Subway kiting?

Moonbatman
Skilled
Skilled

Subway kiting?

Post by Moonbatman » Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:49 pm

Anyone who's been in the Subway knows that big room, with the 3 Discarded Pets and the 2 Muggers on each side. One side leads to shops, and other leads to main subway.

Could you kite in there, is that still too small?

Just to let you know, I've had a lvl 44 NT without ever kiting, but I gimped it because I'd always raise Nano and Aiding skills first, before raising Abilities. I've never kited in my life, and would like to try with my lvl 12. If anyone has a good kiting guide, please let me know.

hahnsoo
Elite
Elite

Post by hahnsoo » Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:07 pm

To answer your first question, it may be big enough to kite in, but there is virtually no way to do it in a practical sense. You would have to gather a lot of monsters, figure out a way to quickly cast an AoE nuke at your low level, and deal with the fact that it's the front lobby of a shared dungeon... people are going in and out of that area all the time and will probably ruin your kite (not to mention that they will be totally pissed that you trained onto them).

As far as NT Kiting guides:
http://www.aofroobs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=450

Ferengi started a thread about a Trox NT he was making. I'm sure he has changed his mind about quite a few things since then, but the discussion in that particular thread is good and may give you a few ideas.

Basically, for an NT kiter, you max out Run Speed and Nano Init. As soon as you can instant-cast nukes, you are golden. MC should be kept as high as possible, but you don't need to squeeze every little point to max this out at the expense of your other nano skills... you just need one GOOD nuke, not the BEST nuke. The best nuke is nice to have, but your main concern is running and survival first.

Your equipment (including implants) should support nuking and running. You'll need as much nano-pool as you can possibly muster. Notum Splice is a lifesaver both in terms of Nano and because of its special ability, which will replenish a good chunk of your nano pool. Run Speed and Nano Init are important to implant. I tend to max out Comp Lit until I am able to wear a low QL 6 slot belt and strap on a Nano Formula Recompiler, but others have different priorities when it comes to Comp Lit and NCU.

Consider using a Boosted Graft: Playful Cub for more runspeed.

As far as outside buffs, while they may not be necessary (especially for veteran kiters), I highly suggest getting the Runspeed, HoT, and other buffs on the first few times you are scoping and training on a new kiting field. You will need to learn new territory rather quickly, and you will be prone to mistakes. The HoT and Runspeed buffs will help you compensate. As you gain personal experience with how to kite at certain areas, you will need less of these "crutches".

The "how" to kite is relatively straightforward. If you don't know, you stand still and nuke, then run until you are X distance safely away, stop and nuke, run, repeat. When the kite slows down, you circle around back to "herd" them into a small pile and finish them off. The last one or two stragglers you can finish off with single nukes or pistols.

More important is where to kite and refining your kiting technique at those locations. Each place has its own unique challenges and variations on the above theme. The Shade Camp in Pleasant Meadows, for example, you are going to kite a small (11 to 12) group of Shades, and you have to herd them out of the "village". This can lead to some rather strange pathfinding issues, and you may get one or two stragglers at full strength while finishing your run. The respawn time at the Shade Camp is quick enough that two hits of a Nano Recharger often paces out to your next run. It's not the sheer size of each run that gives good XP, but the fact that you will have very little downtime between runs (which is a good thing, in this case) and can do many short kites in a period of time.

Contrast this to the Greywolves and Vultures in Southern Foul Hills. The respawn time is atrocious, so it's only good for one, maybe two, kites at most. You will be gathering two different enemies, the Vultures (which are generally hard to target with the mouse while running) and the Greywolves (which hit for more damage, but are easier to target). Tab selecting can be important, but I mainly just used direct targeting while autorunning for more control. I used Radiation Pulse during the "herding" phase where I am gathering as many as I can. Then I start running in circles north of the tower field, until I get a good clump, then start using my "real" nuke. The Vultures go down first, and fairly quickly. The Greywolves generally stay alive much longer. These pulls generally give me 2 or more levels each, simply because of the sheer size (over 50 monsters at once), and take much longer to do than a Shades run.

There's another thread in this forum that discusses the various kiting areas and what level you should pursue them.
Last edited by hahnsoo on Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed." G.K.Chesterton
Years of experience means years of learning bad habits.
~ Proud Member of Newcomers Alliance ~ My AO Guide

Moonbatman
Skilled
Skilled

Post by Moonbatman » Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:14 pm

So, would I have to dedicate time to make a kiting NT, or can I use a regular NT and do the job? I've watched some kiting videos, and they've shown people running really fast, probably with fixer buffs and lots o' NCU. I was just wondering if it can be succesfully done without outside help and lots of credz.

Also, another question: How do people get levels by kiting? I mean, like, I've seen some threads where people complain that players spam their NT with requests to get them levels. How would you do that with kiting?

hahnsoo
Elite
Elite

Post by hahnsoo » Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:27 pm

Moonbatman wrote:So, would I have to dedicate time to make a kiting NT, or can I use a regular NT and do the job? I've watched some kiting videos, and they've shown people running really fast, probably with fixer buffs and lots o' NCU. I was just wondering if it can be succesfully done without outside help and lots of credz.
Yes and no. With a "regular" NT, you can probably swing some kiting with outside buffs to runspeed. However, if you focus just on Kiting, you will be optimizing both your movement and your casting speed. Note that I said optimizing and not "max out" (even though in my previous post, I recommended maxing it out... I like simple instructions). You need to find what works best for you, for the areas that you are kiting in. I personally find excessive runspeed to throw off my "rhythm" in certain areas, where I would nuke, run until the duration of the recharge runs out, stop and nuke, etc... with excessive runspeed, you might have to wait a split second or even several seconds before you nuke again, simply because you run so fast. Too fast, in my opinion.

I'm not impressed by kiting "videos". They are attention-seeking and out to impress, but most of what you can do as a kiting NT is fairly mundane. You don't need lots of creds... you just need a decent AoE nuke, a good humidity extractor, and enough skills to restore your nano on the fly if need be, with Notum Splice as insurance against running on empty.
Also, another question: How do people get levels by kiting? I mean, like, I've seen some threads where people complain that players spam their NT with requests to get them levels. How would you do that with kiting?
As a leech, you get a team with an NT who kites. Then, you sit around in a Yalm or safe area while the NT goes to work. Soak the XP like a sponge. Hours later, you have lots of levels, with no work whatsoever. Sure, the amount of XP per kill is reduced in a team, but you should be able to gain experience so rapidly that it doesn't make much of a difference. Even with kiting in a team with leeches (sorry, orgmates!), I was able to take my latest Solitus NT from 40 to about 120 in a matter of days.

EDIT: On a personal note, I find it much easier to start up an NT without kiting until I am able to comfortably instant-cast my AoE nukes (usually this means when I am able to twink on a 6-slot belt). I use a pair of QL 10 Original Electronicum pistols bought from the backyards for early damage, and the nukes that I buy are the fast-casting class of nukes. I'd shoot, shoot, and then nuke while the guns are recharging. It lays on a constant stream of damage that takes down most opponents despite my low Health, and the moderate nanocost is easily recharged between battles. I really only break out the AoEs at pre-TL3 against trains (when the only options are running or trying to stop the train with your sheer awesomeness).
"Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed." G.K.Chesterton
Years of experience means years of learning bad habits.
~ Proud Member of Newcomers Alliance ~ My AO Guide

Tarradax
Wordbearer

Post by Tarradax » Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:11 am

I actually tried kiting in the subway (Mostly for laughs) and it didn't go well at all - On such low mobs, it takes more time to gather a decent kite than to just blast the mobs to pieces with single nukes... Overall, I really don't suggest you kite in the sub.
Ye' Olde Fixer Guide, By Me.

/Tarradax, Proud Owner of Questionable Morals.
/Baene, It's Like A Beanbag Chair. With a Gun. And a Temper.
/Bonekrakka, Get Your Choppas Ready, Boyz! Time For A WAAAAAAGH!
/Happythought, Hand-Made Silk Kites! Beautiful Strings!
/Littleshank, Choose Difficulty: []Hard []Medium []Easy []Very Easy [X]Atrox Melee Adventurer.

Completely Unrelated To Anything Link

Arcanite
Hardened
Hardened

Post by Arcanite » Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:58 am

I did some kiting in the subway. Especially with the shadows near the first large hall provide really nice XP, but the prob in the subway is that you level really fast into the point where the XP coming from the first mobs is not sufficient at all. I think the suitable level range for kiting in the subway would be around 10-16 (17), but you will level fast enough anyway in team during those levels..so probably not so much worth it.
- Arc

Arcanite TL6/NM GA4 Fixer - Yes, NM fixer.
Arcnanite TL6/NM NT - Frozen
Carlona TL5/Trox Crat - Director of Pinnetti, Pinnetti, and Pinnetti, Frozen
Arcmedic TL5/Opi Doc - Leveling and token grinding..
ArcNT TL4/Trox NT - Running in circles
Arcma TL4/Opi Ma - Leveling and token grinding..
Arcengy TL4/Opi Engineer - Leveling and token grinding..
Archiver 100/NM Crat - CDR supplier, parked to the Biomare dungeon
Beaconer 60/NM Engineer - Stygian smuggler and CoH warper with a level 162 Warmachine.

Weeping Willow
ModSquad
ModSquad

Post by Weeping Willow » Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:02 am

In fact I ve kited the subway for fun at times when it's almost empty, and it can be fun ...

Shades (statue room + down tunnel) and afetr, worman striker.

Not the best kite place ever ... but at the speed you gain level, you wont stay there long
RK1, Omni and General of Newcomers Alliance

GridPain Fixer TL5 Frank Nfurter : Doc TL5 (pvp version)
JimProfit : Level 100 Crat (foreman helper)
New leveling crat : Coredumped

WeepinWillow, Forcedevente, Whipinwillow, Slayie, NeedleWorker, Asafart, Ouvreboite, Asafurt, Malaucrane, Karmapolice ... etc etc ...

Tessene
Skilled
Skilled

Post by Tessene » Sun Jan 21, 2007 6:34 am

At the end, when I soloed Vergil, I had to kite him quite a bit. It was empty of players at the time, and at the other times I logged on, it was empty (for the most part) also. So perhaps the end of the subway may be a place that an NT could kite.
Atlantean
Tessj -- Adventurer (Preserver)
Tessika -- Shade (Shadow)
Tessica -- Fixer (Embezzler)

Rimor
Tessarra - MP
Tezzar - Solider
Tessorra - Enforcer
Tessika - Shade
Tessj - Advy

Free Borealis!!!

Tarradax
Wordbearer

Post by Tarradax » Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:14 am

Interesting thought - Kiting the infectors near Abmouth... There's plenty of them there, might be worth a laugh.
Ye' Olde Fixer Guide, By Me.

/Tarradax, Proud Owner of Questionable Morals.
/Baene, It's Like A Beanbag Chair. With a Gun. And a Temper.
/Bonekrakka, Get Your Choppas Ready, Boyz! Time For A WAAAAAAGH!
/Happythought, Hand-Made Silk Kites! Beautiful Strings!
/Littleshank, Choose Difficulty: []Hard []Medium []Easy []Very Easy [X]Atrox Melee Adventurer.

Completely Unrelated To Anything Link

Nile87
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Nile87 » Wed May 30, 2007 9:09 am

Kiting in subway is possible - but not worth the hassle. I kited the shadow corridor with my NT at lvl 20 or so, which wasnt too bad, but it gets tight at either end of the corridor when you have to turn around and come back.

Id say dont bother, get out of subway asap and get into totw for some teamed leveling.

Other than that my NT is only 28 so Im new to the profession :lol:
Blade Nilenev Daywalker
142/5 RK2 Adventurer of Komodites

Anvilbreaker
Flagged
Flagged

Post by Anvilbreaker » Wed May 30, 2007 10:37 am

Kieing in teh sub is 100% doable, easy too :). I did it with my NT unitl about 20ish. run down the halls and nuke, AoE not those wussie single nukes, the heck outa things that DONT auto agg, this way when you start kiteing in the lobby they dont train onto others. then just run back to the lobby and start kiteing. people usually dont bother you, most they did for me was stand by and watch.
Anvilbreaker-Level 220 Advy
Lotusdoc-220 Doc
Puretankage-20X Enfo

Squad Commander And proud Member of Newcomers Alliance

Nile87
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Nile87 » Wed May 30, 2007 11:35 am

only issue with that sometimes is theres usually an idiot that thinks youre in trouble and tries to help :lol:
Blade Nilenev Daywalker
142/5 RK2 Adventurer of Komodites

DocJones
Veteran
Veteran

Post by DocJones » Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:35 am

I wouldn't bother much for kiting in sub either. Tried it a few times with the shades from the first korridor and it was too much of a hassle.

Nuking them individually show at least a sign of interest in their fate ;)

After sub i went to TOTW for a bit teaming. kiting there is easy doable if you are optimized for runspeed (GSF). Just run down the corridors into the big hall shouting "Chooo, Choooooo!" and then nuke the cultist down.

Next kiting spots are the dyna-50 camps outside Wailing Wastes. The adds give good XP and you can take those dyna' bosses with you (if you are lucky and no one will steal your kill - happens 8/10 times...) :)
Level 200 Nanomage Nano-Technician on Rimor speaking...
Proud Unit Commander of Knights of Ka
Toons:
Zzzzzzwap (inofficial main), Krisplin (main, but buff whore)
Theophrastus (piercing doc - aka froob shade)
Rosling
Tarradax wrote:Aofroobs: [IRC] Tarradax: Yes. You so totally win. ...
vs.
Tarradax wrote: Aofroobs: [IRC] Tarradax: It's all your fault.
Aofroobs: [IRC] Tarradax: Totally your fault.
~ Founder of TL5+ - Rimor TL5+ froob raid force ~ || ~ My Tweet... ~

Ferengi
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Ferengi » Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:12 pm

hahnsoo wrote:Ferengi started a thread about a Trox NT he was making. I'm sure he has changed his mind about quite a few things since then.
Geez, I should go thru all those old posts and see if I agree with anything anymore. I learned a lot from that trox NT, my running and casting skills were sharpened plenty. I still use troxi for testing various ideas, since I can ignore a lot of HP issues and see how well some idea pans out.
Adios, thanks for the fish

Ferengi
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Subway kiting?

Post by Ferengi » Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:21 pm

Moonbatman wrote:Anyone who's been in the Subway knows that big room, with the 3 Discarded Pets and the 2 Muggers on each side. One side leads to shops, and other leads to main subway.

Could you kite in there, is that still too small?.
The major reason people want to try this is the apparently large collection of low level mobs == fast leveling for low levels. It doesn't work in the subway, but it works fine around Newlands, start at the lake and work outwards. Plenty of low level mobs, plenty of room.
Adios, thanks for the fish