too far - XP gains are reduced/completely gone. It's that simple.
ty everyone for your input :) Tarradax's explanation is simple to keep in mind.
Since I don't have yalms for the alts, I think I'll go ahead and put them somewhere i can see their bars but not too close to overrun them.
Gotta try it out and see how it goes.
kinda going back and forth between the two realms :P
MA highest toon still trying to level, stuck at lvl100 gimp
so many countless alts :)

Randomchance
Seasoned
Seasoned

Post by Randomchance » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:43 pm

Back when i used to kite i was fairly certain that range affected xp fairly substantially. From memory it was something like 20% more xp for being on the kill as apposed to 50m+ away. I havent done any concrete tests, but i did seem to level faster with the nt on /follow and in the thick of the kills than above the kite out of shot range in a yalm.
Metalomania - recovered from the ether december 2010!
Gablerg & Killermuppet - recovered from the ether january 2011!
(seriously guys, keep track of those toons!)
Froob Configurations

Tarradax
Wordbearer

Post by Tarradax » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:47 pm

Saavick wrote:Visibility of the HP bar is not affected by vertical distance (i.e. up in the air) while Edta says it decreases XP? I don't know which of you is right btw, I'm just curious to find out :)
I'd like confirmation to this, because I remember flying too high in a yalm from a team mate would make their stat bars disappear.
Ye' Olde Fixer Guide, By Me.

/Tarradax, Proud Owner of Questionable Morals.
/Baene, It's Like A Beanbag Chair. With a Gun. And a Temper.
/Bonekrakka, Get Your Choppas Ready, Boyz! Time For A WAAAAAAGH!
/Happythought, Hand-Made Silk Kites! Beautiful Strings!
/Littleshank, Choose Difficulty: []Hard []Medium []Easy []Very Easy [X]Atrox Melee Adventurer.

Completely Unrelated To Anything Link

Llie
Seasoned
Seasoned

Post by Llie » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:00 pm

Tarradax wrote:Open your team window. See the HP/Nano bars of your team mates? Good. You're within optimal XP range. Don't see them? You're too far - XP gains are reduced/completely gone. It's that simple.
I use this method too, but with kiting its often difficult to always stay in range of the rest of the team.

Here's an example of what I do for PW borg kiting: I usually have my team sit on the mesa between the two borg camps as close to the edge of the mesa. After I have my big pull of borgs, I start making my circles such that one side of the circle is near the mesa and the whole team's HP/NP bars show up in my team window. I do let off nukes at any point in my circles, but I try to fire most of them off near the side of my circle where I'm closest to my team so when borgs die the team's XP is maximized. I sometimes will refrain from nuking for the other 3/4 of the circle and let my humidity extractors refill my nano a bit just so I can get back into range of my team to finish off some of the borgs.

Zirkonium
Flagged
Flagged

Post by Zirkonium » Thu May 10, 2012 12:26 am

I'm 100% sure visibility of hp bars is NOT needed for maximum exp. However, it's a good idea to be around a spot where you get vision of exp bars if you would run in the direction of your alts for around 3-4 seconds with rs buff.

When you get too far exp gain is suddenly reduced. Beyond a certain distance you'll gain no more exp.