I give up this idea
45%

Total votes: 11

Ferengi
Veteran
Veteran

The trox NT

Post by Ferengi » Sun Dec 18, 2005 6:06 pm

After reading the kiting posts here, doing some damage/armor/evades testing, and dying some more in ToTW, I decided to try an AOE only trox NT. Hopefully this will get me out of the 'stand and fight' mode and into the 'run and gun' mode. I'm already making more experience than the nanomage at the same levels.

The IP point plan is very simple. Max all Abilities. STR trickles down into the melee skills, so a Pillow should be easier to get on. STA + BD make the trox the highest HP character in the game. AGI+INT+SEN will be OK, just means weaker nukes, etc but the kiting claim is that speed is far more important. Atroxes have the best run speed too. PSY+NP this is a weaker area, the trox will be short of nano. The best armors in the game are usually STR+STA based, so I get a much wider choice this way, not to mention 100% trickle-down. I can fix most of the breed differences thru implants anyway.

I use a pair of upgraded noob island solar pistols for the +50 HP, they are 1/1, never reload, cost a mere handful of IP because I wouldn't wait for trickle-down, and should be fine with auto-attack is turned off. At the moment, the decision to run is based on how fast the HP bar is dropping, when not running I let the pistols fire since they will not interfere with the nuke. I have the supplies to make a Solar Tinker-Mender if I need to do that again.

The next IP is spent in the Speed bar, no ranged at all for now. The only Speed abilities maxed are cast speed and run speed. I feel the four evades are only useful against near-level mobs, and the primary plan is to run, not tank, so evades shouldn't be very important. The only trick is ranged mobs, I need to stay out of their weapon range (~20m) while keeping them in mine. This means much bigger run loops, and the need for the range extender nanos. A good test will be the dink cyborgs in Eastern Greater Tir. I will fear roots more, but with trox abilities be able to withstand them better (and there is a chance to break the root everytime you are hit -- I've died twice not noticing that the root had been broken).

I max my tradeskill Nano Programming, but ignore CompLit. Past experience shows I can use CL implants fine here, plus with a yalm on the nanomage, I usually flew everywhere rather than waste time getting to a grid point or whompah. Flying low all over shows you a lot more of the game, including those interesting kiting locations. Alien Cities will work too.

I max all 6 nanoskills, there are nano lines I want that need ~400 points in all 6. However, I will not be implanting MC this time. Instead, I want to get to better HE and will work out an implant scheme for that. Since I also max treatment, pumping up TS will give better nano rechargers. If I have the area to run in, I know that I can use weaker HP stims fine. I'm thinking about making the regen stims described at Arcanum since they would fit better into this game plan. These regen stims will cost some IP in tradeskills, TBD. I have a pocket trader for buffing tradeskills, with a pocket buffing FP agent needing a couple levels to replace the trader. The agent runs teamed on a second computer, and just Follows until needed.

On the Navigation bar, I will pump VA for now, later on when I can get QL 90 implants in, I can RP it. Leonas and other chars can pay for the yalm. Still thinking about MapNav. I can get by in the subway without it now, but ToTW will need it. Should be able to implant enough of it for 130 MapNav then.

For beginner armor, I know that an exarch coat alone will provide max armor against mobs up to the 30s. I can tell when armor needs to be improved by seeing variable damage taken, rather than a constant minimum. So it's med suit + orange robe to start, with moving to better robes and biomech planned for <100 levels. The goal is to keep the healing abilities high and not wear any more armor than necessary. Carb at these levels is too weak to be useful, and I have enough NCU. I don't know of any orgs with 24/7 on demand instant super buffs available, other than my pocket chars, so planning something that needs uber buffs is silly.

For ToTW, I should cause some interesting havoc. I see a really big loop I can run in two places, Should be fun to see how it works out, my biggest worry is the mobs losing me and re-healing. So I plan to use the DoT nukes, where the important bit is duration, not damage. So http://auno.org/ao/db.php?id=28602 is up first. One of those DoT nukes had a couple minutes duration and might work out fine. ToTW cannot be really any worse than with the nanomage, and outside areas will always work OK. There is a loop in Steps of Madness that I can practice on too.

--------
[updating here]

Summary

IP spending:

Abilities: max all of these, as many older guides recommend. 100% trickle-down will be handy in many skills (a yalm for zero IP). You want the HP and nano pools as large as possible.

Speed: NanoCinit is casting speed, you cannot have too much. Run speed allows you to gain distance from the kite, then fast cast. Max both, ignore all 3 evades and everything else here too. Nano Resist pays off when you can run with a defense slider and still insta-cast, and when you encounter mobs that root you. I'm still generally ignoring it.

Nanoskills: max them all, at least until the 400s, since many useful abilities depend on all six nanoskills. Depending on your implanting and buffing help, maxing treatment may be important. First aid is important for the stims that you can use while running, use a med-suit or biomech armor (mantis armor also has first-aid) to get the useful stims above first-aid @138. My first aid is around 152, then it's trickle-down for awhile until the damage I take gets too big. I don't sit down to use recharge very often, so smaller repair packs are fine. The AoE nuke you need is the one that keeps you firing, not one that uses up all your nano pool before the kite is dead. That next 'big nuke' is generally only 2-3 shots faster than your current nuke and rarely worth over-extending for it.

Tradeskills: forget the advice to max Computer Lit that you see everywhere, the Grid is not fast to get to that often and Alien Cities are everywhere. Implanting CompLit is simple, so getting a 4 deck belt on is rather IP cheap. You will need the IP elsewhere, don't waste it on CompLit. You can afford one tradeskill, I'm pumping NanoProg for making implants at the moment. I'm thinking of switching to Pharma in order to make regen stims and cash in on the monster parts, as my implant needs are not high. Since you can RP any of these skills, you can choose one to build the char with, then RP it for another at higher levels.

Navigation: at level 14, I was easily able to implant MapNav and spend the IP to get MapNav 130 (showing monsters on the minimap). This is a must-have, the only decision is when you want to go deep into the subway or kite the low dynas -- you simply need the monster addon for Map Nav to pull that off. Vehicles- very handly, I've used both the Kodiak and a Yalm. Either skill is easily RPed (you'll have 5 RP points at lvl 50). Chose one of the vehicles if you like to travel fast, depending on your wallet.

Weapons: use a pair of noob island tradeskilled pistols for the +50 HP boost at low levels. I rarely fire them anymore, since around lvl 20. There are several nano buff items to consider holding, the best ones will improve your nano regen rates -- not get a better nuke. This character plan is based on speed, not big nukes.

Armor: with the 6 base abilities maxed, you have your choice of any armor. Look over http://www.dd.org/~tale/ao/armour/armour.html
I favor the Mantis at the moment.

How-to Play: run, AoE nuke, run some more, nuke, run, nuke, pick up drops. Works for anyone in outside areas, the dungeons are harder, but many simple looping run patterns do exist. As long as you do not have a weapon attack pending, you can do many things while running, so disable the monster autoattack under F10.

---

The Trox is in the shop for new implants, and the skills I've picked up are being applied to the nanomage NT for now. This means that everyone that said I wouldn't make 100 are actually correct...for awhile. Since I have two computers, I'm towing the new toons with the older toons for leveling and the Trox will be a tow truck after implants -- which require me to stop using the now kickass nanomage NT.

The tow truck made 3 levels rather quickly (the towee might have made 4), I needed 2 for implants and had gotten such big kites that picking up a third didn't take much longer. NOTUM SPLICE from Defender of the Three is absolutely vital for a trox NT, it's a 150% improvement of the nano pool at lvl 36.

The implant plan is different, it's designed (as mentioned above) for HE improvement, not MC. Putting in ql 80 implants at lvl 36 doesn't give me a better HE, the next step is still 100 skill levels away, but it should stop the problem that I've just overcome sooner next time; not enough nano as the AOE nuke was upgraded. Even holding back on the 'next' AOE nuke only lasts so long, then the desire to wipe out the pack NOW gets overpowering.
Last edited by Ferengi on Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:35 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Adios, thanks for the fish

lpx
Elite
Elite

Re: The trox NT

Post by lpx » Sun Dec 18, 2005 7:31 pm

IMO this is gonna be painful for you, this is even more crazy then the NM enf i made.
i wish you good luck and please keep us up to date on your progress but
the only way i see you hitting lv100 before you blow your brains ](*,) out
is if someone levels you up.

Neofelis
Flagged
Flagged

Post by Neofelis » Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:01 am

Intersting Ferengi - im sure you will find this NT much funnier than your first. Not thanks to the fact its a trox - but that you got this thought out plan for it and it will get heaps of love from your main ('s wallet).
I've had trox nt but only lvld it too ~30 so I kind of have no experience at all of it. I had some fun bashing em with the [url=http://aomainframe.net/showitem.aspx?AOID=202720"]support beam of intolerance[/quote] if they got to close tho. But it was mostly for looks. ;)

Anyway - my thoughts about this:
Ferengi wrote: I will fear roots more, but with trox abilities be able to withstand them better
Really - Isnt this 100% based on your nano resist?
Ferengi wrote:I feel the four evades are only useful against near-level mobs, and the primary plan is to run, not tank, so evades shouldn't be very important.
Sounds like a good idea to keep evades low - you will probably go for 100% agg to insta cast the nukes anyway. So - only raising when the crits start to get too common saves you alot of ip.
Nano resist may help you evade those nasty snares/roots. But as you probably will kite mobs higher than you I guess it may not be worth it, unless you twink it with implants too. And im sure you got better skills to imp instead of nano resist.. Guess the exarch robe and
will have to deal with this.

Well - Good luck!

Picsel
Seasoned
Seasoned

Post by Picsel » Mon Dec 19, 2005 2:51 am

Solitus NT> Atrox NT > Nanomage NT
Haven't tried opifex NT, but this is it... nanomage sucks... It will be easier to play with trox than with nm...
Rubi-Ka 2 (Rimor)
Picsel - Omni NT 200 - Froob
Equip - Pvp

Ferengi
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Ferengi » Mon Dec 19, 2005 3:02 am

Neofelis wrote:
Ferengi wrote: I will fear roots more, but with trox abilities be able to withstand them better
Really - Isnt this 100% based on your nano resist?
I'm referring to the extra HP, I have a better chance of getting out of them since I will last longer.

Ferengi
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Ferengi » Mon Dec 19, 2005 3:24 am

Well, I've zipped up to lvl 11 and I kept thinking that I needed to stop in order to finish the setup twink, but it was so easy to take on yellow mobs (e.g. 4 to 5 shades) and watch the exp bar climb that it was hard to stop. Of course these early results don't really mean much, I've also gotten much better at playing while working 3 chars up to the 40-50 range before starting this one.

I think this is probably my 5th NT, 3rd on RK2. And I am using all the implants, etc that I spent a lot of time on for the first 2 nanomage NTs. Every char was carefully planned out, the problem is that there is a lot of misleading info in those online 'guides' . I haven't played a solitus at all, I normally favor opifex due to the easy implanting (everything I do is agility based).

At lvl 11, I've title-capped everything, so I'm thinking that the extra IP should go into MapNav after all. I've pulled the char out of combat to stick in some implants and at least get the 80 MapNav mods. With the AOE attack running, and auto-attack turned off, unless I have the sound on, I don't notice how many attackers are out of field-of-view. I'm too used to the minimap telling me all of that. So the one mod (so far) to the above plan is: Pump up MapNav and implant to get to 130 MapNav as soon as possible, It's probably doable at lvl 13, as I'm close to being able to pop in ql 70 implants.

As a break, I took the NM NT, with maxed out nano resist, into GoT area for a spin. It was no surprise that a green-bar mob debuffed my MC -30 points again, really confirming my belief that those 4 evades are an end-game only deal (when you are level capped and looking for anything to obtain a small edge).

So lpx, it's not painful at all. And I've been refusing help, right now it would be too confusing. But I did grab an orange and white robe from ToTW, since that is so common anyway. The next real test will be further down in the subway, when I take on 5+ ranged mobs. Hmm, there is a nice racetrack near Vergil.....

but I must remember this time to collect some cushions.
Last edited by Ferengi on Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

ath0
Hardened
Hardened

Post by ath0 » Mon Dec 19, 2005 5:23 am

What use is nano programming for an aoe NT?
Yvette Nihan Ceaucoche

Cartrox
Fresh
Fresh

Post by Cartrox » Mon Dec 19, 2005 6:20 am

Hmmm trox NT .... The only problem I see is the Nano Pool. Right now nano pool is my biggest limiter.. And I'm an NM. Also I see complit being a challenge for you. CompLit is required for equipping Nano Formula Recompilers and CPU upgrades.

Ferengi
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Ferengi » Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:06 am

Oh yes, I agree completely about the nano pool. So I'll be implanting something to help that out. I know that you focused on nano cost reduction, but I am thinking first about ways to get a bigger nano pool.

As for CompLit, belt items cannot OE, so serious IP spending in CompLit is rarely needed (just implant and buff -- for instance I have in a 3 deck belt for the IP cost of 8-10 compLit points). I would need to find those nano cost reduction items and find a 6 deck belt anyway. Essentially, I'm too low level currently for those items you mention, so pumping CompLit is a waste now.

I think the best scheme for nano pool will be implant to get better HE and just leave MC alone (unless that works so well that I can raise MC too). Haven't done any implant design yet, tweaking in the base agility first and looking at the armor options that I now have. The other nano pool scheme I have in mind is to make regen stims, that will depend on the tradeskill requirements. Since the servers are down, I should do some of this planning work. :idea:

--

ath0 NanoProgramming is indirect, NTs have the best buffs for making implants, and implants re-write your toons abilities whatever way you want. Read the anarchyarcanum implant guide, I can duplicate their results.

Tyranii
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Tyranii » Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:09 am

Picsel wrote:Solitus NT> Atrox NT > Nanomage NT
Haven't tried opifex NT, but this is it... nanomage sucks... It will be easier to play with trox than with nm...
Opifex > Nanomage... but then its a toss up between if its 3rd or better than Atrox.

For a froob? I'd say Solitus for sure probably. It would make things easier. For SL/AI/NW people? Atrox/Opifex by far. There honestly is 0 reason to be NM with NT with expansions, just like most (if not all) other professions.

Have fun with it though, its more than a viable option. People did it pre-SL with many profs. My RL bud had a pre-SL 200 doc and he was pretty awesome to play and he had no issues without perks and such and then became the 2nd Atrox doc to ding 220 on all the servers. His uberness wanted me to scrap my doc for an Atrox doc... heh.
Blessedbrawl, 200/0 Omni Froob Opifex MA
Panzerzus, 72/0 Omni Froob Atrox Enfrocer
Opitrade2, 45/0 Omni Froob Opifex Trader
Imatroxdoc, 44/0 Omni Froob Atrox Doctor

Paid toons:
Ruffixx, 220/30/64 Omni Opifex Fixer
Pugilius, 205/29/57 Omni Opifex MA
Vindicius, 189/16/45 Omni Atrox Enforcer
Medeor, 188/22/36 Neutral Solitus Doctor

Proud General of Obsidian Order

tweek
Seasoned
Seasoned

Post by tweek » Mon Dec 19, 2005 2:18 pm

you might have nanopool problems as froob trox nt i did for a while when i actually had to perk to recherge my nanopool

Ferengi
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Ferengi » Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:49 pm

I've fooled around with the Regen kits and decided that they are probably not worth it. Additionally, I will be implanting MC, considering how often I get -30 debuffs in ToTW. Combined with an Expertise buff, the implants negate the debuff.

I'm beginning to doubt that I will see much of a nano problem, since I'm sticking to the AOE attacks primarily and due to the debuffing problem, not playing the best possible nuke. The claim is that speed >> damage, which makes sense to me. I haven't seen a nano problem yet, and this is at the baby levels where it is the worst. I've only used the nano stim once in combat, when I knew that I could easily run and wait for a 40 second timeout if I wanted some HP too. Keeping maxed runspeed should leave more options for solving any nano problems. There are some armors with good nano bonuses, and those Dark Memories look like a must have.

As for soltis better than atrox, I doubt it very much now. From arcanum "A QL200 Stim will boost your Body Dev by 360 (For Solitus and Opifex, this means 1080 HP, for nanomage it means 720 HP and for Atroxes it means 1440 HP)". Troxes get 140% more HP than a solitus, and the NTs biggest problem is surviving the hits that get thru. There are only 80 points difference in Intelligence between a 200 trox and solitus, and that difference is trivial for anyone with half a brain making implants. When you look at the HP side, time for solitus to leave the ballgame. All the claims of "what's important for kiting" point directly at the atrox.

Picsel
Seasoned
Seasoned

Post by Picsel » Tue Dec 20, 2005 12:09 am

Solitus is better at endgame, atrox is better twink. Evades are worth a lot when mob hits you for 1/4 of your hp. More hp doesnt help you there. And 80 intel is a lot, too.
Rubi-Ka 2 (Rimor)
Picsel - Omni NT 200 - Froob
Equip - Pvp

Messeka
Seasoned
Seasoned

Post by Messeka » Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:37 am

There are only 80 points difference in Intelligence between a 200 trox and solitus, and that difference is trivial for anyone with half a brain making implants.
I hate it when people make this kind of misconception...

The difference is the EXACT SAME for anyone with half a brain making imps. BOTH races will have implants, Solitus may even have better ones.

I don't see you running out of nano that fast, but it will bite you in the a** when it does. Granted, not as much as when sol or nm run out, but they will not run out as fast.

Also, an AoE NT is not some sort of golden chalice. NTs are much more important than simply DD.

A note about doing unstereotypical combos, too. This is usually done with people who have already reached tl 6 or 7. It's a bordomn thing :). If you do it sooner, it may ruin AO for ya.

*phew*... That all said, I wish yu luck. If you need help, contact me ingame (if on RK1) :D.
Mod Squad
Re-Ex-Fr00b

Ilo
Hardened
Hardened

Post by Ilo » Tue Dec 20, 2005 4:05 am

I personally favor my lv53 Opi Clan NT over a solitus. I have good evades and good runspeed, which makes life easier. More hp is more useless.

Now... off to some leveling again... you can contact me on RK2 on Luminna ^^
RK2:
Ilonaya - lv155 Engi
Yuilan - lv112 MP
Waterfly - lv80 Trader
Yuifan - lv70 Soldier
Alentene - lv51 Advy
Ayamea - lv50 MA
Unohana - lv44 Doc
Arysa - lv32 NT

If only I had someone to play with...