54%
No
46%

Total votes: 28

EDTA
Moderaidtor

Suggestion: social weapons and casting

Post by EDTA » Tue May 13, 2008 10:39 am

When you equip weapons in the social tab you can't attack or cast harmful nano's. I consider the fact that you can't attack rather logic since it would look kinda dumb to snipe with a big sword in your hands (or whatever weird thing that could happen). I can't see a reason why casting harmful nanoprograms wouldn't work, so I'd like to suggest to take away that limitation.
I guess they said "If other profs can't wear social weapons in battle, NT's shouldn't either". But since a lot of ppl (merely NT's :P) seem to agree that NT's need some love, I think this would be a good solution since it doesn't makes us better and others can't cry "nerf NT's" for this.
So what do you think? And if you agree, how can we convince funcom :P?

(I'm kind of assuming NT's are the only prof that often/sometimes don't use weapons in battle, but I guess some of the pet-professions might sometimes do this as well.)
RK2
Main: Edta 200 NT,*Setup*, General of NEPA, Raid Leader of TLfiveplus
Mounky 158 agent / doodytrad 163 trader
Wanh 1 trader / Kaiter 60 NT / E Lektra Natchios 24 agent / Mewaku 30ish enfo
Froob For Life, Neutral For Life, AO For Ever

DocJones
Veteran
Veteran

Post by DocJones » Tue May 13, 2008 12:00 pm

I'd say "YES". Simply because of the fact, that i want to go out and look COoOOoool while bashing mobs. Currently i have to switch to "the bathrobe of death" and i am constantly expecting the fashion police dropping by...
Level 200 Nanomage Nano-Technician on Rimor speaking...
Proud Unit Commander of Knights of Ka
Toons:
Zzzzzzwap (inofficial main), Krisplin (main, but buff whore)
Theophrastus (piercing doc - aka froob shade)
Rosling
Tarradax wrote:Aofroobs: [IRC] Tarradax: Yes. You so totally win. ...
vs.
Tarradax wrote: Aofroobs: [IRC] Tarradax: It's all your fault.
Aofroobs: [IRC] Tarradax: Totally your fault.
~ Founder of TL5+ - Rimor TL5+ froob raid force ~ || ~ My Tweet... ~

Sferykal
ModSquad
ModSquad

Post by Sferykal » Tue May 13, 2008 12:57 pm

It's about the hand slots in the social tab, not the coverups for the bath robe (which you can still wear). And no, I have 2 chars which don't use weapons for combat: My doc and my 'crat. First one is pretty much no-combat (aside of deinit + DoTs), and the 'crat follows a similar route, but has all the nasty crowd control nanos at hand (plus the pet/s). So it's not just NTs; however I'm pretty much undecided about this topic (I have the feeling there are some additional implications I fail to see right at the moment). Especially my 'crat would like to be able to cast with "social guns" equipped, though.

Hmmm .... :-k

Saavick
ModSquad
ModSquad

Post by Saavick » Tue May 13, 2008 12:57 pm

Actually I like being able to Mongo in Rome Red and get healed without having the guards jump on me :P

More serious, if you don't intend to fight with a weapon (you can't with another weapon in social) why not just put the cool-looking weapon in your normal tab? I assume you're not talking about the sloob nanodeck at least, since you post it on aofroobs :)
Saavick 200 doctor Lokuta 200 soldier Violentmeany 200 enforcer Angrymeany 200 engineer
Vladja 200 agent Meany 200 fixer Littlemeany 200 adventurer Skathi 200 soldier
Nuclearmeany 190 nano-technician Sunilda 182 meta-physicist Boesemueny 179 trader
Luettl 170 bureaucrat Haadriah 163 martial artist Mueny 136 meta-physicist
Ryahna 131 adventurer Whaaaaaa 122 bureaucrat Wildmeany 100 adventurer
Svanhvita 100 engineer Kvada 80 enforcer Babysaav 66 doctor Vladdy 64 trader
Achilla 60 soldier Angrymueny 60 fixer Ealhswith 56 agent
Enragedmeany 25 enforcer Yngvildr 15 soldier

EDTA
Moderaidtor

Post by EDTA » Tue May 13, 2008 3:29 pm

Saavick wrote:More serious, if you don't intend to fight with a weapon (you can't with another weapon in social) why not just put the cool-looking weapon in your normal tab? I assume you're not talking about the sloob nanodeck at least, since you post it on aofroobs :)
O.E.T. Co. Jess and lots of other examples of weapons that give some useful buff.
RK2

flyingengi
Veteran
Veteran

Post by flyingengi » Tue May 13, 2008 7:54 pm

It could be a hassle...but I personally have a couple toons that don't use weapons and use nanos for attacks. But it is a big thing in pvp to be able to tell what kind of weapons your opponent has to tell how you need to go against fighting him.

Let's say an MP as an example. If he has a panther on...I would go more defensive to prevent more damage from him and should still be able to hit him since he doesn't look like an evade junkie. On the other hand, if he has a shield + parry stick, I would know to go full offensive to get as much AR as possible and to try to get his pets away from me since that is his major line of attack.

This is just 1 example...and that is all that is really needed to say why something like this shouldn't be implimented.
  • Rookie "Flyingmp" - RK1 - LVL220
  • Flyingengi - RK1 - LVL199
  • Freshman "Flyingblades" - RK1 - LVL150
  • Flyingadvy- RK1 - LVL128
  • Apprentice Imfat "Deathinabag" Yourdead - RK1 - LVL49
Facebook

Saavick
ModSquad
ModSquad

Post by Saavick » Tue May 13, 2008 9:41 pm

EDTA wrote: O.E.T. Co. Jess and lots of other examples of weapons that give some useful buff.
Woops I forgot about that :oops:
Saavick 200 doctor Lokuta 200 soldier Violentmeany 200 enforcer Angrymeany 200 engineer
Vladja 200 agent Meany 200 fixer Littlemeany 200 adventurer Skathi 200 soldier
Nuclearmeany 190 nano-technician Sunilda 182 meta-physicist Boesemueny 179 trader
Luettl 170 bureaucrat Haadriah 163 martial artist Mueny 136 meta-physicist
Ryahna 131 adventurer Whaaaaaa 122 bureaucrat Wildmeany 100 adventurer
Svanhvita 100 engineer Kvada 80 enforcer Babysaav 66 doctor Vladdy 64 trader
Achilla 60 soldier Angrymueny 60 fixer Ealhswith 56 agent
Enragedmeany 25 enforcer Yngvildr 15 soldier

DocJones
Veteran
Veteran

Post by DocJones » Tue May 13, 2008 9:47 pm

Heyas,

i am wielding Shining Soft Pepper Pistol in my weapon slot, while wielding the Halloween Picthfork in the social tab. The Fork is clearly a social weapon, and i would have expected to be able to cast while wielding it. :(

regards
/z
Level 200 Nanomage Nano-Technician on Rimor speaking...
Proud Unit Commander of Knights of Ka
Toons:
Zzzzzzwap (inofficial main), Krisplin (main, but buff whore)
Theophrastus (piercing doc - aka froob shade)
Rosling
Tarradax wrote:Aofroobs: [IRC] Tarradax: Yes. You so totally win. ...
vs.
Tarradax wrote: Aofroobs: [IRC] Tarradax: It's all your fault.
Aofroobs: [IRC] Tarradax: Totally your fault.
~ Founder of TL5+ - Rimor TL5+ froob raid force ~ || ~ My Tweet... ~

Nicodar
Seasoned
Seasoned

Post by Nicodar » Wed May 14, 2008 1:54 am

why should nukers be allowed to attack when the rest of us can't with a social weapon equipped?

It is the fate of all cookies to be broken. A whole cookie is an uneaten cookie and cookies are made to be eaten. So who can really deny fulfilling a cookie's destiny?

Weeping Willow
ModSquad
ModSquad

Post by Weeping Willow » Wed May 14, 2008 3:21 am

tbh, I think that casting hostil nano with social weapon wouldnt hurt ...
RK1, Omni and General of Newcomers Alliance

GridPain Fixer TL5 Frank Nfurter : Doc TL5 (pvp version)
JimProfit : Level 100 Crat (foreman helper)
New leveling crat : Coredumped

WeepinWillow, Forcedevente, Whipinwillow, Slayie, NeedleWorker, Asafart, Ouvreboite, Asafurt, Malaucrane, Karmapolice ... etc etc ...

Nicodar
Seasoned
Seasoned

Post by Nicodar » Wed May 14, 2008 5:54 am

Weeping Willow wrote:tbh, I think that casting hostil nano with social weapon wouldnt hurt ...

Except for those profs that have no hostile nanos. And being unfair to those without damaging hostile nanos.

It is the fate of all cookies to be broken. A whole cookie is an uneaten cookie and cookies are made to be eaten. So who can really deny fulfilling a cookie's destiny?

Weeping Willow
ModSquad
ModSquad

Post by Weeping Willow » Wed May 14, 2008 6:23 am

Nicodar wrote:
Weeping Willow wrote:tbh, I think that casting hostil nano with social weapon wouldnt hurt ...

Except for those profs that have no hostile nanos. And being unfair to those without damaging hostile nanos.
For me, the only thing that could be forbiden, is actually 'attacking' while wielding weapons in social (regular attack and specials)... as misleading melee/ranged is indeed annoying ... but whatever the weapon you actualy weild (melee or ranged), you can cast nukes, debuff and such. So I dont see why it is forbiden to cast hostile nanos while having weapons in socials... and I dont understand at all the "being unfair to those that dont have hostile nanos" ...

WeepinWillow, Forcedevente, Whipinwillow, Slayie, NeedleWorker, Asafart, Ouvreboite, Asafurt, Malaucrane, Karmapolice ... etc etc ...

EDTA
Moderaidtor

Post by EDTA » Wed May 14, 2008 8:10 am

flyingengi wrote:It could be a hassle...but I personally have a couple toons that don't use weapons and use nanos for attacks. But it is a big thing in pvp to be able to tell what kind of weapons your opponent has to tell how you need to go against fighting him.

Let's say an MP as an example. If he has a panther on...I would go more defensive to prevent more damage from him and should still be able to hit him since he doesn't look like an evade junkie. On the other hand, if he has a shield + parry stick, I would know to go full offensive to get as much AR as possible and to try to get his pets away from me since that is his major line of attack.

This is just 1 example...and that is all that is really needed to say why something like this shouldn't be implimented.
If I'm not mistaken, right now, social tab is turned off automatically during pvp. This is for the armor and I agree this also should be for the weapons. But pvm allows social clothes and it should require social weapons as well.

Considering those that think it's unfair: I agree with Weeping Willow and would like to add this: Different playstyles come with different advantages and disadvantages: guns have the advantage of being ranged compared to swords: will you call this unfair? Besides this doesn't change anything about how good we fight. So in fact all you say is "I can't look cool, so nobody should look cool". Well, I "can't" pay the subscription fee, so nobody should ;).
Not wanting nukers to be allowed to attack is a way of thinking I can't agree with. Wanting to be able to fight with social weapons equipped yourself, is something I understand way better and I can even be open for it. But I think most people will agree this would lead to very strange effects.

Btw, since there seems to be more profs this applies to then I thought, this thread should probably be moved to general.
RK2

Nicodar
Seasoned
Seasoned

Post by Nicodar » Wed May 14, 2008 10:28 am

Weeping Willow wrote:
Nicodar wrote:

For me, the only thing that could be forbiden, is actually 'attacking' while wielding weapons in social (regular attack and specials)... as misleading melee/ranged is indeed annoying ... but whatever the weapon you actualy weild (melee or ranged), you can cast nukes, debuff and such. So I dont see why it is forbiden to cast hostile nanos while having weapons in socials... and I dont understand at all the "being unfair to those that dont have hostile nanos" ...
Are you saying that an NTs main weapon is not his nukes? And whether you whack a mob with a stick, shoot it in the face, or hit it with a hostile, you are still attacking it. It'd be unfair to those without hostile nanos to allow those with to still be able to attack while wearing a social weapon. And it'd be unfair to those without damage causing nanos to allow those with them to still be able to kill with a social weapon equipped. And I never said I didn't want nukers to have it. I just stated that it is unfair to allow one group to their main form of attack and not allow the rest of us to have the same ability.

Weeping Willow
ModSquad
ModSquad

Post by Weeping Willow » Wed May 14, 2008 2:05 pm

there's a big difference between nuking ... and initiating attack (pressing Q or special)

if you get nuked only ... you can sit and recharge health and HP ... you can sneak ... etc ...

I love parry stick docs in pvp that UBT you ... and watch you sit and remove it with scanner without pressing Q ....

hence the difference ...