NT nano path for a froob?

Toebiter
Flagged
Flagged

NT nano path for a froob?

Post by Toebiter » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:57 pm

I've had a baby NT for years, teamed with a NT a few weeks ago and it got me to play him for a bit, now level 25, living on the noob isle bubble of better weapons and pretty good nanos, but I don't have a good idea of what to do next. Specifically I am wondering about which nano crystals I should be looking for. I have other froob toons that are higher level, so I can get pretty much anything getable, and this won't be a twink, just a normal leveling up type see what happens toon.

Any suggestions, or even highlights on the progression of nano crystals I should be using?

Randomchance
Seasoned
Seasoned

Re: NT nano path for a froob?

Post by Randomchance » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:46 pm

When my nt was a little baby i pretty much ignored single nukes and got every single AOE nuke. I built her specifically for kiting, when i was in the mood to vapourise lots and lots of red mobs at once. I guess that is the "normal" type for nt leveling. :wink:
Metalomania - recovered from the ether december 2010!
Gablerg & Killermuppet - recovered from the ether january 2011!
(seriously guys, keep track of those toons!)
Froob Configurations

Llie
Seasoned
Seasoned

Post by Llie » Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:24 am

Well, having a froob NT main, I see 3 distinct paths for NT's:

The "Kiter" (medium effort and the path that most cookie-cutter NT's take -- downside is dizziness induced by running in circles and everyone only wanting to team with you for kite teams): Max run-speed, get fixer run speed buffs, up evade and dodge. Max MC, but get MM/TS as high as you can for the best Humidity Extractor nano possible. Max Nano Init so that you can InstaCast your nukes. Try to keep First Aid high for nano-stims. Figure out how to imp or equip stuff to raise your nano points. Don't worry too much about armor or hit points. Equip the best AoE nuke you can self and the best Single Nuke with the lowest Attack Time that you can instacast. Learn to kite, run circles around red mobs. Avoid soloing activities in "tight locations" like missions and dungeons.

The "Supporter" (low effort and the path that most people who don't know how to play NT's take -- downside is the need for teams and the limited use of your AoE Nukes): Don't worry too much about anything. Since its generally true that everyone should max Treatment, you'll do that and max MC/TS, for good nukes and insta using Nano Kits. Try to keep PM/SI high as well so that your limited calm line lands well. Keep armor reasonably strong. Consider using a weapon, such as pistols for both buffs and the occasional damage output. Get whatever huge damage nuke you like even if the cast time is like 10 seconds. Join teams that have Docs and tanks. Deal damage. Give people humidity extractors. Calm adds. Avoid AoE'ing stuff unless you are being the tank and the Doc is awesome.

The "Tanker" (high effort and the path that virtually nobody takes -- downside is if you are unsuccessful, then you end up spending a lot of effort and have ended up with a "Supporter" NT): Perhaps a solitus or atrox breed? (Probably inadvisable to do this as nanomage) Max MC/MM/TS. Get on the best humidity extractor, and biggest AoE and single nukes without consideration for attack time. Try to get BM high for absorb shields. Keep First Aid high for both Nano and Health stims. Max evades. Twink on the best possible armor you can get. Hopefully find/buy Nullity Sphere. Carefully read this thread http://www.aofroobs.com/forum/viewtopic ... 03&start=0 (though this experiment seems to have been conducted with expansions). Nuke away. Stand there and take it.

Toebiter
Flagged
Flagged

Post by Toebiter » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:37 am

Thanks, good advice. Can't say for sure which path I will take, more of a one day at a time, what do I want to do today. Not the same thing, but my 120 Enf has been kiting Borgs for a long time, so I expect it to be a "bit" similar with a bigger circle, maybe run by minimap with camera aimed behind me.

The number of crystals is daunting, so I will likely pick one big single target every 10 levels or so and get each of the AOE nukes. Anybody know of a good list to work from? or the right keywords etc to get froob stuff up on auno that actually exists?

EDTA
Moderaidtor

Post by EDTA » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:39 am

Llie wrote:Well, having a froob NT main, I see 3 distinct paths for NT's:

The "Kiter" ...

The "Supporter" ...

The "Tanker" ...
Nice post. I think the way I did it and that seems normal/advisable is to start out as Supporter. Then you can gradually shift to Kiter around lvl 30-40 (before that Kiting is rather difficult as nano-init and NCU are rather low; it is possible though, but I think having some kiting experience is best then). Could still play a bit of Supporter to get some stuff from totw and Foremans. For the rest you can play Kiter till about lvl 160-170. Then kiting gets a bit slow and doing RK team missions is probably better --> Supporter again.
Our nukes generally have huge taunts, so when playing Supporter you will often end up tanking unless a good tank is present. It's a long time ago, but I remember that even as lowbie nanomage I ended up tanking a few times. I must have been rather gimp, so I probably was teaming with other gimps killing lowbie mobs :P. Though having a good doc in some occasions was definitely a factor too :D. Right now when I grind BS team missions I often end up tanking too. I have evades, layers, NS2,... so this generally isn't an issue, especially not when there is healing around. But at lower levels you generally don't have the IP for all of that.
RK2
Main: Edta 200 NT,*Setup*, General of NEPA, Raid Leader of TLfiveplus
Mounky 158 agent / doodytrad 163 trader
Wanh 1 trader / Kaiter 60 NT / E Lektra Natchios 24 agent / Mewaku 30ish enfo
Froob For Life, Neutral For Life, AO For Ever

EDTA
Moderaidtor

Post by EDTA » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:53 am

Toebiter wrote:TThe number of crystals is daunting, so I will likely pick one big single target every 10 levels or so and get each of the AOE nukes. Anybody know of a good list to work from? or the right keywords etc to get froob stuff up on auno that actually exists?
Not sure what you're talking about, if you're looking for nanocrystals I can advice you 2 things:

* Auno has a list of all nanocrystals for every prof though it would surprise me if you don't know. Click.

* Ramorak is an excellent tool for defining what nuke does most damage. Only thing that it does not take into account is % nanoresist I believe. You do have to fill in a lot of parameters though. Click.

About finding stuff on auno... I can also give you this link to a guide about it I once made.

Lastly I want to mention there is 2 different databases for finding stuff. While I generally prefer Auno, these others also have advantages. http://xyphos.com/ and Anarchy Mainframe.
RK2
Main: Edta 200 NT,*Setup*, General of NEPA, Raid Leader of TLfiveplus
Mounky 158 agent / doodytrad 163 trader
Wanh 1 trader / Kaiter 60 NT / E Lektra Natchios 24 agent / Mewaku 30ish enfo
Froob For Life, Neutral For Life, AO For Ever

Llie
Seasoned
Seasoned

Post by Llie » Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:34 pm

Oh ya. Totally.

Ramorak's tool is a must use for all NTs! http://www.ramorak.com/sl/nukes.asp

The problem is that it's not quite up-to-date on all the various things you could be equipping, but it certainly tells you what you can self and how much damage you will do before your nano pool dries up.

Edit:

I was a clueless NT when I started and built myself an engineer pistol and was basically completely gimped through about level 50 when I joined my org, had some sense slapped into me, and did my total IPR. I zeroed out my weapon skills and I've been a kiter ever since. With some practice (ie, getting my 1k tokenboard) helped me figure out the "landscape" inside missions and *most* of the time I can even kite inside missions. That's ancient history now, though, since I only calm/blitz missions now. I won't fight a single mob if I can help it.

And a word about kiting. It is theoretically possible to kite starting right on noobie island. With nano init maxed and slider set to full agg, your starting nuke takes half a second to cast. With run speed maxed, you can easily outrun most mobs, and so long as you get more than a second away from them (ie, it takes the mob more than 1 second to catch up to you in order to hit you) you can stop, get off your nuke, and keep running without ever being touched. Everyone thinks you're trying to run for your life though, and will chip in and help you by attacking mobs for you, but that aside, so long as the mobs are still in range of your nukes when you are far enough away, you can "kite" (though the "ite" part would come into question).

Toebiter
Flagged
Flagged

Post by Toebiter » Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:44 pm

First click did the trick, this is what I was looking for. I'm still on Shockball, wondering what is next in AOE.

NT AOE Nukes (giving up on formatting this, but info is at the click)
QL NCU LVL MM BM PM MC TS SI
220 220 220 2240 Mastablasta's Cataclysm All enemies within 5 meters of the target will be
214 214 214 1945 Enfraam's Cataclysm All enemies within 5 meters of the target will be
200 200 200 1308 Jobe Cataclysm All enemies within 5 meters of the target will be
165 165 165 1115 Notum Cataclysm All enemies within 5 meters of the target will be
Earthshattering Cataclysm
All enemies within 5 meters of the target will be ... 120 120 120 825
Explosive Cataclysm
All enemies within 5 meters of the target will be ... 75 75 75 563
Kel's Neutronium Plaything
Causes a massive explosion that inflicts 2,400-3,1... 212 66 994
Volcanic Eruption
All enemies within a wide area are hit for 649-140... 182 56 836
Tremor
Inflicts 602-1,349 points of damage on all enemies... 175 54 818
Blaze of Hephaestos
Incinerates all enemies in the area for 577-1,163 ... 169 52 775
Frigid Landscape
All enemies in the area are struck for 370-1,158 p... 159 49 740
Isotope Waves
An expanding ring of highly energized isotopes dam... 146 45 669
Toxic Spill
All enemies in the area are splashed with toxic ch... 132 41 616
Shrapnel Burst
All enemies in the area are hit for 293-607 points... 123 38 572
Barrage of Fire
Causes 255-519 points of fire-based damage to all ... 109 34 513
Dense Poison Fog
Creates a short-lived cloud of poison which inflic... 103 32 474
Barrage of Blades
All enemies in the area are cut for 201-442 points... 96 30 444
Limited Shrapnel Spray
All enemies in the area are hit by flying pieces o... 83 26 398
Plasma Swirl
Burning plasma hits all enemies in the area for 16... 76 24 364
Expanding Neutron Pulse
Sends out a pulse of radiation that damages all en... 70 22 330
Circle Scythe
Slices all enemies in the area for 127-222 points ... 60 19 284
Circle of Winter
Freezes all enemies in the area for 89-199 points ... 50 16 241
Mild Toxic Spill
Splashes toxic chemicals on all enemies in the are... 37 12 183
Brief Poison Fog
Creates a short-lived cloud of poison which inflic... 24 8 128
Shockball
This exploding sphere of energy inflicts 21-42 poi... 14 5 79
Radiation Pulse
A pulse of strong radiation inflicts 13-26 points ... 4 2 36

Goldberg
Seasoned
Seasoned

Post by Goldberg » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:12 am

I didnt went throw the whole thread, but im sure everything already mentioned.. just might add that you want to get the 6 slot belt asap due to the recompiler which goes strickly to the 6th deck... that means around 360CL needed for the lowest belts = ql90-100 recompiler. (i think around level 50 or so is doable, epically for a nm)

ironox
Flagged
Flagged

Post by ironox » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:50 am

Sorry to get into this a bit late - was on vac. I've been having an awful lot of fun with my NM NT - after reading a few of the guides floating about. I was originally using pistols, and trying to tank with blinds. I believe they were thinking of naming one reclaim point after me. Key was putting on 6 slot belt with the highest recompiler I could (temporarily implanted up CL enough to do it pretty early), and seriously maxing MC (pillow and crystal is current weapons, get that Nelebs robe and Miy nano gloves, etc). It' was a great feeling to kite those Wine ninjas at 60ish.

But I have been finding that soloing missions and dyna-killing is pretty easy too. Method: root and shoot. This is where those super high damage/super long casting nanos really shine. Basically - if you don't use a weapon attack, your roots are fairly reliable for between 1 and 4 nano attacks. And if your long-casting nano does at least twice the average damage of your quicker casting one, then use it instead and have a far lower chance of root breaking per damage done. Hallways work pretty well - cast long damage nano - root, cast long damage till it breaks, if there is room root again, if not let mob almost reach you and run other way relying on absorb to pass. Then root enroute and go back to long damage nano. Calm any adds, though most should be pretty avoidable with map extras.

Dynas are fun too. You can kite them, of course, or pick up the whole bunch, root the boss out of the way, kite the minions and then root and shoot the boss (depending on your speed - bosses are often faster, and can be easy to lose while kiting at which point that annoying heal factor kicks in).

Admittedly, I have a lot less experience than many who have answered, but figured I would toss in my 2 cents since most of the discussion was on kiting or team support.
Jennydoit ("Building in your imagination") Lvl 200 TS'ing Eng
Sleipnirfast ("Think of it as a proactive acquisitions strategy") Lvl 195 Fixer
Tradingup ("Oooh, that shotgun's even BIGGER!") Lvl 180 Trader
Sgtfiery ("Reach out and torch someone") Lvl 173 ICSF Soldier
Cthulhulives ("Not your TOTW Cultist. Ia! Ia! Cthulhu ftaghn") Lvl 153 MP
Bandagebabe ("Fine Pharmaceuticals at unreasonable prices") Lvl 158 Doctor
Stupididea ("Party time! Have a blast.") Lvl 162 Shotgun NT
Notthedroid ("Don't worry, I have your back!" [In my crosshairs]) Lvl 132 Agent
Selar ("Really, I'm just a big pussycat") Lvl 156 melee Advy
Sharpanswer ("Have a heart - I seem to have picked up some extras") Lvl 104 Piercing Enfo
Remfbypref ("Go! Go! Go! I'll assess the situation as soon as I finish my coffee") Lvl 105 Crat
Abbienormal ("No Igor, the OTHER subject!") Lvl 100 Eng (Semi-permanent resident in CoH)
And about 2 dozen more alts waiting for their shot at the big time

Toebiter
Flagged
Flagged

Post by Toebiter » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:58 pm

Two bad I can't do some kind of damage related to my xp pool, ;)

Yep, I've been wearing out the reclaim because most of the noob filled teams I have joined make me the unhealed tank.

A pair of power levelers added me to their team last weekend, wow, couple hours of light chat and I went from level 25 to level 37, but its been totally boned since then with the aforementioned noobs.

Classic AO delemma, grind, mooch, or twink. Guess which one is the most fun, mooch and chat. ;) The old /follow and type away on all topics of interest.

Plan for now, mooch and grind until I can put on a six slot belt without too much work (why bother since this is a level it up to big and nasty build, not a xp locked twink ever), then do a major implant etc upgrade at the same time.

I am getting the hang of the root and nuke.

Feels really weird to be just standing in battle twiddling my thumbs nuking, and taking some time to master lag/chain casting.