Using Nukes based on Damage Type?

babaoroody
Hardened
Hardened

Using Nukes based on Damage Type?

Post by babaoroody » Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:58 pm

Is there a guide that identifies damage type weaknesses of Rubi-Ka mobs, so as to help choose which damage type Nukes to use with particular mobs :?:

My NT, Babaente, is starting to get overwhelmed with the huge selection of nukes by damage type.

LIkewise, information about human armor AC holes would useful. Has anyone ever compiled this, or do we have another downtime project to consider?

Actually any information about when is the best time to use certain types of damgage might help justify why NTs have such a wide range of Nuke damage types to begin with.

I would be interested to know if anyone has done any research into this or have opinions about when to use specific damage types.

Other than trail and error, i.e. trying different damage types on the same type mob type and then looking at the damage logs, is there any way to find out what type of damage a particular mob is most susceptible to :?:
Baba
Back in game 2019 after long time away
Mostly playing:
Babaengy - TL4 Engy Froob
Babaemphee - TL4 MP Froob
Babacratus - TL5 nano Bureaucrat (paid account) RK2

Retired or only brought out for special occasions:
Babaoroody - TL5 atrox Enforcer Froob RK2
Babaente - TL3 nano NT Froob
Tireen - TL3 solitus Trader Froob

Ukblizzard
Amateur
Amateur

Re: Using Nukes based on Damage Type?

Post by Ukblizzard » Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:34 am

There is a stack of information here about mobs, not sure if it will really help hugely though as there are some gaps: http://www.faunlore.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Its a MASSIVE project to undertake to complete information like this. Something that AO Universe has had in our "to-do" list for almost as long as I have been on the team. So, good luck if you do start a new project :)

EDTA
Moderaidtor

Post by EDTA » Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:35 am

I've never took damage type in my calculation for what nuke to use. I just look at http://www.ramorak.com/sl/nukes.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; , using a very very wild guess for the AC's.
The only times I take it into account is when a mob has some reflect for a specific damage type (e.g Notum Soldier barely takes any Fire Damage; Urqhart the Absorber has a complex reflect pattern).
You could also take into account that when you do 1 type of damage against layers, you better keep doing that damage, because this layer is gone then, but the other layers are not. Sticking to the same damage-type nukes, doing the same dmg-type as your mate(s) and/or doing the same damage as your weapon all fall in this category. Layers are usually crappy in pvm, but in pvp this trick could have at least a little value ;).
RK2
Main: Edta 200 NT,*Setup*, General of NEPA, Raid Leader of TLfiveplus
Mounky 158 agent / doodytrad 163 trader
Wanh 1 trader / Kaiter 60 NT / E Lektra Natchios 24 agent / Mewaku 30ish enfo
Froob For Life, Neutral For Life, AO For Ever

Tarradax
Wordbearer

Post by Tarradax » Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:33 am

Basically what EDTA said. Pick the biggest DPS nuke you can cast and go to town. Aside from some nukes having special side-effects, just stick to whatever makes the biggest bang and you'll do fine. Only times I can think you'll want to stick to specific damage types is when someone in your team is using some specific AC-hole generator, say MAs with the Dragonfire perk special or soldiers with Napalm Spray.
Ye' Olde Fixer Guide, By Me.

/Tarradax, Proud Owner of Questionable Morals.
/Baene, It's Like A Beanbag Chair. With a Gun. And a Temper.
/Bonekrakka, Get Your Choppas Ready, Boyz! Time For A WAAAAAAGH!
/Happythought, Hand-Made Silk Kites! Beautiful Strings!
/Littleshank, Choose Difficulty: []Hard []Medium []Easy []Very Easy [X]Atrox Melee Adventurer.

Completely Unrelated To Anything Link

babaoroody
Hardened
Hardened

Post by babaoroody » Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:11 pm

Hmm.., sounds like it might not be a good idea to to devote any energies into trying catalog mob damage characteristics in order to base Nuke choice on enemy type vulnerablilites, although I am glad Tarradax pointed out how it could make sense to pay attention to debuffs being cast by team-mates and Edta also identified some individual Dynas or Quest mobs that have very specific reflects to take into account.

I can see to where just being in tune with what your team is doing damage wise could be wise too.

I did spend some time at faunlore. =D>
and while they did not include any information about mob AC's or susceptibilities, they do have a really good section on Boss and Dyna's with auras, giving what each color denotes including damage types the mobs do and any resistances they may have to things like roots, etc.

The site also made me realize how many different mob types there are, and trying to catalog anything about them would be a massive task.

I also checked outRamaraks NT tables and spent some time experimenting with increasing MC and nanoinit which yielded some interesting results. :)

Just out of curiosity I went over my NT's logs for the last weeks missions, and found that the damage taken by various mobs did not vary other than to increase due to damage buffs. The only pattern of interest was that Mechdogs, Hellhounds and Bosses, while they sustain the same amount of damage per hit, do cause my NT to miss more often. #-o
Baba
Back in game 2019 after long time away
Mostly playing:
Babaengy - TL4 Engy Froob
Babaemphee - TL4 MP Froob
Babacratus - TL5 nano Bureaucrat (paid account) RK2

Retired or only brought out for special occasions:
Babaoroody - TL5 atrox Enforcer Froob RK2
Babaente - TL3 nano NT Froob
Tireen - TL3 solitus Trader Froob

EDTA
Moderaidtor

Post by EDTA » Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:44 pm

Not sure it's a question or a statement, but I'll just answer it :P.
The damage you do is reduced by the mobs AC's by 1 damage/10 AC's till you hit for min damage. A nuke that does 250-500 damage will always do 250 damage when the AC of the mob for this damage type is higher then 2500, for example. Apparently the mobs you have been nuking had quite some AC's for the nuke you were using. If you were kiting the mobs would have been high compared to your level, so this is very normal. But I guess this also would be normal for fighting stuff around your level - though I don't remember how it was for me. I bet I hit min damage all the time too. Note that AC's are also in the damage calculator. Some nukes might not be hitting min damage because they have a wider damage-range; this could make them better for some AC's.
The "miss" as you call it is defined by a check between your MC and the mobs nr. Mechdogs, Hellhounds and Bosses apparently have high nr :D.
RK2
Main: Edta 200 NT,*Setup*, General of NEPA, Raid Leader of TLfiveplus
Mounky 158 agent / doodytrad 163 trader
Wanh 1 trader / Kaiter 60 NT / E Lektra Natchios 24 agent / Mewaku 30ish enfo
Froob For Life, Neutral For Life, AO For Ever